1 2
tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
3/8/16 2:53 p.m.

Father of four with one income means that I have to remain alive. Gramps was an EMT, and drilled into our heads that motorcycles made road pizzas out of people. Even Tunadad, who doesn't ever listen to anyone ever, stopped riding because of bad experiences coupled with that advice. I can't afford it anyway, because I would still need to keep a car for bringing Tunakids around.

But I still want a Ducati Monster.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
3/8/16 2:54 p.m.

Settler.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
3/8/16 2:57 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote: Settler.

HA! Good memory!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/8/16 3:07 p.m.

If you're looking for simpathy, you won't get it from me. I'm a motorcyclist, and a pilot, so I have a deathwish.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
3/8/16 3:10 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed:

All you need to do now is underwater spelunking.

java230
java230 HalfDork
3/8/16 3:14 p.m.

I too want one. I had one once, and sold it, that was my chance according to SWMBO.... Living in the city with lots of texting drivers doesn't inspire confidence.

calteg
calteg Dork
3/8/16 3:29 p.m.

I rode in L.A. for a few years. Wife put a halt to that once I proposed. In hindsight, I'm glad she did.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non Dork
3/8/16 3:42 p.m.

Get yourself one but to be fair to your wife and kids. Get a 1-5 million dollar insurance policy in case you screw up and your family still gets well taken care of.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/8/16 3:54 p.m.

I test rode one once. A Honda 750LE. I decided if I ever owned one I would die a horrible, painful death and walked away.

That was 30 years ago and I'm still alive.

I did look at a Kawasaki sport bike today, but I wasn't very temped.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
3/8/16 4:51 p.m.

Sorry I missed this. I was out riding all afternoon.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
3/9/16 4:50 a.m.

I've been a biker pretty much all my life. Was one when my wife met me. She's never tried to make me be anything different.

When my son was born, I quit riding for several years. I wanted to be a dad to that little tyke.

Some years later, when he was becoming a young man and would remember me, I started riding again.

I don't disagree with the above comment about being fair to the family. There's a heck of a big life insurance policy on me. Pretty much has always been there, as being husband and father carries some responsibility to me. So, in the event I get killed in some way (I'm good at finding dangers other that motorcycling), my family won't find themselves out on the street.

A bike isn't the only way to scratch the itch by the way. A convertible sports car can go a long way towards scratching it. No, it's not the same. But it ain't bad either! Got even more money to burn? Go take a Polaris Slingshot out for a test ride/drive.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
3/9/16 6:49 a.m.

I've been riding for 40 years or so without even a near miss. (knocks on wood) I like to think it's because I focus on the task. If you ride nervous, you're apprehensive or have other things on your mind; you won't do it to the best of your abilities. I guess this applies to any task, but for most people, riding is about the most dangerous thing within reach.

I won't advise you to buy a Duc, (love them) but I won't try to talk you out of it.

Dan

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
3/9/16 7:19 a.m.

Motorcycling can be dangerous. Everyone's mom told them that. But...
- learn to RIDE a motorcycle, not just operate one
- don't ride impaired by drugs/alcohol
- don't ride fast at night
- don't ride when exhausted or preoccupied
- don't ride faster than your site line

That covers about 95% of your risk to yourself. The rest is experience reading and predicting what others are about to do. You can acquire those skills on a bicycle or in your car if you pay attention.

I won't ever tell you it's completely safe - but understanding and managing the risk can put a lot of room between you and the grim reaper. Remember - most people die in their sleep. So, using that as a guide you should never ever go to bed either

nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
3/9/16 7:28 a.m.

I'm in the same boat. I love bikes and have lusted for an R6 since around the time I first met my wife, but... as long as I'm married it will never happen because of what's happened to friends and family. My sister-in-law wrecked her bike on the interstate and had to be airlifted to the hospital and was in a coma for days. A good friend of my parents was hit while riding his Harley; he had to have countless surgeries, couldn't work for over a year, and ended up divorced.

Tuna - what about a dirt bike? Are there places to ride in your area? That might be a way to scratch the itch without the risk of being hit by another vehicle.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
3/9/16 7:31 a.m.

Could always start small, with a Peg Perego version.

Don't be selfish. Get one for her as well.

toad9977
toad9977 Reader
3/9/16 8:11 a.m.

I think Huckleberry nailed it on the head. It will never be 100% safe, but there are a lot of ways to make it safer (Rider training courses, riding gear, having a decent head on you shoulder).

And Monsters are amazing, but I may be biased

IMG_2057[1]

octavious
octavious HalfDork
3/9/16 5:58 p.m.

Foxtrapper- still have those?

Rodan
Rodan New Reader
3/9/16 11:49 p.m.
Huckleberry wrote: Motorcycling can be dangerous. Everyone's mom told them that. But... - learn to RIDE a motorcycle, not just operate one - don't ride impaired by drugs/alcohol - don't ride fast at night - don't ride when exhausted or preoccupied - don't ride faster than your site line That covers about 95% of your risk to yourself. The rest is experience reading and predicting what others are about to do. You can acquire those skills on a bicycle or in your car if you pay attention. I won't ever tell you it's completely safe - but understanding and managing the risk can put a lot of room between you and the grim reaper. Remember - most people die in their sleep. So, using that as a guide you should never ever go to bed either

Great advice. I've been riding for 30+ years, and like anything else, you mitigate the risk as best you can... Develop your skills, wear good gear, have good insurance. You're most likely to make mistakes when you start to get comfortable, but aren't really 'experienced' yet... 6mos to 2 years depending on variables.

I went down twice on the street in my first two years, once my fault (learned about target fixation), and once due to a left turning driver who violated my right of way (and ran a stop sign)... the 90 percentile motorcycle crash, when other vehicles are involved.

I've been down about 5 times on the racetrack, walked away without a scratch... controlled conditions and good gear.

Worst I ever hurt myself was falling off a dirt bike at 10mph... broke my collarbone... 1700 miles from home!

Riding has been a part of my life as long as I can remember, and I'm not planning on changing that any time soon. I've been coast to coast and border to border on 2 wheels, and have a host of fantastic memories, not to mention the fun I had on track.

Whether riding is for you or not, you have to decide.

For me, if I die doing something I love... well to quote Jimmy Buffett, "I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead."

Nick (LUCAS) Comstock
Nick (LUCAS) Comstock UltimaDork
3/9/16 11:51 p.m.
Huckleberry wrote: Motorcycling can be dangerous. Everyone's mom told them that. But... - learn to RIDE a motorcycle, not just operate one - don't ride impaired by drugs/alcohol - don't ride fast at night - don't ride when exhausted or preoccupied - don't ride faster than your site line That covers about 95% of your risk to yourself. The rest is experience reading and predicting what others are about to do. You can acquire those skills on a bicycle or in your car if you pay attention. I won't ever tell you it's completely safe - but understanding and managing the risk can put a lot of room between you and the grim reaper. Remember - most people die in their sleep. So, using that as a guide you should never ever go to bed either

I agree with this.

I can't recall a time where I have been surprised while on the bike. If you can't come to a safe complete stop in your field of vision you're going too fast. Other motorists are the wild card but I haven't yet had what I would consider a close call. Concentration and reading what other people are likely to do in certain situations and being prepared to react when they do the opposite are vital. I'm also very aware that what would be considered a minor fender bender in a car could very well be a life threatening situation for me and ride accordingly. I've been told I have a death wish since I got my first BMX bike though so my risk tolerance has always been a little higher than most. And I have a big life insurance policy just in case, and supplemental accidental health insurance in case they just maim me and don't actually kill me.

minimac
minimac SuperDork
3/10/16 7:36 a.m.

In fifty years of motorcycling, there has been quite a few close calls. Some have been other drivers and some have been animals. Once or twice it was a mechanical failure. The deal is none of them caught me unprepared, though. Don't overdrive your skillset and be constantly aware of those around you and the surroundings. Heck, cars(drivers) kill people everyday, but not many give up driving them. There's an element of risk in almost everything. When it's your time, it doesn't matter if your getting the mail,skydiving,driving your car or riding a scooter. No one is guaranteed a long healthy life. If you want to ride, do it-but do it correctly.

bastomatic
bastomatic UltraDork
3/10/16 8:14 a.m.

I gave up riding too when my daughter was born, and it was definitely the right choice. A road rager scare made the decision obvious a few months before she was born. And really more that that - it's pretty hard doing daycare pickup and drop off with a cycle.

I still get the itch when the weather warms up every year. I'd love a new Indian Scout personally.

dculberson
dculberson UberDork
3/10/16 9:06 a.m.

I always said I would stop riding once I had kids. My first was born 11/2014. I haven't ridden much and am thinking about stopping entirely but ... it's hard to let go. It feels like letting go of being cool.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
3/11/16 7:28 a.m.

Father of 4 kids myself. Get the bike and good gear, it's excellent stress relief.

octavious
octavious HalfDork
3/11/16 8:39 p.m.

Not to philosophize to much... But I have a wife and 2 kids. I commute (almost daily) on a Ducati Monster. I love it, it's awesome. It wakes me up in the morning and yet somehow allows me to unwind and forget work on the ride home. But...

Tonight my one kid said, "Dad, I don't want you to die, but when you do, I'll see you in heaven." Yes buddy you will.

I think part of it is being overly aware of everything and all things when you ride. Traffic, intersections, stupid drivers, textures, etc. And part of it is turning everything over to God and going "If you decide it's time, well then it's time."

But only you can decide if you are ok with that outcome.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
3/13/16 8:21 a.m.

Best solution (for our younger readers): Don't get married. Don't have kids.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MyxHrP8Rfos5FJrigfB7uqAoHLwieAkN4pX4cLdLekDmnVc72D7AiO5xxuwaLHk9