1 2
markwemple
markwemple UltraDork
10/21/17 8:17 p.m.

H/Ds biggest problem is qualty. It doesn't have any. If BMW doesn't focus they'll loose out too. BMWs aren't what they used to be. They still make a great bike but I would't want to see the cost of doing 250k miles on a new one.

RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UberDork
10/21/17 8:46 p.m.
pres589 said:

Isn't H-D doing more work offshore these days?  And they're crying that the kids in the USA aren't spending money on their products?  This whole thing seems really oddly disconnected from a reality that many are living in these days.

No. It's still being done here. The only thing that's being done offshore is the new Street  line, in India, for that market

In reply to markwemple:

Why do you always have a tendency to stink things up with your uneducated opinion?

markwemple
markwemple UltraDork
10/21/17 8:59 p.m.

WTF do you believe it's uneducated? I am entitled to an opinion from my life experience plus those of others plus working on and riding those POSs. You should try fixing and working on other bikes before blowing out your hole.

chaparral
chaparral Dork
10/25/17 11:45 a.m.

One big problem I see is that we had considerable legislative influence - and completely misdirected it.

Motorcyclists were able to lobby for removal of many state laws. Unfortunately, instead of using our voting and donating power to abolish speed limits for motorcyclists, get 50-state lane-splitting, or omnidirectional yield-on-red, any of which would have significantly improved the practicality and enjoyment of motorcycling for the 10,000 mile per year rider,  we used it to abolish helmet laws. Now we are a spent force legislatively.

What a waste! Millenials grew up wearing bicycle helmets, and are comfortable with a nice, modern full-face. Gaining the freedom to not wear one is irrelevant to us.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s New Reader
10/25/17 7:27 p.m.

All that no-helmet stuff, loud pipe law fighting and battling against tougher rider education legislation was Harley lobbying through the AMA.

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
10/25/17 8:41 p.m.

Around here (middle of Canada) vintage motorcycles seem to be the biggest trend, with more and more 60's-80's Japanese bikes coming out of sheds every day. I don't know if it's some sort of Hipster trend or if it's because newer bikes are so expensive to insure around here, but I like seeing all the old bikes running around. I ride this customized 1965 Harley 250 and am pretty sure I'll never see another one while I'm out on a ride.

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/loosecannon/media/Motorcycle/IMG_0107_zpsn7fdwtkd.jpg.html][/URL]

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/25/17 9:35 p.m.

That Sprint is berkeleyin RAD!

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
10/25/17 10:13 p.m.

Thanks, here is what it looks like when I got it. My wife also has one and it's under construction, it will look stock but have upgraded brakes

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/loosecannon/media/Motorcycle/IMG_6731_zpsdxde2sx5.jpg.html][/URL]

Morbid
Morbid HalfDork
10/25/17 11:46 p.m.

I fall into the millennial category and, although I grew up firmly entrenched in Harley culture, count me in with those who, when shopping for my own bike, never considered a Harley for longer than a few seconds. Between the expense and over-the-top chest pounding, the fact that no Harley I've ever thrown a leg over felt comfortable or stable to me was not a finding I was exactly upset about.

Instead I picked up a 1980 XS400 for $600 with <5k miles and had a ton of fun on it. The best part? When life tossed a major curve ball my way, I could afford to drop the insurance and park the bike, there was no pressure to decide to sell it right away, as it is costing nothing while it sits. 

I don't think I'll ever understand spending Harley money on a car, let alone something I can only ride for half the year. It's just not my thing, I guess. 

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
10/26/17 12:04 a.m.

"Aermacchi" is confusing to american motorcyclists, that's why that sprint says "Harley Davidson" :P

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
10/26/17 6:02 a.m.

Anyone know what model Kawasaki that is in Loosecannon's picture?  That a Zephyr? 

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
10/26/17 6:29 a.m.

The Kawi is a Spectre.

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
10/26/17 8:50 a.m.

Looks like a cool bike.  Reading about them makes me think they'd be about what I'd want again if I ever got rid of my non-running VFR and wanted to ride again.  

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/26/17 9:20 a.m.

The Kawi or the Sprint? The answer is yes.

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
10/26/17 10:14 a.m.

I can't really imagine having the Sprint as my only motorcycle if I had one at all.  A second bike for around town, sure, but I like to get out on the highway too much.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pkKpikiYr2gxhY8ec3RBpXi0zP30DBQufucvWcPUsrbN197PU7DfaA8xTGOEkiDr