AutoXR
AutoXR Reader
12/2/11 6:33 p.m.

about 6 mos ago I bought my first bike - a GS450. I posted a thread up here... bike had 14,000 miles on it and I have since put 2000 on it>> I even lugged it from Canada to the $2011 Challenge to ride around in sunny Flordia..

I have done small mods to it, mostly removing stuff. I love cafe's (trendy I know) but never liked the way a rounded tail flowed with the very square tank. Well I think I have a solution to my issues - just need some insight Basically using the stock tail and moving it fwd. The biek is far too nice to paint the tank or tail - I have ever receipt and it's only had 2 owners since new -

lmk what you think - need to use your imagination with the actual seat - basically shortened it up

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver Dork
12/2/11 6:50 p.m.

That's shore purty. 8)

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
12/3/11 2:37 a.m.

Lack of a seat pad is gonna hurt your nadz.

minimac
minimac SuperDork
12/3/11 6:03 a.m.

Chrome front fender needs to be replaced with one painted to match the bike, but looking good!

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
12/3/11 6:38 a.m.

Sargent Cycle redid the seat on my son's GS 450, nice job.

Dan

AutoXR
AutoXR Reader
12/3/11 7:57 a.m.

I have a friend who is gonna trade some parts for powdercoat work. Gonna get a shorty front fender - PC the wheels black and other bits as well. Also going to shorten the stock exhaust - will look stock - only shorter (same trumpets)

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
12/3/11 8:12 a.m.

Those pipes look pretty minty...I'd hesitate before cutting them up. One of the hardest things to find when restoring an old Suzuki is a decent exhaust. Find some beat up pipes and modify them instead.

edit: also, remember that modifying the exhaust will likely mess up the carburetor jetting, bikes of that era were pretty sensitive to that sort of thing.

AutoXR
AutoXR Reader
12/3/11 9:25 a.m.

I took the silencers out and noticed a dead spot between 4500 and 6. I am going to take it to a local guru in the spring and have it re-jetted and change the sprocket. All my riding is city and rarely above 50mph so Id like it to pull harder.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
12/3/11 7:23 p.m.

I noticed a flat spot on Ian's bike when I liberated the pipes. Put the silencers back in but open them up a bit with a Dremmel or drill, it's cheaper than hiring a tuner.

Dan

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CRCs7HusihRpZ62vMblWxAdbalnwPwYakYTju9wo5HXgQMmF6Oc9RzQjamr8EleU