1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 45
Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
5/3/19 8:14 a.m.

In reply to akylekoz :

Yes... JDM thing.  Lots of little sportbikes in 250-400 sizes were 4 bangers.  My favorite was the RVF400R Honda... laugh

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
5/3/19 8:16 a.m.
akylekoz said:

In reply to ae86andkp61 :

So the gixxer is a 250 four cylinder, I just assumed all of the 250 sport bikes were one lungers.  Is it a JDM thing?

Yes, it is.  There were a number of interesting little 250 four cylinder bikes for the Japanese domestic market.  I've always wanted one of their 250 Katanas.

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/4/19 10:54 p.m.

In reply to akylekoz :

Yup, imported from Japan. Should be quite a screamer with those tiny little pistons! Revs, revs, and more revs! 17,000rpm redline!

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
5/7/19 3:23 p.m.

In reply to akylekoz :

All GSXRs are 4 cylinders (250, 400, 600, 750, 1000 & 1100).

There are other small Japanese sport bikes.

Suzuki made a two stroke 250cc twin cylinder sport bike RGV250

I am not aware of any single cylinder 250cc sport bikes from the big 4.

Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 Dork
5/7/19 3:27 p.m.

HOLD THAT - 

just learned about this - https://www.globalsuzuki.com/motorcycle/products/gsx-r125/#engine

GSX-R 125cc single. Not sure you will see these at the local suzuki dealer in the USA. 

MulletTruck
MulletTruck HalfDork
5/10/19 9:44 a.m.

In reply to Rodan :

We had those little bikes in Canada, And a lot of the two strokes that never trickled south. They didnt think they were a good market for smaller bikes.

rwdsport
rwdsport Reader
5/14/19 12:07 p.m.

Raider (doesnt look much like the stock bike anymore), 130 lb/ft @ the wheels devil

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
5/14/19 12:10 p.m.

In reply to rwdsport :

I bet that's fun!

rwdsport
rwdsport Reader
5/14/19 3:29 p.m.

In reply to Nick Comstock :

She is perfect wink

imgon
imgon HalfDork
5/24/19 2:43 a.m.

My Grandkids on my 2000 BMW R110RT. The one in the middle has just started riding with me this season and he loves it. We took an hour and a half ride last weekend, his first long one and other than being a little chilly was a huge success. He is comfortable enough now that he "flys" down the road with his arms outstretched like wings. I was able to get the intercom set up so we had music to listen to and could talk to each other ​​​. Now just need to get him some better gear. He loves waving to the other bikes we see and is already asking about doing some long distance traveling. Think we'll have to wait until he is a little older for that. Hopefully his enthusiasm will rub off on the older grandson, he doesn't like noise  and is not as adventurous. The granddaughter is chomping at the bit to go but she is still too small, the rule is their feet have to be able to touch the foot pegs before they can go out on the street. It's fun to pass the torch onto another generation.

And a shot of a ferry crossing in PA from a trip in 2006. Cool little paddle wheel. To call the ferry you "opened" a door nailed to a tree and they could see it from the other side and came and picked you up, if it wasn't too foggy. I had to wait about a half hour for the fog to clear.

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
5/24/19 8:08 a.m.

In reply to imgon :

Nice RT, and great that you're getting the youngsters involved! yes

I had an R1100RSL, and IMHO the 1100-1150 oilheads are some of the best bikes BMW ever made...

imgon
imgon HalfDork
5/24/19 6:07 p.m.

In reply to Rodan :

The RSL is sharp looking, love that red. Right after I bought mine I learned they were coming out with the 1150 and was bummed I didn't wait. But a friend had one and the few times I rode it I never got used to the linked brakes.  The lines of all the R bikes of that era are very appealing.  The newer stuff looks like they took parts and put them in a blender and stuck them on a frame, body work should flow in my mind. All the angles just don't look right, except maybe the GS, those are growing on me.  The new 1250 might make me think about another,  cause I really need another toy I hardly use and costs an arm and a leg to maintain. 

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
5/28/19 6:21 p.m.

I picked up a new scooter last month, it’s very good but ver very hard to obey the law on. This isn’t it because I’m too lazy to upload photos. It’s an 09 1198 with 3k miles on it and a termi exhaust/ecu, carbon front fender, rear hugger, pillion cover, under seat area, key surround front air ducts, a woodcraft open clutch cover and anodized basket, quickshifter, and rollaclick levers. It feels monumentally fast and handles and stops like no bike I’ve experienced. We’ll see about reliable.....

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/28/19 6:31 p.m.

In reply to Carbon :

Oof. Congratulations, that's a hell of a bike.

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
5/29/19 6:47 a.m.
Ransom said:

In reply to Carbon :

Oof. Congratulations, that's a hell of a bike.

Thanks man! I’m really excited about it. It’s the longest I’ve spent riding a bike without thinking, “it just needs a little more power “. Lol. The biggest problem is that it is absolutely not made for obeying the law. 

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
5/29/19 7:11 a.m.

Nice 1198  yes

There's just something really special about Ducati superbikes... both the looks and the sound.  I'll never forget the first 916 I saw in person.

The last full-on sportbike I owned was a 2005 GSX-R1000.  I bought it for the track, and only rode it ~100 miles on the street because it was so ridiculous.  It's almost impossible to just cruise on a bike that focused.  And even then, 'cruising' is ~ 90mph... LOL

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
5/29/19 9:51 a.m.

Thanks man! I can’t fathom what a new pani v4 with the akra kit is like (234hp iirc). 

I might be biased but to me the 1198 is prettier. The pani always looked too aggressive to me, not femine enough. 

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
5/29/19 6:25 p.m.

The 1198 is definitely prettier.  I have a hard time choosing between that and the 916/996/998, though...

I think the edge goes to 1198 in hindsight, but the 916 was ground breaking in it's time.

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/29/19 7:35 p.m.

Putting the finishing touches on my custom DR350 project. I modified the frame to accept a CRF250 swingarm and linkage plus an RMZ250 front fork with a custom triple tree. The front wheel is RMZ and the rear wheel is modified and re-spaced DR350. The fairing is from Britannia Composites for a big upgrade in lighting and wind protection. Custom LED switchback turn signals in the handguards, Husqvarna taillight, custom rear rack, custom soft luggage attachment points, and custom lowered and rubber-mounted Pivot Pegz. Given how much of the lighting changed, I built a largely-new harness with heated grips, accessory charge ports, Trail Tech Vapor, voltmeter, cylinder head temp sensor, trickle-charge capacity, etc. Plastics are a mix of Clarke oversized tank, Acerbis/Cycra RMZ  and universal fit with stock DR side panels. The exhaust is a modified stock head pipe with a custom midpipe and KTM EXC350 muffler. The kickstand is a Trailtech aluminum one designed for KTMs. I still need to finish the skidplate and a few details and then go get her dirty. This project pushed my fabrication skill set to new heights and was a fun challenge. I’m not sure one a strong case can be made for the time/money investment being worthwhile unless you look at it as a learning experience, but I have no regrets. 

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
5/31/19 11:16 a.m.
ae86andkp61 said:

Putting the finishing touches on my custom DR350 project. I modified the frame to accept a CRF250 swingarm and linkage plus an RMZ250 front fork with a custom triple tree. The front wheel is RMZ and the rear wheel is modified and re-spaced DR350. The fairing is from Britannia Composites for a big upgrade in lighting and wind protection. Custom LED switchback turn signals in the handguards, Husqvarna taillight, custom rear rack, custom soft luggage attachment points, and custom lowered and rubber-mounted Pivot Pegz. Given how much of the lighting changed, I built a largely-new harness with heated grips, accessory charge ports, Trail Tech Vapor, voltmeter, cylinder head temp sensor, trickle-charge capacity, etc. Plastics are a mix of Clarke oversized tank, Acerbis/Cycra RMZ  and universal fit with stock DR side panels. The exhaust is a modified stock head pipe with a custom midpipe and KTM EXC350 muffler. The kickstand is a Trailtech aluminum one designed for KTMs. I still need to finish the skidplate and a few details and then go get her dirty. This project pushed my fabrication skill set to new heights and was a fun challenge. I’m not sure one a strong case can be made for the time/money investment being worthwhile unless you look at it as a learning experience, but I have no regrets. 

That’s awesome 

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified HalfDork
5/31/19 12:20 p.m.

This is not mine. Just saw it on youtube and thought it was cool

Rodan
Rodan Dork
5/31/19 3:01 p.m.

In reply to Ben_Modified :

Awesome!  That would be perfect for coal rolling the Spandex Mafia!  cheeky

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
5/31/19 3:05 p.m.

Since I have a bike that actually runs now, I get to post a picture! My 2002 XR100R with streety tires to go play on the kart track. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
5/31/19 4:30 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

I'm sure you've discovered this already, but those BT45s are really fun on grass too.  cheeky

crankwalk
crankwalk SuperDork
5/31/19 7:19 p.m.

Speaking of little 4 cylinders, I picked up this 72 CB350F on Saturday. Going to freshen it up and give it to the wife.

1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 45

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9XZLRBJgoSGARHDGh3hTnWBovgGQttrKOzEUBtNlboxR5am7dIYGrmQQyjBsli7T