bmw88rider (Forum Supporter)
bmw88rider (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/24/20 10:46 a.m.

Quick intro. I use to ride on the road all of the time for about 8 years. Moving to Chicago and other life events got in the way and I haven't ridden in about a decade and a half. In exploring out and about in the 4X4, There are a ton of places to dirtbike in the front range. So, I'm looking at a way to get back in without getting over my head in both skill level and cost. I'm planning to do some classes and training to build up some skills. 

Love to have some recommendations from the Hive on a good place to start. I've done some riding out in Nevada back in the day (About 20 years ago). Had a Honda 500 dual sport back then. Most of the riding here will be at 8K+ ft in altitude. I'm 6'1 about 215 and in my mid 40s but kept in decent shape. I would want a little bigger bike to fit my longer legs. 

Love to hear some recommendations. Looking at craigslist, It's just alphabet soup to me anymore. Also, if there is any gear that is recommended on the cheaper side but good quality, I'd love to hear that too. 

maj75 (Forum Supporter)
maj75 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
8/26/20 12:08 p.m.

What's your budget?

I'm at 8000' and getting a carbed bike to run at that altitude is a PITA.  I'm fighting with a '77 IT400 at the moment.  That altitude calls for some extreme jetting changes and then you can't ride it at lower altitudes without leaning it out terribly.

If you have the budget, I'd say go with a fuel-injected 4stroke offering from Yamaha or KTM.  You are tall enough to manage the seat height, which is high.  The fuel-injection will allow you to ride anywhere.  The 250-450cc range bikes are physical the same size.  How much power do you need?  

Stay away from the big porky dual sports unless you want to give yourself a hernia trying to pick the bike up after you inevitably dump it.  I'd also look for electric start, cause you can crank it up if you stall it and maintain momentum, instead of stopping to kick start.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
8/26/20 2:52 p.m.

In reply to maj75 (Forum Supporter) :

Totally agree on electric start, fuel injection, and 4 stroke. Honda, Yamaha, or Kawi are my votes.

BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter)
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/26/20 3:29 p.m.

Agreed - easy button is probably a fuel injected Yamaha WR250.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
8/26/20 4:32 p.m.
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) said:

Agreed - easy button is probably a fuel injected Yamaha WR250.

Ooo! Yes! That! 

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/26/20 4:34 p.m.

This thread is pertinent to my interests...

How does that WR250 compare to a Honda CRF230, which is another recommendation I've heard?

EDIT: And there are different versions that start with "WR250"? Quick CL search looks like the WR250R is a dual-sport, while the WR250F isn't?

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
8/26/20 4:41 p.m.

Is the DRZ-400 a wrong answer here?  I'm not into dirt bikes but I do take glances at these things now and then.

8/26/20 4:42 p.m.

From Yamaha's website it looks like the "R" is the road legal model whereas the "F" isn't.

8/26/20 4:44 p.m.

In reply to pres589 (djronnebaum) :

IIRC they're heavier than the 250s - you probably want as lightweight a bike as possible when you have to pick it up for the umpteenth time after having a "moment" between the trail and your skills.

Not that I would know anything about that.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
8/26/20 5:56 p.m.
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to pres589 (djronnebaum) :

IIRC they're heavier than the 250s - you probably want as lightweight a bike as possible when you have to pick it up for the umpteenth time after having a "moment" between the trail and your skills.

Not that I would know anything about that.

Also AFAIK they are carbed.

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/27/20 7:26 p.m.

In reply to clutchsmoke :

According to the Yamaha site, the current WR250F is injected, but I can't find much about what year that happened.

bmw88rider (Forum Supporter)
bmw88rider (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/29/20 10:36 a.m.

I am leaning towards FI because I'll be riding from 4500' in pueblo to 8000'+ on rampart range and other spots. I was thinking about the maintenance of a carb and it seemed like I would almost have to re-jet it all of the time. 

I was reading up last night and the WR series looks good because of the tried and true part of it. Being almost the same since 2001 is a plus to me as I'm not going to be extracting 10 tenths out of it. 

As for power, I'm going to say not a ton. I want to ease into it. Good thing is bikes here have good resale. So if in a couple years I want to upgrade I'll get a good return on my trade. I'd probably start in the 250-350cc range. 

I do like the idea of a dual-sport that I can hang plates on. Emissions is not an issue in El Paso County.  I like just getting on and riding. It makes it a little easier for me to just hop on and go. 

Great suggestions. I think I'll hit the honda and yamaha dealer today just to browse. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qrROl57tIaUdPfSPqrUa6l0TJ0gVmO3OBhVaFcmQ0EOfuegiB8zOSwPXiwlXbVxE