stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/20/20 4:58 p.m.

I saw my first commercial for this contraption today. It looks like it has been out for a bit but I haven't heard or seen anything about them. They come with either a Rotax 600cc inline 2 or 900cc inline 3. The only transmission is a belt driven CVT. The final drive is a shaft.

I'm not a bike guy but I think this thing looks fun. Its a lot cheaper than a Spyder. I think it looks pretty cool for a 3 wheeler.

Thoughts?

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Reader
3/20/20 5:49 p.m.

One of my co workers bought one last year and loves it. That's all I got. 

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/20/20 7:44 p.m.

I admit to knowing nothing about bikes and very little about the culture but I know when the Spyder was released, there was a lot of pointing and laughing. Hell, I did the same thing.

Now though, looking through the Spyder forums and talking to people who ride (drive?) them, people who own them have nothing but great things to say.

Yeah, it's kinda weird and dorky looking. It's not fast like a bike of similar displacement. You can't lane split. Or countersteer through corners.

But it's different. It stands out. It offers a different experience than a bike.

I think it looks like a blast. I'd look like a total dweeb on one but that is not the fault of the bike (autocycle?).

maj75
maj75 HalfDork
3/21/20 10:10 a.m.

I admit, I don't get these. No safer than a motorcycle.  Just as inconvenient as a motorcycle. Don't handle as well as a motorcycle.  Less performance than a motorcycle.  Takes up more space than a motorcycle.  Costs more than a motorcycle...

You want "open air", buy a Miata, it's always the Answer.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/21/20 12:04 p.m.

I spent some time last summer staring at these as an ideal fair weather runabout. CVT with reverse, stable at a stop, incredible visibility and easy to park. 

In my deep dive, I came across some issues:

* Cargo compartment and parking brake don't lock, but there are third party products

* Some jawn about wheel nuts coming loose on the front. Never really got a full story on that.

* Cars cut two paths down the road, motorcycles cut one, this cuts three. Your pothole avoidance protocol must adapt.

* Rad is super low to the ground.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
3/21/20 3:23 p.m.
maj75 said:

I admit, I don't get these. No safer than a motorcycle.  Just as inconvenient as a motorcycle. Don't handle as well as a motorcycle.  Less performance than a motorcycle.  Takes up more space than a motorcycle.  Costs more than a motorcycle...

My theory isn't necessarily backed up by facts, but since these types of three wheelers are built by Can-Am and Polaris, I figure the original intent was to sell them to snowmobile owners so they'd have something to ride in the summer.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
3/21/20 7:12 p.m.

Fortnine did a decent review on the Ryker: Video

Seems like it is a lower optioned/priced version of the Spyder.

zilla916
zilla916 New Reader
3/21/20 8:04 p.m.

In reply to maj75 :

I'm a big bike guy, and that's the way I feel. I get to where I can't ride, i'll have some kind of convertible. 

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Dork
3/22/20 8:15 a.m.

Seems like all of the drawbacks of a motorcycle with none of the benefits. 

but if you want to standout, this will get you to thefront of the line. 

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon SuperDork
3/22/20 8:38 a.m.

If I want to do motorcycle things I’m in the camp that wants the full two wheel experience, I know there’s a market out there for a toy like this. It’s just not me.

Now if you could get a Morgan 3 wheeler at that price...

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
3/22/20 9:26 a.m.

Want to make a three wheeled vehicle handle better?

Add a wheel and make it more stable.

Or

Remove a wheel and let it lean.

These things are what people who've never ridden a motorcycle think that motorcyclists want.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/26/20 3:22 a.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

Or someone who used to ride, but now has balance issues from medical complications.  Like my old boss. He loves his. These this do have a purpose beyond "Hey, look at me on this weird thing." 

And no, siting in a convertible with a steering wheel is not even close to the same as sitting on a seat with handlebars. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yrEabZiIFjkXREXDRlgbMV4dEgmjPHP4VKQJm6eniOogRSHPy0mHQwkqy2BA7E9m