Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/11/20 10:10 a.m.

Our HOA doesn't allow us to have go karts or atvs on the streets so I got the kids a Razor MX650 electric dirt bike to play around the yard in.  I have to admit, I got on it and rode it around and it was a blast.  Now I have the issue that they all want to ride it and the battery doesn't last very long.  Looking at other options that are electric or fairly quiet that the kids (and me) can cruise around the yard in.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/11/20 10:31 a.m.

We bought some used MX650s over the summer and the kids love them. The original 12AH batteries were done, so I replaced them with 15AH batteries. Same output, but longer runtime. These are the ones I bought;

Mighty Max Battery 12V 15AH F2 Replaces Razor 15165070 MX650 Dirt Rocket - 3 Pack Brand Product https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N9JFSD8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_xA5wFbREYTH1C

So far we're very pleased with them - great output and runtime.  I find my kids usually get bored before the batteries die. Because the batteries are a pain to swap, to keep the kids going all day you'll have to pick up a fleet of them!

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/11/20 10:31 a.m.

Move out of the HOA is the answer here. 

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/11/20 11:28 a.m.

Saw this in a catalog somewhere. Its an electric-powered balance bike for little ones, but the battery is from a cordless drill. That means you can easily swap it out and keep riding. Cool. 

Placemotorsports
9/11/20 11:29 a.m.

In reply to dj06482 :

Good call on the 15AH batteries, espeically since it takes 6-8 hours to charge them back up

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
9/11/20 11:54 a.m.

I've seen a number of used Razor cycles and karts come up for sale but I assumed they'd be too slow to be much fun.  How big are your kids?

Placemotorsports
9/11/20 12:17 p.m.

The MX650 is good for up to 220lbs.  We have 4 kids but the 14 and 13 year olds are the riders currently.  Our 9 year old hasn't caught the riding bug yet

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
9/11/20 12:27 p.m.

Oh wow, I've only seen the smaller bikes come up for sale.  The retail price for the MX650 is a little eye opening surprise

Are there any batteries available for these that increase speed and/or acceleration?

Placemotorsports
9/11/20 12:29 p.m.

In reply to nderwater :

There are 48 volt conversion kits that get it up in the high 20s mph and lots more torque. 

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
9/11/20 12:54 p.m.

That sounds awesome.  I'm trying to justify a pit bike but the drawback is finding a place to ride.  Something neighbor-friendly that we could drive near our house would be ideal.

Placemotorsports
9/11/20 1:22 p.m.

In reply to nderwater :

These are the ticket, nice and quiet and quite fun.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/11/20 9:33 p.m.

I have a blast on ours, they top out at 17 MPH on level ground in stock form, but there are a ton of upgrade kits out there. I'm looking to raise the height and improve the suspension before adding more power.

Deals are out there in the used market, but you have to pounce. I drove 1.5 hours away to get ours, but the pair of 650s was only $300, so the trip was well worth it. 

A benefit of the Razors is that they have good parts availability, so you can rebuild them pretty reasonably. Coupled with the lack of noise that would come with a two stroke, I think they're a great option for kids and adults. The 650s weigh almost 100 lbs, so make sure the rider can handle that much machine.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
9/12/20 10:39 a.m.

How much does the 650 weigh?  How high is the saddle?  FWIW, My kids range from 3-14 in age.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CarJl9xlcKJVM2t6Hi5D9tVYwtrpGMF8I3vGEzIeeRNci6660OTQeIxfNslAxZJj