1 2 3
singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
5/8/15 9:59 a.m.

Going to look at it after work.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/8/15 11:20 a.m.

I found a website that has scans of the original service manual: PC800 Shop Manual

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
5/8/15 7:21 p.m.

It is sufficiently after work.

Pics of your new awesomeness please.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UberDork
5/8/15 7:39 p.m.

You must paint it the same antifreeze green as your insight and apply some hybrid decals to really confuse people.

Lots of folks are too young or unaware to know anything about a PC800.

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
5/8/15 7:55 p.m.

I had something come up. Planning to check it out Monday.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver UltraDork
5/9/15 7:16 a.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: You must paint it the same antifreeze green as your insight and apply some hybrid decals to really confuse people.

This. Absolutely this.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
5/9/15 12:21 p.m.

It's funny that you see it as a perfect commuter bike. I see it as a perfect get out of town, weekend kind of bike. The Iron handles my commuting duties well enough being that my commute is only ten miles or so but is literally a pain for the longer weekend rides that I occasionally do. These have crossed my mind on occasion to fill that role.

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
5/9/15 4:04 p.m.

My commute is over 40 miles one way. It is perfect to hold my lunch and laptop on the way to work, get 50 mpg, and has killer weather protection.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
5/9/15 5:50 p.m.

The Pacific Coast was my go to at the shop to take out on the weekend rides. I can't say enough positive things about them

Petrolburner
Petrolburner HalfDork
5/10/15 1:23 p.m.

I had no idea the trunk opened that way, or that it had a V-twin motor. Having everything super concealed behind interlocking plastic is a big turnoff for me. Changing spark plugs or air filter looks like a real bitch of a project. I love funky old Hondas though, so I say go for it so I can live vicariously for you.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/10/15 2:12 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRSCCO_mDu0

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/10/15 2:13 p.m.

That looks like a bargain. I'm hoping that you buy that bike. I'd like to read more about it, especially from someone who uses an Insight as a daily driver.

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
5/10/15 9:36 p.m.

In reply to Woody:

Thanks for that video. That was great.I think I really want it but the main issue is the wife. She won't be happy about it.

bastomatic
bastomatic SuperDork
5/11/15 5:48 a.m.

I rode one for a few years. Sold it when my daughter was born, as I found that toddlers are one of the few things it didn't carry well.

I had no real problems with mine. The mufflers chirp like they're full of angry crickets - fixes are available but it becomes endearing after a while.

I would get another in a heartbeat. The handling was good, it was vibration free on the freeway, and had enough little niceties without being complicated.

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
5/11/15 8:41 a.m.

In reply to bastomatic:

This is exactly what I am looking for. I love my NT650 Honda but it is a bit tight and buzzy on the highway. Doesn't make a good commuter bike.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner HalfDork
5/11/15 1:45 p.m.
Woody wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRSCCO_mDu0

That was a great video. I'm more interested in a PC800 than I ever was before. Still too much overlap with my Aprilia Caponord, but if one comes up for sale locally I'll go test drive it for 'research'

bastomatic
bastomatic SuperDork
5/11/15 8:34 p.m.

I remembered - if your bike has the disc covers in the front, try removing them. The bike felt more stable and wandered less on the freeway when I removed mine. I think the 97+ models had a more traditional front fender.

Oh, and as said before, you cannot care about your image at all if you ride one. It gets no respect at all from the general public, and most people really did think it was a scooter. Those who realized it was indeed a motorcycle rubbed the image thing in.

But every day riding a Pacific Coast is like knowing a secret, that happiness is right in front of you, yours to take if only you ignore what everyone else thinks you should do.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
5/11/15 8:40 p.m.

In reply to bastomatic:

So, exactly like my sportster then

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
5/11/15 10:34 p.m.

Well, I went and looked at it. The bike has scratches all over it but really only needs a new tail light and a polish. The main issue is that carbs are dirty and/or out of sync. It pops at idle and party throttle acceleration is rough. Full throttle works great though so the motor itself is healthy. The tires are "4" years old, which I don't believe. He told me he quit riding it when his kids were born and one is in high school. I am going to probably low ball him in a few days and let it sit. No one will likely buy it because it is rough for one of these. This gives me time to sell my gsxr and gather some cash.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
5/11/15 11:10 p.m.

Sounds like it's a bike that either you are going to get for cheap or the guy is going to be stubborn and not sell it because he thinks it's worth too much.

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
5/12/15 9:33 a.m.

Pretty much. The wife was less than impressed when I told her that I was looking at another bike. It remains to be seen if I can get it past her. I worked on cleaning up some of the projects I have laying around that I know bug her in an attempt to earn some brownie points.

akamcfly
akamcfly Dork
4/10/16 6:58 p.m.

Zombie thread is zombied

I just bought an 89 with the honda radio, "spoiler", service manual and a corbin seat. Mee mee meeeeee!

bastomatic
bastomatic UltraDork
4/10/16 7:38 p.m.

Lucky bastard. I want mine back bad every spring.

The 89 has issues with rear tire clearance if I remember right.

akamcfly
akamcfly Dork
4/11/16 5:13 a.m.
bastomatic wrote: Lucky bastard. I want mine back bad every spring. The 89 has issues with rear tire clearance if I remember right.

I've read that too. Seems the problem arises when people try different tire sizes than the stock, not very common size. I might look to see where the clearance problems are later on.

The plan for now is to give it a good bath and lookie-loo. Fluid changes and de-wiring of the previous owner's farkles if they look icky. Spark Plugs and other consumables will be changed to make it a known solid runner.

My only mod on the table is to LED all the lighting to free up some electrons. Then my grand plan is to ride it. A lot

singleslammer
singleslammer UberDork
4/11/16 9:50 a.m.

I still want a nice one but I can grab a 90's goldwing for similar money. You will have to give us your impressions after riding for a bit.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3JkuNkcRbAhxf2WKiZjkbv3Mo71GAXZVu9AilrO1g1ZWTcsrt1SqBbgiinKTxOIe