1 2 3
Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
6/10/12 10:48 a.m.

Huh. It looks exactly like the release deal in my XS, right down to the ball bearing. That one just pops right off of the clutch pushrod. Now, if that fork holds the adjuster to the main case, then yes it could be binding on the outer case.

Moparman
Moparman HalfDork
6/10/12 4:38 p.m.

In reply to Curmudgeon:

Just in case, I removed the bolt from the fork.I can't get it back in the fork now.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
6/10/12 4:41 p.m.

Woops. Now I'm sorta lost on where to go next. 44 dwarf is going to be much more familiar with them than me, I think.

Moparman
Moparman HalfDork
6/10/12 5:30 p.m.

I have one of the senior guys over at Hondatwins stumped as well.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
6/10/12 6:04 p.m.

Shotgun.

Moparman
Moparman HalfDork
6/10/12 7:13 p.m.

My son cracked the cover out of frustration. It is definitely stuck in the center.

Moparman
Moparman HalfDork
6/10/12 7:27 p.m.

See now that it is hung up on the gear shift shaft.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf SuperDork
6/11/12 7:25 a.m.

Is the shift shaft tweaked from a fall?

Moparman
Moparman HalfDork
6/11/12 8:19 a.m.

In reply to 44Dwarf:

That is what someone else asked me this morning. The bike has not been down in my possesion. There are no signs that it has been down. All lights are undamaged, no dents dings or scrapes (even the tank is perfect except for faed paint, not so much as a dimple) and side covers are perfect. Assuming that the shaft is damaged, what is my next step?

44Dwarf
44Dwarf SuperDork
6/11/12 10:20 a.m.

Well if covers busted allready... bust the E36 M3 out of it and then sand down the shift shaft and replace the cover i'd say.

Moparman
Moparman HalfDork
6/11/12 7:16 p.m.

Previous owner swears the bike never fell over. Considering that the tank, lights and covers are perfect (nary a scratch), I believe him. He swears that, after sitting for a few years, it just got stuck.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
6/12/12 8:39 a.m.

Probably corrosion. If water got in between the shaft and the housing, electrolysis turns the aluminum into something that looks like wheat paste but is tough as nails. PB Blaster will usually loosen it up but it's not real quick.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/12/12 8:45 a.m.

Not much to look at? When riding down a tree-lined street in October, motor humming, a fall rainbow of leaves kicking up in my wake, safely ensconced in my leathers, the smell of cut grass wafting by as a downshift to stitch together yet another bend, I never really care what my ride looks like.

Moparman
Moparman HalfDork
6/12/12 9:51 a.m.

In reply to Curmudgeon:

I sprayed it Sunday night. Trying it again today. If not, I am cutting her off. I have another cover (in better condition than the original.

Moparman
Moparman HalfDork
6/12/12 9:51 a.m.

In reply to pinchvalve:

I hear you. I don't need it to look like a show bike. Just clean and somewhat personalized.

Moparman
Moparman HalfDork
6/12/12 3:45 p.m.

Started cutting the cover. The shifter is rusted to the sprocket cover. I will try to get some pics. It is crazy.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf SuperDork
6/12/12 6:03 p.m.

Was it put away freshly washed and never ridden again? Is there a steel bushing cast in to the cover or was the alum just closed up around the steel shaft tight?

Moparman
Moparman HalfDork
6/13/12 9:21 a.m.

In reply to 44Dwarf:

I have not finished cutting through, but considering that I am literally peeling the guard off of the shaft, I think it is mostly a shft to cover problem. Maybe there is a bushing behind it, but I have not gone that far.

The bike was left outside for a few years.

Appleseed
Appleseed PowerDork
6/13/12 11:59 a.m.
Moparman wrote: The bike was left outside for a few years.

This is the most likely reason for your problems.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
6/13/12 1:34 p.m.

Some dishwashing liquids will really attack uncoated or non anodized aluminum. The 'purple stuff' and similar soaps will also really booger it up if it's not rinsed off pretty quick.

Moparman
Moparman HalfDork
6/13/12 4:11 p.m.

Got the guard off. In addition to rust, there was a rodents’ nest up there. The shifter is free and the gearbox shifts fine.

Moparman
Moparman HalfDork
6/13/12 8:39 p.m.

I want to fire the bike up tonight. I can see where the lines from the petcock go into the carbs, but there are two fittings at the back of the tank and I don't know there they go.

slowcamaro
slowcamaro New Reader
6/13/12 9:28 p.m.

equalization hose?

Moparman
Moparman HalfDork
6/13/12 10:00 p.m.

OK got the carbs on, figured the fuel lines, etc. Turn the petcock on and the right carb leaks from the bowl gasket then stops leaking on its own. I crank the engine (with its new battery) and it cranks, but no start. I stop and try again and nothing. I switch everything off, turn everything back on and it cranks. I stop and go to crank again and nothing. Still nothing. I am perplexed.

Moparman
Moparman HalfDork
6/13/12 10:01 p.m.

In reply to slowcamaro:

yup. fugured that out, but I am slow.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uzrqLoVwqIHGJfL8RWIUUyRjCXXpHTBxNdFq5tR3DAX5LGxzjjV1DXoXyQG6cl26