1 2 3 4
Nick (LUCAS) Comstock
Nick (LUCAS) Comstock UltimaDork
12/18/15 4:20 p.m.

In reply to minimac:

Those would be a lot simpler than making new body pieces for my bike...

octavious
octavious HalfDork
12/18/15 6:38 p.m.

32-34 this morning here and I took the Duc to work. Holy moly do I miss my heated grips.

I ordered the throttle tube today to put them back on.

Zero? Really?!?! You're freaking crazy man...

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Reader
12/21/15 11:05 p.m.
Petrolburner wrote:

Is that one of those old Honda EZ90 Cubs that looks like a jet ski on wheels?? Those things are awesome!!

I just got back from a camping trip in Death Valley on the 950...highs around 60, and a hair above freezing overnight in the valley, but most of our riding was on the trails in the passes. It was incredibly cold unless you were wrestling the bike over rocks and such. Being from Indiana, here I was expecting Death Valley to be all warm and stuff.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
12/22/15 7:27 p.m.

Had to take a child for a haircut, turned in to a quick motorcycle ride. I'm not complaining.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UltraDork
12/23/15 8:49 a.m.

50+ here today and I still am not able to twist the wrist enough to ride... Hopefully I get to go back to work soon.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
12/23/15 9:12 a.m.

Forecast is for the 70's tomorrow. Unfortunately, it's also calling for rain and thunderstorms.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
12/23/15 10:04 a.m.

I posted todays ride in the Hotlink thread.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/24/15 7:31 a.m.

I rode to work this morning. Roads were wet but the sky is clear and it should dry up.

skierd
skierd SuperDork
12/28/15 1:35 a.m.

Finally got out this weekend thanks to my brother and sister in laws coming to town. Big Ref continues to be a pig that likes to waller off trail and get stuck.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner HalfDork
12/29/15 4:13 p.m.
gearheadE30 wrote:
Petrolburner wrote:
Is that one of those old Honda EZ90 Cubs that looks like a jet ski on wheels?? Those things are awesome!! I just got back from a camping trip in Death Valley on the 950...highs around 60, and a hair above freezing overnight in the valley, but most of our riding was on the trails in the passes. It was incredibly cold unless you were wrestling the bike over rocks and such. Being from Indiana, here I was expecting Death Valley to be all warm and stuff.

Yes indeed! One rare Honda.

RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UltraDork
1/1/16 11:18 p.m.

Got out for my annual New Year's Day ride, today. Balmy 20°. Initiated the girlfriend, too. Can't ride all year, if you don't start on Jan. 1!

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
1/3/16 10:44 a.m.

The Gerbings heated jacket with heated grips rules. A 6hr ride in the mid 20s yesterday with strong winds and only my knee caps and toes suffered. It's actually uncomfortably warm if I turn it all the way up.

Off to eBay to find some electric pant liners and socks!

wae
wae Dork
1/3/16 7:37 p.m.

Went out for a fairly quick ride on the 2nd. It was sunny at 27 degrees. Those bar mitts are absolutely fantastic! If I was going to be buzzing around at highway speeds for an hour or more, I'd probably stick one of those chemical hand heaters in each mitt, but for a 15 minute buzz at about 50, they were fine.

RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UltraDork
1/3/16 9:44 p.m.

In reply to Huckleberry:

I've got electric pants. They rock. Just got electric socks for Christmas, but haven't tried them out, yet.

Had my electric jacket on, but didn't turn it on. Had the grip heaters going though.

Gotta figure out how to beef up the charging system, for my electric clothes and GF's electric clothes. Volt meter drops down to about 10.5, at stoplights, with just her jacket and gloves and my grips going.

singleslammer
singleslammer UberDork
1/4/16 9:46 a.m.

I actually went out on my KLR 250 on New Years day. It was a tad cold but for January 1 in Missouri, it wasn't bad at all. I hadn't been out in forever and was feeling the itch.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
1/4/16 12:34 p.m.

In reply to RealMiniParker:

The GSA has a pretty stout charging system. I don't have a voltmeter on the bike - but I do know that there are some people riding 2 up with full heated gear and all kinds of old time halogen lighting so I'm pretty sure I'm cool to add another 15 amp load without having to do anything drastic.

On that front - did Gerbings go out of business or something? Vendors are all dumping their stuff 50% off and no one has any stock left in actual human sizes because they aren't re-stocking inventory. I'm really SOL unless the flea market or ebay come thru.

octavious
octavious HalfDork
1/4/16 1:14 p.m.

31 on my commute in this morning. Temp dropped lower after I got to work. Flurrying now in Knoxville, which means people are loosing their minds. Should make for an interesting ride home.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
1/4/16 4:26 p.m.

I put about 350 miles on the Versys this weekend. Sure it's Florida, so it wasn't very cold.....but it was wet....very, very wet! Now I need to find a decent set of riding pants, as my legs and feet were totally drenched.

Nick (LUCAS) Comstock
Nick (LUCAS) Comstock UltimaDork
1/4/16 6:08 p.m.

In reply to octavious:

It was 30 here this morning. My ugly hand guard/wind reflectors worked very nicely. Of course it was 60 on my ride home

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
1/4/16 6:20 p.m.

It's 4F here. Should be a balmy 1F at daybreak with a nice brisk breeze blowing.

If I ride tomorrow it will be just around the block to secure my position as "that guy" among the pecking order in my neighborhood.

RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UltraDork
1/4/16 6:41 p.m.

In reply to Huckleberry:

I don't know that Gerbings has gone, or is going, out of business, but what I've found, through looking online for heated gear for my lady, is that they seem to be dropping the 12-volt/plug-in stuff, in favor of 7-volt/battery powered crap (I've read reviews of several items). Because of that, I've gotten her FirstGear stuff, and comparing her jacket to my 5yo (Harley branded) Gerbing jacket, I'm very impressed. Bonus is that it's compatible with the (HD branded) Gerbing gloves I got for her.

skierd
skierd SuperDork
1/5/16 1:14 a.m.

Check Warm and Safe for heated gear. It's owned by the guy who created the system for Gerbings, or something like that, and he gear and heat-trollers are superior. Definitely get the remote heat-troller, makes plugging in so much more convenient. I've had a gen3 and gen4 jacket and both rocked as well as their customer service.

Took the sleds out with my dad this weekend, his first time riding ever. It was a lot of fun finally being able to share my chosen sport with my dad, he's never been interested in riding.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
1/5/16 4:41 a.m.

Cool. Was looking at some of the new sleds earlier this fall, there are some tremendously nice ones out there for all kinds of categories.

octavious
octavious HalfDork
1/5/16 6:44 a.m.

25 when I left the house, 23 when I got to the office, which is 25 miles north of my house, but still.

I gotta figure out a better glove option. I'm using some low end AVG sport winter gloves, but they aren't cutting it. My palms and thumbs stay fairly warm thanks to the heated grips, but my finger tips suffer.

Anyone have windproof glove suggestions? I've heard the lobster mitts/aka Spock gloves, are good, but I've never used them and I'm not sure how I'd like not being able to move all my fingers. Due to the bend of the Monster bars, I can't see how I would mount hand guards or anything else to the bars, there is simply no room.

What's funny is that I had some old Honda XR650 hand guards that I test fit on the 73 CB500, you know what? They fit perfect. But the CB isn't up and running yet, and the heated grips are on the Monster. lol

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Dork
1/5/16 7:19 a.m.

In reply to octavious:

Heated gear > heated grips, and works on every bike you can install the $5 plug on. If that's not an option, and your current gloves are almost good enough, what about some liners under them?

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6Wh9VE5kqRX6TLceROanX3JDaYOfFfe8GArkiIjGbnt2wiNTblQxyNpwwBkIEhYB