1 2 3
CrackMonkey
CrackMonkey Reader
2/12/09 10:26 a.m.
96DXCivic wrote: So I was thinking of getting a jacket, helmet and gloves to begin with? How does that sound?

Add boots. At least some cheap hiking boots, or lace-up work boots. Something that will provide at least minimal abrasion and twist/crush protection.

The nastiest injuries I've seen have mostly been ankle and foot related. Sure, head injuries occur, but if you crack open your head, you're probably screwed regardless. But, browsing forums, there are a good number of crushed ankles that were the only major injury (bike falls on it, car runs into it, etc).

A good helmet can save your life. The other stuff can keep you out of the hospital.

96DXCivic
96DXCivic Reader
2/12/09 11:07 a.m.

Ok so one more question. How are late '70s early '80s BMWs? I have seen a few for cheap.

CrackMonkey
CrackMonkey Reader
2/12/09 11:34 a.m.

The BMWs are good bikes. But, repairs tend to be a bit pricier than the Japanese bikes. Also, replacing the clutch on one of the drive-shaft boxer engines is a total PITA.

I'd put them in the same category as the older Brit bikes. Fun as toys, but maybe not so practical as daily transportation.

Gearhead_42
Gearhead_42 Dork
2/12/09 1:02 p.m.

FWIW I "boot it" in Bates Enforcer tactical boots... light, easy on/off with the zip side, full ankle protection and mucho comfy on rides...

Mental
Mental SuperDork
2/12/09 2:17 p.m.

I actually wear jeans a lot for buzzing around town, but gear up pretty serious for the Canyon carving rides. A good jacket, work boots and good gloves will be good for communitng

CrackMonkey wrote: The BMWs are good bikes. But, repairs tend to be a bit pricier than the Japanese bikes. Also, replacing the clutch on one of the drive-shaft boxer engines is a total PITA. I'd put them in the same category as the older Brit bikes. Fun as toys, but maybe not so practical as daily transportation.

Yes and no. I have 2 Bimmers. But one is a project and the other is in the middle of a clutch job, and he isn't kidding. Brutal. the whole rear frame has to come off. But when they run, they run forever, great aftermarket and internet support, air cooled and simple. Plus you get the bonus of being considered a conissuier (or elitist by both the Japanese and HD guys) The clutch is the only real problem I have had with my 99.

bigtoed
bigtoed New Reader
2/12/09 9:08 p.m.

If you wear glasses, a large view helmet is important. Also when you go down, (every rider I know has put his or her bike down) get up and keep going. Car drivers are for the most part in their own world, so you have to ride paraniod.

96DXCivic
96DXCivic Reader
2/12/09 11:00 p.m.
CrackMonkey wrote:
96DXCivic wrote: So I was thinking of getting a jacket, helmet and gloves to begin with? How does that sound?
Add boots. At least some cheap hiking boots, or lace-up work boots. Something that will provide at least minimal abrasion and twist/crush protection. The nastiest injuries I've seen have mostly been ankle and foot related. Sure, head injuries occur, but if you crack open your head, you're probably screwed regardless. But, browsing forums, there are a good number of crushed ankles that were the only major injury (bike falls on it, car runs into it, etc). A good helmet can save your life. The other stuff can keep you out of the hospital.

I was just talking about stuff I needed to get. I have some Dickies work boots which I assume will work.

benzbaron
benzbaron Reader
2/12/09 11:42 p.m.

I really like the bmw k100 but they seem too big and heavy, but would be great highway bikes The only issue would be working on the engine, it is a flat four. They are probably simple but I have no experience. The thing about the bmw and jap bikes is you can do 100k miles before you need a rebuild. I'm up for one in maybe 5k miles with about 30k on the engine for a buell, made by HD. I like the k100 a lot though and people are parting them on CL,

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FCknAe6F7DbR0vTHhyubnbLEJOS8oFVuyScU1NKSXykmpGqfryLscHd0dlFdmaJd