1 2
Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
3/23/17 5:30 p.m.
Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
3/24/17 11:22 a.m.

I wonder if that would have been the reaction to any bike that guy bought not jus that one in particular.

Did America's hat get the taller European suspension or the stupid useless slammed one the 'murricans got?

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
3/24/17 2:29 p.m.

No idea, I've never had the desire to play dress-up enough to bother looking at Harley Davidson.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
3/24/17 2:46 p.m.

I live in Daytona.....so I'm no stranger to Harley's and those that ride them. I'd say the guys on other motorcycles play "dress-up" at least as much as the Harley guys......they just do it in different outfits.

I've never had the desire to wear neon yellow vests that make me look like a pylon riding a motorcycle--- BMW "adventure" Riders

i've never had the desire to wear crazy colored leather jackets and glue "mohawk" hair on my helmet--- crotch rockets

I've never had the desire to grow a handlebar mustache, wear skinny jeans and a skull-cap---- cafe' bike riders

You may be too cool for school..... but lets not pretend that it's just the Harley guys playing "dress up".

NEALSMO
NEALSMO UltraDork
3/24/17 2:51 p.m.

I don't think wearing neon yellow as playing dress up. No matter what bike I am on, I have some sort of dayglow color on. It's the whole not wanting to die instinct.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
3/24/17 3:26 p.m.

In for pics of the cat.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
3/24/17 3:39 p.m.

In reply to Joe Gearin:

Sorry if I hit a little close to home there. Your skull bandanna and fingerless gloves are fine by me.

No leather party pants and pirate outfit.

No flannel.

No high vis either.

Seems like the "average joe on a bike" has gone out of style.

Just a plain, armoured textile jacket and pants with a full face helmet. It's the least "look at me and my motorcycle" outfit I could find.

This is it:

Go ahead and make whatever assumptions you want.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
3/24/17 4:00 p.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: In reply to Joe Gearin: Sorry if I hit a little close to home there. Your skull bandanna and fingerless gloves are fine by me. No leather party pants and pirate outfit. No flannel. No high vis either. Seems like the "average joe on a bike" has gone out of style. Just a plain, armoured textile jacket and pants with a full face helmet. It's the least "look at me and my motorcycle" outfit I could find. This is it: Go ahead and make whatever assumptions you want.

My jacket does have a dark blue in it because I liked it....

and I wear jeans, boots and carry a .45. Does that make me a dress-up person too? Or am I just not being a damn moron by trying to be proactive about my personal protection from all?

Joe Gearin
3/24/17 4:03 p.m.

Trans_Marco----- no assumptions made about your riding style---- I'm very similar. I like to keep a low profile. (well besides my assless chaps!) My point was that is isn't just Harley riders playing "dress up". Nearly all bikers do it.

Harleys are good bikes, people love them. I don't have a desire for a Harley, but I can see why folks are attracted to them.

This past bike week I rode with a few serious Harley guys. (not accountants, not lawyers--- actual biker club members) Although I felt a little strange in that group of hard-core 1% type guys, not one of them gave me any E36 M3, or disrespected me or my bike. A few of them actually were curious, and asked questions about it.......just like any other bike enthusiast would.

I was on my bright green Kawasaki Versys 650....it stuck out like a sore thumb in a sea of Harleys. They were all cool with it. If they aren't going to run me down for my bike choice, I"m sure not going to run them down for wearing leather and skull bandannas.

The constant Harley bashing gets tiresome. If you are on two wheels (or four for that matter) and having fun......I'm ok with folks dressing funny. Kids play cowboys and indians.......adults ride motorcycles.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
3/24/17 4:20 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: Trans_Marco----- no assumptions made about your riding style---- I'm very similar. I like to keep a low profile. (well besides my assless chaps!) My point was that is isn't just Harley riders playing "dress up". Nearly all bikers do it. Harleys are good bikes, people love them. I don't have a desire for a Harley, but I can see why folks are attracted to them. This past bike week I rode with a few serious Harley guys. (not accountants, not lawyers--- actual biker club members) Although I felt a little strange in that group of hard-core 1% type guys, not one of them gave me any E36 M3, or disrespected me or my bike. A few of them actually were curious, and asked questions about it.......just like any other bike enthusiast would. I was on my bright green Kawasaki Versys 650....it stuck out like a sore thumb in a sea of Harleys. They were all cool with it. If they aren't going to run me down for my bike choice, I"m sure not going to run them down for wearing leather and skull bandannas. The constant Harley bashing gets tiresome. If you are on two wheels (or four for that matter) and having fun......I'm ok with folks dressing funny. Kids play cowboys and indians.......adults ride motorcycles.

I get what you're saying, but being a lifelong "riceburner" rider I've heard nothing but E36 M3 from the Harley crowds. Its's the norm and not the exception unfortunately. I don't care what you ride. Want to ride a vibrator? Go for it. Want a crotch rocket? Go for it. Just ride and don't be a dick. THat's all I ask.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
3/24/17 4:22 p.m.

Sorry if you took my posts seriously Joe, it's hard to convey tone properly online.

I ride 'Guzzis, you need a sense of humour to be a 'Guzzi owner. My bikes are equally tractory.

I ride with a couple Harley riders, Kawasaki guys, Honda guys, etc. We all bust each others balls, no-one is safe.

My buddy rides a Norton Commando, he also has an XLCR that I would do unmentionable things to have in my garage.

I've ridden my customers Heritage Softail, Street Rod and FLHT CVO. None of them really do anything for me, the Heritage is probably the best looking and nicest riding one of them all.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
3/24/17 6:47 p.m.

Of course you would apologize. berkeleying Canoodians.

That is totally the Harley Harley guys buy for their bitch when she gets too heavy to sit pillion.

Don't let Joe shake your cage... Making fun of motorcycle stereotypes is all we have left. I can't even tell a Mic joke anymore without throwing sand up a vagina. So... Klr milk crates, Starbucks and BMW, and pirate dentist badass humor it will be.

berkeley. Guzzi doesn't even have one. You people are just odd.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
3/24/17 7:29 p.m.

In reply to Huckleberry:

Sorry.

We do have a stereotype...

https://www.youtube.com/embed/3nnv9ctzYUc

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
3/24/17 11:04 p.m.

The Fonz? I thought he rode a Triumph Trophy?

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
3/24/17 11:37 p.m.
Huckleberry wrote: The Fonz? I thought he rode a Triumph Trophy?

Really?

That's the best you could do?

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/25/17 12:37 a.m.

Is that Sportster being a "girl's bike" anything like a Miata being a "girl's car?" As a 6'2" adult male with two 350s and one 400 in my stable, I'm obviously not an authority on the manly bike, so I need to turn to outside opinions to get the appropriate frame of reference.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
3/25/17 12:56 a.m.

Mostly it's a "girl" bike thanks to the opinions of the loyal HD bretheren.

Lord help you if you buy the "wrong" Harley Davidson.

The 883 is the little motor so you automatically have a "girl bike"

The Sportster is considered a girl bike even if you have the big engine. Add the smaller motor and you're really screwed.

The FXR was a girl bike because HD tried to build a metric cruiser. It's reasonably fast, light, stops well and handles properly. Clearly not HD material.

The new 500 and 750 "Street" models will be girl bikes, guaranteed.

The XCLR was kinda fast, kinda handled ok and sorta stopped. HD tried to build a British bike. Who wants that? (Hint, I do)

Apparently the only "true" Harley Davidson is a 750lb plus land barge that does the chopper flop every time you lean it into a corner and drags the exhaust when it's the least bit heeled over.

That's the nice part about Japanese, British or Italian bikes. A 350 or a 500 is just a "cool little bike" and you won't be shunned for it.

I'd love an XLCR or XR1200 but they're not "real" Harleys.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/26/17 6:48 p.m.

Power Ranger, pirate, crossing guard, or squid. Which one are you? Because to cagers, we all look goofy.

Joe Gearin
3/27/17 9:24 a.m.

Sorry if I came across dickish----(see, and I'm not even Canadian!) I'd agree-- ride what you ride, enjoy yourself, and who gives a flying berkeley what other riders think.

I also think the XR1200 is Harley's coolest bike. Still don't see me buying one though.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
3/27/17 10:16 a.m.
Huckleberry wrote: The Fonz? I thought he rode a Triumph Trophy?

Only once, you see it at the beginning of the show. Two guys had to catch him at the end, Henry Winkler never rode a bike in his life and hasn't since.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
3/27/17 10:53 p.m.

I wear the same thing on the Yamaha as I did on my girls bike. I must be doing it wrong.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
3/28/17 5:39 a.m.

You could probably wash that jacket

Nick (Bo) Comstock
3/28/17 10:02 a.m.

Do my hip protectors make me look fat?

fanfoy
fanfoy Dork
3/28/17 10:15 a.m.
Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
3/28/17 10:17 a.m.
Nick (Bo) Comstock wrote: Do my hip protectors make me look fat?

No, but standing there in front of that fence makes me think of Hee Haw.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/WJZY__j0Tyk

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yBbI1F4b7W2k7YrCBmEI1ijp2lDEctdJguhkU64NETn987wLiwooldD83cFMZQaF