1 2
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/4/20 10:47 a.m.

This was my first bike, a 1980 CX500.  It was dead-nuts reliable, took me everywhere, and was fun to ride.  With 49HP and 30ft/lb, it was no crotch-rocket, but plenty for my relaxed riding style.  I rode the Honda for 10 years and imagine that it is still commuting someone somewhere to this day.

This is my current ride, a 2009 V-Star 950. This was bought because I was doing a lot of 2-up touring on the CX500 and wanted something better suited to the task. I have enjoyed every minute on this thing over the past 10 years, but am ready for a change. I almost never ride 2-up anymore, and long trips are few and far between. I am now riding with friends on Sunday mornings on back roads, or taking the bike in good weather to enjoy the ride. This thing leans about 3-degrees before scraping, so its not going to win any handling awards, and with 52hp and 58 ft/lb on a nearly 650lb bike, its quick but not fast. Its time for something sportier, and I am enamored with this: 

The comstar-like wheels and the mid-peg position take me back to my beloved CX500, I love the retro style, and the seating position is sporty without being hunched-over. It has 88.5 HP and 68.5 ft/lbs which is not much for an 1100cc four, but will be the most I have ever had between my legs, I am sure it will be fine. It has ABS, handles well (though it is no sport-bike) and there are some options available for it. At $5 - $6K, it is my top choice, though I have yet to ride one. I have ridden a bunch of sport bikes (not for me) adventure bikes (cool, but not for me) and sport-touring bikes (great, but not for me) I like a standard that leans towards sporty, so what other options should I look at?

The classic Bonnie or street twin is an option, but they carry a price premium compared to the Honda. I also know Honda reliability, not sure about British bikes.

The Kawi W800 would be a great alternative, but not in my price range yet me thinks.

Love the Guzzi V7, can I get it under $6K?

Buy a new Royal Enfield?

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/4/20 10:52 a.m.

I always like the look of the Triumphs, but can't speak of how reliable they are

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
11/4/20 11:18 a.m.

I saw this video review a while back, and dug it up because it seems relevant to your interests: 

I know Guzzis well, and they have loads of personality. You can get one for under $6k on the used market easily. It's hard to go wrong with any of the bikes you're considering though. 

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
11/4/20 11:41 a.m.

I love my Guzzis.

I don't own a V7 but the guys I've talked to who have them all have lots of good things to say. Good on fuel too.

Don't buy the V9, they're silly and ugly.

Why they chose to develop the V9 engine and NOT put it in a new LeMans chassis is beyond me. Instead we got a pair of silly hipster motorcycles.

Run_Away [FS]
Run_Away [FS] GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/4/20 12:53 p.m.

Following with interest, because I'm interested in the exact same bikes this upcoming spring.

CB1100 is also top of my list, although I want  2017 for the spoked wheels and seamless tank.

T120 are probably second for me, love the looks and the aftermarket but slightly concerned about long term reliability.

I'm looking at V9 Guzzis over V7s just because I'm 6'2". Worst specs but the choice with the most emotion, which is sort of what motorcycling is about. Wish they would put the V85 engine in them.

W800 is a "meh" option for me. Nothing wrong with it, just isn't exciting to me.

Royal Enfields I would totally consider, but there's zero dealers anywhere near me so that 3 year warranty isn't worth much.

the_machina
the_machina Reader
11/4/20 2:06 p.m.

Have you looked at the XSR700 / XSR900 for a slightly sportier option on a modern/retro standard?

Shadeux (Forum Supporter)
Shadeux (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/4/20 2:20 p.m.

If I was in the market for a new bike I would look hard at this: W800 Cafe. On Cycle Trader there are several for around $5500 new. 

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
11/4/20 2:21 p.m.
Run_Away [FS] said:

Guzzis... Worst specs but the choice with the most emotion, which is sort of what motorcycling is about. Wish they would put the V85 engine in them.

This is it for me. The comparison game is dumb when we're talking about what is really a toy. I use my motorcycles as honest transportation year round, and lose zero sleep knowing that there's a faster/cheaper/more economical/whatever out there. Find what interests you! I love Guzzi because they're uncommon, unique in their approach, reliable, and all around well engineered and executed. 

The XSR that machina suggests is worth a look too. Neat looking bikes. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
11/4/20 2:43 p.m.

New 2018 Indian Scout® Bobber Jack Daniel's® Motorcycles in Ferndale, WA |  Stock Number:

Has ABS and you can get them used a decent discount from new. Everyone I know who has one and uses it as a weekend rider loves it. They are even swaying me to that side. 

wawazat
wawazat Dork
11/4/20 3:02 p.m.

I spent a lot of time thinking about many of these same bikes and was ready to buy a Bonneville T120 or the CB EX1100 but stumbled across the Ducati GT1000, a bike built between 2006 and 2010 and bought one.   Similar HP/TQ as the CB and T120 and it's been a great riding season for me this year.   

Now that I'm done talking about me, back to you!laugh  The water cooled Bonnies 2016 to current have been very reliable per my research.  The Honda was the same.   While I loved the look of the Kawasaki W800 and have a soft spot in my head for the brand, power and TQ were down and I read the suspension was really soft for the ahem, husky fellas, aka my peeps.   Another bike that you might want to consider is the Kawasaki Z900 and Z900 RS.   Same kinda 70's UJM flat seat vibe but modern chassis and power plant.  

I watched a lot of Youtube vids of comparo's of these bikes.  Many were done by the Motorcycle.com group and they had some good insight.   Happy hunting! 

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
11/4/20 3:05 p.m.

In reply to wearymicrobe :

Be warned, do a long test ride.

Those would be completely unridable for me. My back hates forward controls but rearsets are great.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/4/20 3:09 p.m.

I was underwhelmed by the CB1100. I really really wanted to like it. But it rode just like my 1993 CB750 and that wasn't really a good thing considering the technology changes since then. I really really loved the FZ9 but going with the retro style what about the XSR? https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/sport-heritage/models/xsr700 the 700 is the twin, the 900 is the triple. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
11/4/20 3:42 p.m.

I'd go ride the Guzzi. They have a special something about them. Really it comes down to feel though. You need to want to sit on it. 

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
11/4/20 7:33 p.m.

SV650 is worth considering given the bikes you've mentioned.  Nothing you've mentioned gives me a strong no reaction (save for maybe the W800 due to price / performance relationship).  MT-07 is right in there as well although it is decidely not retro looking.  Seems like a neat little scoot.  Z900rs might be found used for your budget but only just.  I really like mine although I miss having more wind protection.  May go looking for a 2000 or so VFR again if/when life allows.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/4/20 8:36 p.m.

In reply to Run_Away [FS] :

Waaaaaait...spokes? That's the one thing that turned me off of the first year(s): the cast wheels.

Run_Away [FS]
Run_Away [FS] GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/4/20 10:23 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed:

03Panther
03Panther Dork
11/4/20 11:29 p.m.

In reply to Run_Away [FS] :

I really love the retro looks of that. That was the UJM of my formulative years.By the time I started ridin', the crotch rockets were just started to come out, and that look just doesnt do a thing for me.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
11/5/20 6:28 a.m.

You are considering many of the same bikes I did at one point. I wound up buying the Bonneville something like six years ago. Still have it. I did a video about it.

https://youtu.be/87PbEBEdP60

The air cooled Triumph twins are pretty much bulletproof. Aside from the crap rear shocks nobody really complains about them. They still have enough mild vibration to let you know you are riding a twin but it's never tiresome. The newer water cooled models are Honda smooth, and I personally find it off-putting. It makes them sort of vanilla though they are a better, more advanced machine in all areas. If you loathe spoked wheels you want the 'SE' model which has mags.

Guzzis have great character and I've enjoyed the ones I've ridden. Easy to service and mostly reliable (there were some fuel pump issues; most have probably been fixed by now) the total lack of dealer support where I am is a turn-off. I generally don't give a crap about having a dealership nearby but the Guzzi is just that little bit extra of odd Italian quirkiness I'd kind of want some 'backup' around.

The Kawasaki is the best cosmetic copy of an old Triumph or BSA but, well, it's a Japanese bike. It's performance and riding feel are not as engaging as a proper European machine IMO. The W650 would be within your price range but they have become a bit of a cult bike and command prices that seem too high for what it is. For the same or less you can get an actual Triumph.

The Honda CB is a four cylinder. With that comes weight. What it doesn't come with is nimbleness. They are pretty, but don't score well in any comparison test I've watched. Just picking one up off the side stand was enough to cross them off my list. I'd much rather have the very flickable Kawasaki Z900RS if I were looking at something like this.

The Royal Enfield twins are a home run. The quality is nothing like the old Bullet (of which I own one). Complaints have been few and RE has shown itself to be very supportive to customers. My closest dealer is about an hour away but that would not deter my ownership. If I were to replace my T100 it would be a really tough decision to choose between another Triumph and a RE. The bike really is that good...and then there's the price.

Rodan
Rodan Dork
11/5/20 9:28 p.m.

Are retro looks a must?

I 've been riding a Yamaha FJ-09 for almost five years, and in 35+ years of riding is the most capable, best all-rounder I've ever owned.  And I've owned a LOT of bikes.

The Yamaha 900 triple is a fantastic motor, and the chassis is solid, though the stock suspension is pretty basic.  The FJ version is under 500lbs with hard bags, and can be had in your price range.  It does everything from canyon scratching to commuting to touring.  If you want retro styling, the XSR is basically the same bike dressed up in retro clothes.

XSR:

IMHO, most retro bikes look cool, but have performance (and handling) that's 10-15 years behind state of the art.  I rode a Guzzi V7 Racer a couple of years ago.  Beautiful bike, but absolutely awful to ride.  No low end torque, and nothing up top, either.  Mediocre brakes, and the ergonomics of the shifter were awful.  It was like it had been transported straight from the 1980s.

The only 'retro' bike I'd be looking at right now is a Thruxton R, but they're still bringing higher prices, and my FJ9 still does almost everything better.  As much I'd like to have two bikes, it just doesn't make sense for me.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
11/5/20 10:06 p.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

" The Honda CB is a four cylinder. With that comes weight. What it doesn't come with is nimbleness."  Honda has sold a number of "nimble" inline-four powered bikes.  You kind of countered this with the example of the Z900rs which you described as "flickable" and I would agree with that statement on the Z. 

If the current CB1100 isn't so nimble, I think it would be due to the overall height and wheelbase length of the thing and not the engine arrangement.  I'm honestly not a huge fan of the inline-four arrangement on a motorcycle but for very different reasons than making a bike flickable or not.

The only reason I'm writing up this rebuttal of sorts is to try and not get the OP too crossed up on the wrong things.  If a Honda 599 Hornet fell into his lap I would think that would be a great bike to consider (if the age didn't scare him off).

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
11/6/20 6:15 a.m.

Well, I'm okay with the rebuttal. smiley The extra cylinders do add weight but arguably are not the sole reason for it.

Having owned singles, twins and triples but never a quad-banger I've developed the opinion that the added weight and complexity of a four cylinder is wholly unnecessary. And let's not forget the heat. I find twins are pretty adequate unless you are some kind of corner-carving or drag racing fiend who posts a lot of videos on Moto Madness. Triples? I think they are the sweet spot.

The Yamaha FJ is an admirable suggestion if the OP isn't married to the retro look. In that case I'd suggest the Triumph Tiger 800 as well. Any time I think of selling mine I ride it and those thoughts disappear.

eastpark
eastpark HalfDork
11/6/20 7:57 a.m.
ddavidv said:

The Royal Enfield twins are a home run. The quality is nothing like the old Bullet (of which I own one). Complaints have been few and RE has shown itself to be very supportive to customers. My closest dealer is about an hour away but that would not deter my ownership. If I were to replace my T100 it would be a really tough decision to choose between another Triumph and a RE. The bike really is that good...and then there's the price.

Damn you David! laugh Now you've got me looking at RE local dealer inventory. 

No Time
No Time Dork
11/6/20 8:32 a.m.

I have found these to be visually appealing (except the exhaust and rear plate holder), and when I sat on one at the dealership the riding position was upright and comfortable. 

Other than that I have nothing to add. 

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin SuperDork
11/24/20 2:14 p.m.

Good read!  I've been tempted by a leftover W800 cafe that the local shop has priced at six grand, and it seems like it's a great bike for a newbie with room to grow into.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
11/24/20 3:16 p.m.

I have a W650, the predecessor to the W800.  It's a great bike, comfortable and easy to ride.  The big problem with it is the carburetors, which gum up seemingly overnight on today's gasoline.  The W800 has fuel injection which should take care of that issue.

However,  if I were looking for a new bike now I'd think really hard about the Royal Enfield.  It checks all the boxes for me and is significantly less expensive.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
USWKc6gYeCzK68P1tlhKgUReuPw8D1BkLGXBkqt0gfEKgDpjTEu8ZBlXVULYnNzO