Dembe
Dembe
9/20/19 1:54 p.m.

Hello everyone,,

Took a tour of the Harley Davidson factory in York PA today. It was an insiders tour as part of a manufacturer's counsel. If you haven't been there recently, they undertook a multimillion dollar update and renovation of the facility since 2010.

It is now an incredibly modern and advanced production facility. I've been in a lot of factories worldwide, and this is truly in the top five. They use the latest in lean manufacturing and just in time production, process improvement and quality control, robots and automation, and modular production cells. It is impressive.

Even more impressive are the people. To a person, they care about quality and the Harley way. You can just see that they all care deeply about what they are making and they treat each bike like it was their own.

And the bikes. Oh man the bikes! The 2014 models are gorgeous. They make the Soft Tails, Touring, Trikes and CVO bikes. They all commingle on the same production line, each bike that passes is different from the last. And even though they use laser-guides robots for welding and some pin striping, there are still people hand-lining tanks, slikscreening and welding certain things. If it needs to be custom or specialized, a craftsman does it by hand. So cool.

With or without the Harley mystique, it is a great example of how good Made in America can be. I can't wait to ride, and I can't wait to buy my own Harley someday..

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
9/20/19 2:49 p.m.
Dembe said:

And the bikes. Oh man the bikes! The 2014 models are gorgeous.

2014?  I don't suppose they make canoes there as well...

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
9/20/19 4:30 p.m.

Greetings, thinly veiled Harley Davidson marketing wanketeer!

The words you meant to use were "Assembled in America using globally sourced components". 

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/20/19 9:10 p.m.

Lots of buzzwords and techno babble that don't really convey anything about the canoe UR paddlin' but are quite convincing that you are a paddler...the 5 year delay between your visit and your post are even more convincing of your human powered watercraft abilities...

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
9/21/19 6:55 a.m.

Marketing troll aside, I live not far from the factory. It is worth a tour if you are in the area but unless it's changed you need to go during the week to see things in operation.

H-D is an iconic brand but hopefully will adapt to changing times. They've got nothing in the current product lineup that appeals to me...or a lot of other folks.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
9/21/19 7:31 a.m.

apologies.  Canoe status has been confirmed (even without posting links surprise; which I expect were going to be added later), and the user deactivated.

I think I'm going to leave the post, for reasons, for now.  but I have no issues with another mod yanking

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RoiUc7s0x0urNXLfeOoANRIebQoGHevD0cjZbem9EzWqlbyJ2lPwdP6DW4PIqupQ