ratghia
ratghia Reader
9/22/10 7:58 p.m.

I've always wanted to get a bike and since I’m turning 18 next week I figured it would be a nice birthday gift to myself. I like the look of sport bikes but since I've never ridden before I didn't want to buy something too big for me to handle. I ended up getting a 2005 Ninja 250. It needs front brakes and it isn't running but it cranks. Also at some point it appears to have been vandalized and has multi color spray on some parts. Most of the painted parts were replaced but kept as spares. It still has the paint under a new coat of black on the engine so I'll be stripping it all off. I also need to clean paint off the wiring harness loom and hand controls. It needs some work but it's nothing I can't do and for $400 I think I got a great deal. I also got an extra tank and a titled frame from a 1988.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Dork
9/22/10 8:02 p.m.

more details on how it is after you start riding it. kinda want one casue they are cheapp but dunno if they are too slow for my taste

minimac
minimac SuperDork
9/22/10 8:41 p.m.

Good score! After you get it the way you want, I might be interested in taking the titled frame off your hands. Don't forget to take the class(is it mandatory in Pa?)

ratghia
ratghia Reader
9/22/10 8:51 p.m.

I am going to try to get the bike together and ready to ride for the spring. I could get it together quick but I'd rather do it right over the winter and clean everything up. I am going to take the safety course but don’t think it is mandatory in Pa.

If you want the frame just shoot me a pm and we can work something out. I was planning on selling it to recoup some money anyway and I'd rather see it go to someone on here.

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
9/22/10 9:37 p.m.

Sell the plastic on Ebay for profit. Streetfighter, dood!

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Dork
9/22/10 10:51 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: Sell the plastic on Ebay for profit. Streetfighter, dood!

sweet! WIN!

problemaddict
problemaddict Reader
9/23/10 5:47 a.m.

or motarded

Luke
Luke SuperDork
9/23/10 5:55 a.m.

Nice! The street-fighter look is sick, but I quite like it in the black/red, too. It's a bit like the Bat-bike, (or maybe just what Robin would ride), but still cool!

teamdixonracing
teamdixonracing Dork
9/23/10 11:38 a.m.

My brother has one he's been riding for a couple years now. He swears by it. I've considered buying one a couple times but never gone through with it.

I do like the street fighter.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Dork
9/23/10 3:06 p.m.
teamdixonracing wrote: My brother has one he's been riding for a couple years now. He swears by it. I've considered buying one a couple times but never gone through with it.

But is it qucik enough or will it get boring?

pilotbraden
pilotbraden Reader
9/23/10 3:58 p.m.

When these were redesigned a couple of years ago Roadracing World and Motorcycle Technology reviewed it. The tester was riding with 4-5 others on them up the road to Mt Palomar. He wrote that it was one of the best street bikes he had ridden because you ride it like you are at the Isle of Mann, full out , and you are not running 140 mph as you would be on something faster.

Sonic
Sonic Dork
9/23/10 5:32 p.m.

In reply to ratghia: Although MSF course is not mandatory in PA, it is free, and gives an insurance discount, and will be a very good use of your time and build your skills.

I love my NInja 250. Even though I have the SV650 now, the Ninja is just a ball to drive. The automotive equivilant is like a Suzuki Cappucino, you really wind out out and can toss it around and have a great time and you aren't going superlegal speeds. When you are just commuting, it has plenty of power to keep up with traffic on the highway at 80, gets 65+ MPG, and extremely cheap and available parts. That being said I'll be trying to sell it anytime now, as I don't need or have space for 2 bikes.

teamdixonracing
teamdixonracing Dork
9/23/10 7:30 p.m.
CarKid1989 wrote:
teamdixonracing wrote: My brother has one he's been riding for a couple years now. He swears by it. I've considered buying one a couple times but never gone through with it.

I haven't ridden it much to give you a first hand opinion. He mainly uses it as a commuter bike. I think it has enough power to be fun but it depends on what you're looking for as to whether or not it will get boring.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Dork
9/23/10 10:14 p.m.
Sonic wrote: In reply to ratghia: Although MSF course is not mandatory in PA, it is free, and gives an insurance discount, and will be a very good use of your time and build your skills. I love my NInja 250. Even though I have the SV650 now, the Ninja is just a ball to drive. The automotive equivilant is like a Suzuki Cappucino, you really wind out out and can toss it around and have a great time and you aren't going superlegal speeds. When you are just commuting, it has plenty of power to keep up with traffic on the highway at 80, gets 65+ MPG, and extremely cheap and available parts. That being said I'll be trying to sell it anytime now, as I don't need or have space for 2 bikes.

for sale? how much ?? haha PM me

sanyarcosean
sanyarcosean Reader
9/23/10 10:54 p.m.
ratghia said: I am going to take the safety course but don’t think it is mandatory in Pa.

It may not be mandatory in PA, bit it is still mandatory..... LOL

Did you unload the parts from the GTI Yet??

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/24/10 5:21 p.m.
Sonic wrote: In reply to ratghia: Although MSF course is not mandatory in PA, it is free, and gives an insurance discount, and will be a very good use of your time and build your skills.
  • a lot. Two evenings and two half-day Saturdays are not much to gain valuable skills, reduce your insurance, and avoid having to go take you test somewhere. I highly recommend it.
ratghia
ratghia Reader
9/25/10 4:24 p.m.

Today I got the bike started for the first time. I rebuilt the carbs last night and got all the gunk out of them. Today I threw a new battery in it and added some fresh gas and after a while of playing around with it I got it to catch. It was a little off and smoked at first but the more I run it the more it cleans up. I want to change the oil tomorrow and then try to get the idle set and the carbs synchronized.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ke27cPPC9ZejrhT74Y1KhSUH7Ry8DbpFYoVJ1Fn8jd5Oy8Ljj0KyTJFlNcJDlwlC