MackenzieHailey
MackenzieHailey
6/6/19 8:48 p.m.

Hi!

My name is Mack and I just bought a 2007 Honda CB750 from a friend. I've tried riding bikes before but I haven't got a chance to own one until now. I just want to gain more knowledge about the motorcycle and the lifestyle that it brings with it. Well, I just noticed that every time I ride my bike I hear a ringing sound and just found out that it's probably tinnitus. I don't always hear the ringing but I got a bit scared of losing my sense of hearing. 

Any suggestion on what hearing protection I should buy? I'm currently doing my research and If you could help then that would be great!

​​​​​​​Thanks!

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/6/19 9:04 p.m.

I've been using the green Howard Leight ear plugs for riding for over a decade. I may ride the ten minutes into town at 35mph without them, but in any other situation I'm using earplugs.

Helmet fit is also very important, some brands are noisier than others and if the helmet doesn't fit well it increases the noise inside the helmet.

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/6/19 9:06 p.m.

It's been a while since I researched to see if there is anything better, but I've been using Howard Leight disposable foam earplugs that are rated for 33db noise reduction.  Got a box of 100 pair of the ones that are corded together for something like $35 online.  I use a semi-rigid case from some earphones that died to store them in and reuse them until they get nasty.  Then I chuck 'em and pull a new pair out.  Actually, I keep a new pair in the case so I have a spare if I lose the pair I'm currently using...

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
6/6/19 9:54 p.m.

I too use 33db foam plugs. I've tried everything short of custom molded and like them the best. Helmet fit plays a huge role as well. Unfortunately with the new helmet I get a lot of very low frequency drumming that I believe is bone conduction. It's not the typical wind noise I got with the other helmets. But it's louder to me than the regular wind noise just a much lower frequency. I haven't found a solution yet.

Tinnitus is a bitch and I want no part of it. 

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/7/19 2:38 a.m.

I use moldable wax Mighty Plugs. For me, they are the quietest and the most comfortable. I’ve tried several highly regarded foam plugs but found that either my ears hurt after a while or they come loose. YMMV.

https://mightyplugs.com/

You warm them up for a little bit in your hand, roll them around and then as you insert, they mold to your ears. I tried a couple pairs then bought the multipack so I can keep a backup set on me (you’ll know why when you drop a soft and warm one in the ground!) and toss them when they get too far along.

rwdsport
rwdsport Reader
6/7/19 1:33 p.m.

Eardial Hifi Earplugs from amazon. They are cleanable, come with a great case that I always have on my keychain which I like to keep lean and I am happy with how compact this case is.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/7/19 2:09 p.m.

I've had tinnitus for over 20 years, you get used to it.  OK seriously, it sucks, avoid it, but be careful with foam ear plugs. Too much use can lead to inflammation and wear on the eardrum. 

As to the rest of the question, there are 4 basic motorcycle lifestyles. 

1: Harley - Buy everything you can with a Harley logo on it, hang out with HOG members, go on HOG rides, talk about Harleys a lot. Casually accept Goldwings as well. 

2. Sport Bikes - Loud clothes, loud pipes, loud bars, loud music. Ride fast everywhere. 

3. Touring - ATGATT, one-piece suits that are waterproof, windproof, fireproof, and have a special pocket for everything. Ride in any weather, any distance.

4. Everyone Else -  Whether you ride a Hog, a Hayabusa, a BMW, or something else, this is where you probably want to be. Find a group of people that like to ride like you do, be it bar-hopping (for NA beers), track days, Saturday afternoon tours, or Sunday morning back-road blasts.  My riding buddies ride Harleys, Sport Bikes, KLR650s, V-Stroms, and more, and we all dress differently. We enjoy riding in nice weather, and tend to head out early, stop at a diner for breakfast, then tour back roads. None of us ride too fast or aggressively, so we stay together well.  I have ridden with other groups, like some sport-touring guys. They were super nice and welcomed me with open arms, but I could not keep up on back roads. Its important to find a group that fits your style.  

As for solo riding, that's up to you. I ride when I want to, not because I have to, and only in good weather. I don't drink and ride, I don't ride when rushed or frustrated, and I always wear a helmet. Some folks ride as long as its dry, even in negative temps. Others ride in shorts and flip flops.  I take the bike to work sometimes, and to Home Depot when I want to force myself to buy only the paintbrush I went in for. Others ride every day, or only on Sundays. Find what you like about riding, and do that and forget what others think. 

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
6/7/19 3:23 p.m.

Some helmets are more quiet than others.  I currently am trying to learn to live with an LS-2 Variant modular helmet (the kind where the chin bar can swing up and over the helmet) and with the chin bar down and me facing forward is quite loud.  I have a Scorpion full-face conventional that is more quiet.  A windscreen can help.  But really follow the above suggestion regarding ear plugs.  I use foam disposables (I wear them much more than once, a small pill bottle or film can works well for keeping them in a jacket pocket).  40mph is about the cut-off to where I put them in my ears.  

spandak
spandak Reader
6/7/19 11:10 p.m.

I use the alpine race ear plugs on amazon. I’ve had them for probably a year and wear them almost daily. They’re good enough for me. 

Im a fairly new rider myself So my experience is puny compared to most of the guys here. I would just say to not push it harder than you’re comfortable with (though a little pushing is good to grow your skills). And have fun! Every ride is a good ride as long as you make it home. 

Rodan
Rodan Dork
6/9/19 9:01 p.m.

Lots of good advice here.

I'm also in the foam earplug camp.  Howard Leight Max-Lite, buy in boxes of 100pr from Amazon.  I use them for the bike, and also for shooting, working in the garage, driving the Miata top down, and even sleeping ( I work nights).  Just change them out often to keep them from getting dirty.  I also have a custom molded set with speakers that I use for longer rides, but the foamies are actually quieter.

Something I haven't seen mentioned yet is do yourself a favor and take an MSF or equivalent basic class.  You'll learn things you didn't even know you didn't know.  After you get comfortable riding at road speeds, take the advanced course.  Practice the skills you learn.  They WILL save your life someday.

Buy the best gear you can afford, and wear it.  Even an inexpensive jacket and pants can save an expensive trip to the ER and weeks/months of pain in even a minor getoff.  After a helmet and jacket buy good boots and gloves.  The kind with hard armor in the right places.  Feet and hands are easily damaged in a motorcycle crash, and don't always heal well.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/11/19 12:46 a.m.

I ate like 4 or 5 of these things. They didn't quite the ride at all.

acorad
acorad New Reader
6/11/19 4:52 p.m.

I got some relatively inexpensive ear plugs online from a company called "Eargasm." They really are comfortable, unlike the drugstore-variety foam plugs I had used previously.

As someone with direct experience with this, I really suggest getting a bike with ABS.

Whether you are a bike neophyte or 50 year bike veteran, when things go sideways and/or you make one of those silly mistakes us humans are so infamous for, ABS will save your skin, bones, and potentially your life.

Andy

MackenzieHailey
MackenzieHailey New Reader
6/26/19 9:09 p.m.

Hey guys, I've been busy with work lately and I just had the chance to take a peak here. The past two weeks I've tried a lot of foam earplugs but I got some pain and redness in my ears. A friend suggested I order custom-molded plugs but I'm thinking of trying other earplug brands first. I really appreciate all the response here. 

MackenzieHailey
6/26/19 9:14 p.m.
BoxheadTim said:

I've been using the green Howard Leight ear plugs for riding for over a decade. I may ride the ten minutes into town at 35mph without them, but in any other situation I'm using earplugs.

Helmet fit is also very important, some brands are noisier than others and if the helmet doesn't fit well it increases the noise inside the helmet.

Will make sure I try Howard Leight ear plugs. Another comment mentioned this brand too so I think this is worth the try.

MackenzieHailey
6/26/19 9:17 p.m.

In reply to Nick Comstock :

Yeah, it seems like my helmet is a bit loose. What brand of plugs do you use?

MackenzieHailey
6/26/19 9:18 p.m.

In reply to ae86andkp61 :

Checking the website now. Thanks!

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
7/2/19 2:11 a.m.

I think this thread needs more CB750 pics

also, I wonder how well those work on my canoe?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bgwbn7bUBHPepcrKaragAA7EvIiD4Vx5mPfxeC9RVk202oK7XAaZWjq8hEc7hJCq