1 2 3
singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
5/7/15 10:55 a.m.

I am looking at one of these and wanted to see what you guys knew. Looks like a really cheap commuter bike.

I know it is strange looking and has car like power delivery. Seems to be the only negatives anyone has to say on them. Like an old NC700.

Here she is, 24K miles.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UberDork
5/7/15 11:11 a.m.

You'll have to put up with it being called "the flying potato".

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
5/7/15 11:36 a.m.

I already daily a 2000 honda insight in highlighter green (see avatar), this would actually be an improvement to my image.

pres589
pres589 UberDork
5/7/15 11:45 a.m.

There's a dude on advrider that put some insane miles on one of these with basically no maitenance. They're dorky bikes but they seem very useful.

octavious
octavious HalfDork
5/7/15 12:10 p.m.

My understanding is these are just smaller Goldwings, and we're built to be used as such.

Storage looks good. Is there some under the seat? As a motorbike commuter I can say storage has been a huge issue. I have a top case and a backpack. I've actually found that works well for me. What sucks is when I have that one more thing I need to take home from work, and the top case and backpack are already full.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UltraDork
5/7/15 12:10 p.m.

It's a base model Accord on two wheels. Treat it accordingly.

Punn intended.

pres589
pres589 UberDork
5/7/15 12:24 p.m.

I remember the advrider bike now; CACK: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=467019

These bikes have a V4 engine that isn't really related to the VFR unit. Shaft drive. Should be an awesome commuter. And agreed with octavious about using a top case to make a motorcycle actually work for commuting. I don't know why more folks don't equip similarly.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/7/15 12:40 p.m.

You can fit a lot of junk in the trunk! If you don't take care of it, beat it mercilessly and ignore maintenance, a PC800 will only run for 1,000,000 miles. With proper care, it will run to 10,000,000. Check the years, they were out for a few, retired, then re-appeared. The later series have some upgrades and command a higher premium, but both are solid commuters and cruisers.

SEADave
SEADave HalfDork
5/7/15 12:42 p.m.

Interesting bikes, sort of a urban/daily-driver Goldwing. My buddy has one. The "trunk" opens up just like a car's trunk, rather than one saddlebag at a time, and it holds a ton of stuff.

The engine is actually a liquid-cooled 3-valve/cylinder V-twin more related to the Shadow line. Super reliable, not the nimblest thing but can definitely keep up with other modern touring bikes in the twisties with a good rider, although on the straights it would lose out to bigger, more modern stuff like FJR's.

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
5/7/15 12:43 p.m.

There isn't any under seat storage as that is where the gas tank is. The "gas tank" is just a cover for the engine. The storage on it is nuts, two full size helmets or 4 plastic grocery bags. The only thing it doesn't seem to be good at carrying is pizza. I can live with that.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
5/7/15 12:46 p.m.

I LOVE the Pacific Coast! One of the finest motorcycle concepts to ever come to fruition, in my opinion.

Huge storage, all in one convenient water-tight bin. Dead nuts reliable drive train.

Make sure you fit. I don't, and I grieve over this. Though it is what accidentally put me on a Harley, which isn't a bad thing after all.

Life isn't all roses though with the PC800. They're kinda old now. Lots of them have broken plastic, and there's a lot of plastic to break. As reliable as they were/are, lots of miles and neglect takes it toll. I'd suggest trying to find the best example you can.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
5/7/15 12:47 p.m.

phenomenally awesome bike. Handles great, comfortable, dead-nuts reliable, epic storage capacity even with out the top box........and looks like a fat-ass scooter. This is not a PC.

That drives the price down, which makes them more desirable. IMHO one of the best day to day bikes ever built.

pres589
pres589 UberDork
5/7/15 1:21 p.m.

In reply to SEADave:

Oh crud, I was thinking the PC800 was more like the ST11/1300. This thing is even weirder than I previously thought.

ValuePack
ValuePack SuperDork
5/7/15 7:09 p.m.
singleslammer wrote: I already daily a 2000 honda insight in highlighter green (see avatar), this would actually be an improvement to my image.

Bonus points if you paint the Coast to match.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UberDork
5/7/15 7:48 p.m.

One of our club members has one, he's been known to have beer on ice in his on some of our camping trips.

It holds a lot of beer.

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
5/7/15 10:20 p.m.

In reply to ValuePack:

That might be worth considering.

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
5/7/15 10:21 p.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: One of our club members has one, he's been known to have beer on ice in his on some of our camping trips. It holds a lot of beer.

That pretty much sells it

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/7/15 10:47 p.m.

As long as image isn't a personal hangup these are the bee's knees...but that highlighter green might just make it a -999,999 instead of -1,000,000 image points.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UberDork
5/7/15 11:05 p.m.

I don't think they look all that bad but I own Honda CX's and Moto Guzzi's so what do I know?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/7/15 11:30 p.m.

The re-sale value on these things are insane.

tedium850
tedium850 New Reader
5/8/15 7:27 a.m.

I've ridden one before and thought it was a great ridding bike. Kind of hit the sweet spot of being not too small and not too big. It had enough adequate power, but definately not exciting. Handled good and was comfy. If I found one at the right price and needed a bike, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one, but I'm not that image consious either

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
5/8/15 7:44 a.m.
pres589 wrote: I remember the advrider bike now; CACK: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=467019 These bikes have a V4 engine that isn't really related to the VFR unit. Shaft drive. Should be an awesome commuter. And agreed with octavious about using a top case to make a motorcycle actually work for commuting. I don't know why more folks don't equip similarly.

I read many of the CACK stories. is it still alive or did it finally get deemed irreparable?

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
5/8/15 8:38 a.m.

I think that image is usually the last thing on my mind. If it is, I break out one of the other bikes which provide a different vibe. Beat up Husky dirt bike or beat up Honda Hawk GT. I am a cheap bastard.

Anyway, I haven't spilled the price beans yet. $1800 asking and the guy has owned it since 1990. I think it seems like a deal. I imagine it will need new tires and he says it idles rough but I suspect that has more to do with sitting than most anything else. Running carb clean in the tank and driving 300 miles ought to help. Trying to look tonight. Need to figure out how to not get in trouble with SWMBO and still get it...

pres589
pres589 UberDork
5/8/15 8:41 a.m.

In reply to Grtechguy:

No idea. I was following the author and it seemed like he kind of fell off the map. Haven't really looked in a while though.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
5/8/15 9:27 a.m.

Buy it.

Rode two last summer and was very impressed. Comfortable bike that i would not taking trips on. The storage is insane as mentioned earlier. Wind protection is fantastic....really well done by Honda.

Lastly, it has mirrors that actually show you whats behind you not just your shoulders. I liked that

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
F48R6G6q5MJmvSQAxqHX8qGPhPyogmrjJALhAz33oXshqXYrvpH6mOfTIJXx6dYA