kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
1/3/19 10:06 a.m.

So I picked up an '83 cbx550f on the weekend for my wife,only 2 registered owners.They were brothers in fact.

Appears the 2nd brother had a small crash at some point in around '86 and the bike never returned to the road.

Only 3200kms and still wears the original rubber.

Someone over the last 30+ years removed the fuel sender and the fuel petcock from the tank.

These are NLA from honda,hoping someone on here has parts or even just a suggestion on who might.

I have other feelers out and joined some old bike groups on facebook as well.

Thanks.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/3/19 10:17 a.m.

I know old Honda motorcycles fairly well and I had to look that bike up. I thought it was a typo. That's a seriously obscure/weird bike. Are you in Canada? Were they ever sold in the US? I don't think that finding parts for that one is going to be easy.

Woody
1/3/19 10:21 a.m.
pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/3/19 10:26 a.m.

It was Honda's first Integra.

I would think that Honda didn't have too many fuel petcocks and senders at that time,  perhaps something from a CX500 Turbo or CBX?  If they are the same as on a CX500 or CX650 they will be easy to source, same for a CB750. Good luck, its a cool bike! 

pontiacstogo
pontiacstogo New Reader
1/3/19 10:46 a.m.

Maybe David Silver Spares in the UK?  If not you could try Yahoo Auctions in Japan.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
1/3/19 11:30 a.m.

Yes I'm a canuck,in Ontario actually.

The guy I got this from has an identical bike,I rode with another guy in the mid 80's with one......he still has it in fact.

Neither have spare the spare bits I need.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
1/3/19 12:28 p.m.

The fuel petcock on this was a vacuum type while the earlier CB models used a non vacuum type.

I haven't had any luck trying to cross reference other honda models that might share the same bits.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/3/19 12:33 p.m.

These were sold in Europe - as pontiacstogo mentioned, David Silver Spares might have parts. Another source to check is cmsnl - they likely have parts diagrams online, but I didn't check if they had one for this model.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
1/3/19 12:44 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

Cmsnl?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/3/19 12:50 p.m.

In reply to kevlarcorolla :

cmsnl.com - they're in the Netherlands and have a pretty big selection of old UJM parts. They're kind of a competitor to David Silver IIRC.

Cooter
Cooter Dork
1/3/19 1:31 p.m.

Honda really knocked it out of the park with that fairing design, IMO.   They also used it on the big CBX and as a Hondaline option for the Sabre, as seen on my V65.

As for the petcock, I would just match up the spacing and use a manual version that isn't vacuum operated.  They are much more reliable.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
1/3/19 1:48 p.m.

In reply to Cooter :

The petcock on this is a screw on,will check thread size/pitch,ebay has loads of them for cheap.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
1/3/19 4:11 p.m.

I found the parts........at the bottom of a box of parts that came with it that I'd looked through allready.

Sucks to get old and blind apparantly.

Didn't realize Americans didn't get these,you missed out they are great little bikes.;)

Cooter
Cooter Dork
1/3/19 8:47 p.m.

Glad that you found the parts.

We didn't get a lot of cool bikes that you did, unfortunately. 

maj75
maj75 HalfDork
1/5/19 7:57 a.m.

Seriously weird front brakes.  Who tries to make disc brakes look like drum brakes?  C’mon Honda...

Cooter
Cooter Dork
1/5/19 8:08 a.m.

In reply to maj75 :

The "Inboard Ventilated Disc" setup was supposed to be for better wet weather performance.

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
1/5/19 7:45 p.m.
Cooter said:

Glad that you found the parts.

We didn't get a lot of cool bikes that you did, unfortunately. 

Yeah - especially the 2 strokes like the Suzuki RG500 Gamma and the Yamaha RZ350.

I just love the ring-ding-ding.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
1/9/20 3:19 p.m.

Bike is slowly going back together,stripped to the bare frame so it could be painted.

Engine also painted,wife is refinishing the aluminum covers back to a brushed look.

Trying to find the paint codes now so the bodywork can be repainted oem.

Place in the UK has reproduction decals so ordering those shortly.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
3/13/20 6:34 p.m.

Getting closer,bodywork all redone with custom mixed rattle cans,new decals and 2k clear rattle cans.

Woody
3/13/20 6:42 p.m.

Lookin' good!

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
3/18/20 8:15 a.m.

In reply to Woody :

Thanks,hard to imagine the amount of work something so small is.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
blUao53jhk0WRkI10cYBcexL8KpIIasCfnZ5mrdpZmTGlRnoyNElu1WPEaRrvPfY