secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/15/20 9:37 a.m.

So,  I have an old EX500 that needs to move on.  It's been sitting and not started at all for at least 5 years.  Planning to drain the old gas, change the oil & filter, flush out coolant, and put in a new battery to see if I can get it running before I put it up for sale.  So my real question is, is it OK to use normal green automotive coolant in these (no DexCool obviously).

Also, any recommended online parts sellers?  I haven't had good experiences at the "local" Powersports crappy dealer, so I don't care to give them my business.

chaparral
chaparral Dork
8/15/20 12:11 p.m.

Most motorcycles take ordinary green ethylene glycol or propylene glycol. Since it's toxic I recommend using plain water to flush out the system and check it for leaks before draining and refilling with water/antifreeze.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
8/15/20 4:09 p.m.

Yes it is. Done it myself with a 2004 VTX 1300, no problems in 3 years. Most coolants are good for aluminum now since it is used in most vehicles.

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/15/20 6:48 p.m.

Thanks guys. Now I can place my bike specific parts order & use the normal coolant I already have. smiley

RichardNZ
RichardNZ New Reader
8/16/20 3:33 a.m.

As above, the green stuff will most likely work alright BUT check there is no magnesium content in the engine and if there is whether your particular brand of coolant is compatible.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vvYuQESg3CMI8iR61fJcaoccBsEDA2c7cQQ3GSoTksE9I5PhrEd1lNpgm8JjCyqJ