914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/22/20 7:34 a.m.

I had a GPz-1100 and really enjoyed it.  Sold it, then 6 years later my son bought it from the guy I sold it to.  Long wheelbase!   This one has an engine knock.

Thinking about buying a second bike just because.

So, a lower engine knock? That's pretty rare on UJMs. Have to split the cases, and replace bearings. 

If the crank needs machining, that's where the price escalates. Then a bore job? Not as cheap nor as easy to find a shop to do that as it used to be. It'll get out of hand quickly, methinks.

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit UltraDork
8/22/20 8:43 a.m.

I would call some machine shops and get a guesamnt, then I would shop for used engines and parts bikes with no titles. If the rebuild route is the way you want to go then you have all winter to have the work done and make payments. 

BTW I liked the color scheme. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/22/20 10:52 a.m.

They came in red with silver trim or silver with red & black trim.  Some of these have the 4-one barrel swap because the computer fails.  My local guy who drag races these says the only reason mine is alive is because I liberated the intake and exhaust; computer likes that.

If I have to go searching for a ZX-11 engine with no paper, I'll wait until I find the meter maid cart I've been looking for.

maj75 (Forum Supporter)
maj75 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
8/25/20 9:24 p.m.

I actually like the first GPz1100.  I won't ride on the street anymore so no point...

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
8/25/20 9:40 p.m.

I'd buy a donor bike. They made a ton of those.

maj75 (Forum Supporter)
maj75 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
8/29/20 10:04 p.m.

Check the automatic cam chain tensioner.  When they are out of adjustment, there can be a lot of noise from the engine that might sound like a knock.  Bottom end of these engines is very stout.  Unless it's been run without oil, I'd look for another source of the noise.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CWHJ0bJIpRTHdrUUcRWbWaUX151kIQIrnZeikZqA9AgqOrN76bxHPkBphZqlsVKV