1 2
Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
8/1/20 11:14 p.m.

Anybody have any late model Sportster parts?  Went down 50 feet from my driveway last night, pinned under almost 600 pounds of American Iron, had to scream for help until my neighbor and his wife came out to free me.  Long road to recovery ahead, nothing is broken with means I have a lot of soft tissue damage 

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
8/1/20 11:17 p.m.

Mods delete that last one if it's too much.

BTW, had on Jean's, steel toe boots, Mechanix gloves and a full face helmet.

Sure wish I had my super awesome jacket on

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/1/20 11:25 p.m.

My brother in law might have some stuff.  What do you need and where are you?

Get well, my man

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/1/20 11:26 p.m.

Ouch, I hope you heal up quick!

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
8/1/20 11:41 p.m.

Clutch lever assembly, derby cover, both left turn signals and a left foot peg and shift lever.  Mid controls.

A good friend has a cousin at a dealership in Maine who is going to be on the lookout for takeoffs when folks personalize. 

Same neighbor that pulled the bike off studied the street where it happened, apparently the guy across the street had a skid steer with a hydraulic leak or spilled fluid refilling it combined with a bunch of dirt in the road.

All I know for sure is the front end just disappeared and the bike worked me over like a surfer in a big wave

Montgomery Alabama (middle of the state.

Is it crazy that I cant even walk and I'm looking for bike parts?

Mr_Asa
8/1/20 11:47 p.m.

What year Sportster?  Does it matter? I'm not a motorsickle guy

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
8/2/20 12:48 a.m.

bummer dude, good luck on the healing up

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
8/2/20 1:09 a.m.

Mine is a 2010, but I've read they're all a lot alike 

Mr_Asa
8/2/20 11:42 a.m.

I'll ask and get back to you.

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
8/2/20 4:04 p.m.

Changed my bandages this is the bloody arm from first post that got stitches

The knee I think is the worst.  Still can't move it or put weight on it.  Very disappointed in the hospital for giving me (and charging my insurance for) things like an EKG for a motorcycle wreck but no split, brace, air cast, nothing for my knee or hand.  Cant use thumb or pointer still either.

this is normal for reference 

Damn dude. Want me to mail you my walker from when i had my ankle surgery?

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
8/2/20 4:20 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) :

That would be awesome if I had 2 decent hands.  As it is I have to swing my left crutch by my armpit

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
8/3/20 5:51 a.m.

I went down pretty hard almost a year ago, luckily at probably only 24 mph. Though I did break my thumb I had no abrasions of the skin, because ATGATT.

Let this be a lesson to y'all who think gearing up is for sissies.

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
8/3/20 11:16 a.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

I've worn everything but my jacket lately due to heat.  Regrets, life is full of them.

Probably never ride without it again 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/3/20 11:30 a.m.

If anything good comes out of this thread, it's wearing your gear. 

wawazat
wawazat Dork
8/3/20 12:11 p.m.

That's rough man!  I hope you heal up quickly.

I've ridden around my block twice without my jacket though it feels strange.  I can't see me heading out without it for a longer ride though the heat can be oppressive.   

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
8/3/20 12:17 p.m.

Not sure where you are, but Alabama has a reputation for being hot in the summer.  It's TRUE, 

The jacket is mesh, I'll just suffer next time

wawazat
wawazat Dork
8/3/20 12:33 p.m.

Detroit.  Hot and humid though probably not as bad as Alabama.

I ride with a perforated leather Dianese jacket with all the armor-back, shoulders, and elbows.   Hot?  Yup, but a breathable shirt (not cotton) helps a ton when I'm moving.

CJ (He's Just an FS)
CJ (He's Just an FS) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/3/20 12:35 p.m.

If there was actually hydraulic fluid in the road, your neighbor with the skid steer may have a problem.  Had a neighbor who was a highway patrolman.  Came around a corner and ran into a patch of diesel spilled by a log truck with no fuel cap.  Flipped the patrol car, plate in his skull, permanently disabled.  Apparently, it is neither OK create a hazard in a public road or to leave it once you do.

Hope you get better soon.

Dieselboss15
Dieselboss15 New Reader
8/3/20 2:30 p.m.

ouch. similar thing happened to me on my pedal bike but not near as bad. hope you heal up quickly!!

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
8/3/20 11:22 p.m.

Pulling stuck bandages off of road rash sucks

bigeyedfish
bigeyedfish Reader
8/7/20 7:32 a.m.
Justjim75 said:

Pulling stuck bandages off of road rash sucks

Amen.  Letting stuck bandages soak in the shower before removal can help.  You probably already know that, but just in case.

Taking a fall is the worst. Gear gear gear people. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/7/20 8:59 a.m.

Gear is hot and uncomfortable. But at least you can take them off when you're done.  Casts and bandages you're stuck with for awhile.

The last time I went to a bike park, I was reminded of why I need to get some elbow/arm guards.  A mild, low-speed tumble and the only part that got scraped up was the unprotected area.  Strange crash - lost the bike in a berm and I ended up running down the trail and did an intentional roll to slow down/stop. Except rocky DH trails are not something to practice tumbling on... 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/7/20 5:15 p.m.

Sweat washes off.

Scabs and stitches don't.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
o4nfGAfIuWvXUtr5KKxaawkKVaq2rzxZ6nvg6RjHaINNaxMjzqHKkUj0jctW22ah