I've been wanting a dual sport for a while now and the opportunity finally presented itself today: I picked up a 2006 DRZ400! Got it from a really interesting guy who's super into bikes. Came with a bunch of nice extras like a full yoshimura exhaust, skid plate, tons of armor, the stock carb, tons of carb needles, valve shims, etc. Needless to say I'm stoked. Here's it all loaded up at the guy's property. My F150 sure carries that weight better than my old 4runner.

And here it is safely home in my driveway. Need to get it registered and I'm pretty much good to go. The choke is sticky but the seller included a new rod so it should be an easy fix. 

Now go read this.

The Mobius Trip

Sweet! Congrats on the purchase...hard to go wrong with one of these bikes, and sounds like you got a good package deal with the mods and extras.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/27/20 9:21 p.m.

Great bike. I had one of these. Armor is important, as it's fairly easy to put a hole in the radiator or in the shifter side of the case if you go over.

Ride safe and enjoy your bike!

Woody said:

Great bike. I had one of these. Armor is important, as it's fairly easy to put a hole in the radiator or in the shifter side of the case if you go over.

Ride safe and enjoy your bike!

It's got case guards and radiator screens!

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/28/20 7:32 a.m.

I love drz-400 they are legit the answer of dual sports. 

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/17/20 6:02 p.m.

On the hitch carrier, I hauled my XR650R on my 4 door JK Rubicon.  Won’t do it again anytime soon. Headlights in the trees.  Felt squirrely in every turn.  The F150 should be about perfect.

thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter)
thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/18/20 8:27 p.m.

In reply to A 401 CJ :

It really was. My old 4runner was a little sketch with a bike on the hitch. Couldn't even tell with the truck. 

10/18/20 8:31 p.m.

Did 92 miles on the bike this Saturday if the Gifford Pinchot Nat'l Forest. Pretty rad. I think I knocked some junk loose in the tank, as the bike started randomly shutting off after I ran it out of gas. Still made it back to camp after my friends pushed me down a little hill for the bump start though. Adventure!

oraliaruff
oraliaruff New Reader
11/23/20 8:04 p.m.

Oh yeah! So jealous!

8 ball pool

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
12/5/20 10:21 p.m.

Would you ride it on the interstate?

12/5/20 11:22 p.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

It'll do at least 70, so yes. Once I get the courage and new tires. The current ones have a 2013 date code and I don't fancy a blow out at those kinds of speeds. 

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
12/6/20 12:48 p.m.

I have a street bike, son has a dirt bike, I want a dual sport/enduro and your bike is high on the list for:

A. being able to ride trails with my son

B. having a second bike that's street legal for my son or out of town friends to ride with me

And C. I work out of town for sometimes months at a time and it would be nice to have a light rugged bike I can take with me places like Maine in the fall.

In reply to Justjim75 :

The bike is something like 300 lbs wet so it's not terribly heavy. Not as light as a motorcross bike, but waaaaay less than a big harley or touring bike. 

Edit: forgot to mention that my bike has 18k on the clock. Runs great.

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
12/9/20 6:44 p.m.

SMB?

In reply to Justjim75 :

Whoops, guess I missed your question. What do you mean by SMB?

Also, I upgraded from a pair of incandescent front turn signals (one of which worked) to LEDs (both of which work!). The rears will come whenever I stop being lazy and make a new bracket to mount them. 

Also, my wife got me some kickass mirrors from Double Take for Christmas, and I bought myself some Dunlop D605 tires. The mirrors look kinda dorky but they sure work well. They stick out enough that I see the cars behind me, and not just my arm. They're on a RAM mount so I can just fold them away if I'm on a narrow trail or something. They aren't cheap, but SWMBO gets me nice gifts smiley

In reply to thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter) :

I got a set of the same mirrors, love them 

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
3/11/21 8:52 a.m.

sweet, those are great bikes. I'm a big fan of the double take mirrors - I have a couple sets of them that I move around between bikes, and it's nice to be able to get them out of the way for trail riding.

You said "came with the stock carb" in your first post....does that mean it has the FCR (DRZ400E) carb in it? That's one of the single best mods you can do on those bikes. The stock CV carb slide bounces pretty bad if you hit whoops or do any real jumping with the bike. The FCR also sharpens the power up a lot, which doesn't matter much on the street but is really helpful off road.

In reply to gearheadE30 :

Yep, it came with the 3x3 mod, FCR carb, and that sweet Yosh pipe. 

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/25/22 12:44 p.m.

Upgraded to a larger Clarke tank thanks to a killer deal from the esteemed Prof Brap.

Before:

After:

A nice bonus is that I was able to redo the fuel line between the tank and carb to a much shorter length. The stock tank/raptor petcock/FCR carb combo meant that I had to wrap the fuel line around the intake boot for the angles to work. Now's it just a nice straight shot. You can see all the extra I was able to cut off on the ground in the second picture (the dirtier blue tube).

In reply to thatsnowinnebago :

Glad the tank worked out good for ya and made it ok. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XYcwZQ1w7w0mAt7wlMzyC9xNuqvB1qTwVlzV5ImjGHz6gEvuRZtURh3I3uRkBGsz