914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/7/20 7:45 a.m.

My 1975 Goldwing project came with a grab rail behind the seat and a factory luggage rack (rare I understand).  Both are pretty rust a are the fenders.  In the picture below, the four bars on the left have been polished with 0000 steel wool and chrome polish but still has some pretty good etching and rust. Rechrome or just don't use them?

WWGRMD?

wae
wae UberDork
12/7/20 7:51 a.m.

I wouldn't re-chrome just that part unless you're looking for motivation to replace the exhaust, clean up the wheels and rear-end, and re-chrome the fender, handlebar, engine covers, tail light, heat shield, front forks, etc.

spandak
spandak HalfDork
12/7/20 10:26 a.m.

Depends on your level of investment. From what I can see the work you put in is 80% of the benefit and looks wayyyy better.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
12/7/20 10:28 a.m.

Unless you are doing a concourses restoration, find a powder coater and pic a complementary color. Paint won't hold up on a luggage rack.

Or, if this us just a beater bike, paint it and forget it.

Peabody
Peabody UltimaDork
12/7/20 10:47 a.m.

For something like that I'll usually use spray on bed liner or one of the better texture paints.

Bed liner usually has a nice matte finish and texture.

CJ (FS)
CJ (FS) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/7/20 11:14 a.m.

I have no idea how it would hold up, but this looks good in the video and the Internet doesn't lie...

Easy Chrome

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/7/20 11:25 a.m.

Thanks guys.  Not going to Pebble Beach so maybe a quick media blast and the  satin silve used on the forks.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/7/20 1:01 p.m.

As an alternative, I've been thinking about Nickel Plating some baby moon hubcaps I have.  They were originally chromed, but to get one of them rechromed is $150.  Nickel I can do at home, and it polishes up nicely.  Considering I've got two spares, I figured why not?

Haven't moved beyond that and looking up what's required for DIY, but it seems simple.

ebelements
ebelements Reader
12/9/20 12:43 p.m.

I've had really good luck scrubbing rusty chromed UJM bike parts with balled up aluminum foil and water or WD40 as a lubricant. about a half dozn years ago I bought perhaps the cheapest/sketchiest scrambler side pipes for my CB450 and after the treatment above they were actually pretty attractive. You'll be surprised after an hour or so how usable it looks—I'm told the aluminum particulate acts as some sort of filler, but who knows. Just make sure to use some sort of polish/protectant afterward to keep it from rusting again.

Report back with progress!

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
12/9/20 4:09 p.m.

That luggage rack looks aftermarket to me - if you have a bike salvage yard in your area, chances are they have a semi truck full of them for pretty cheap.  If not, try Sport Wheels in Minnesota: https://www.sportwheel.com

Evap-o-rust and clearcoat.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lTC8hPSJHq5eukirItJemMpAR0BxmHy7Wb6rDDKW2LYW9fMDXBsKYmDqis0IszgB