octavious
octavious HalfDork
6/21/16 10:07 a.m.

All things being equal. Even say the same year, mileage, color, etc. And you guys know why I am looking based on the 2up thread. So which one and why?

I've read the articles and other threads on other forums, but since this is GRM...

HappyAndy
HappyAndy PowerDork
6/21/16 12:13 p.m.

Just get the nicest example of either one that you can find?

IIRC , Concourse is traditional layout & chain driven and ST1100 is longitudinal and shaft driven. Some people have strong opinions about those kinds of things, if you do, that will direct your choice, if not, see my opening statement.

I suspect that your dollar will go further with used Concourse shopping than with ST1100s, but both are good, well supported machines.

Full disclosure: I've never ridden or wrenched on an ST1100, and only have personal experience with the early Concourse from the early nineties.

SEADave
SEADave HalfDork
6/21/16 12:22 p.m.

Unfortunately I don't have first hand experience with either, wish I did. Assuming, like you say that everything is the same, I would take the Honda based on nothing but what I have heard and read. I'm also basing this on ownership of other models of Honda and Kawasaki motorcycles which leads me to believe that Honda's are put together just a tiny bit better.

But in the real world where everything isn't the same, I would take the one that appears to have been better maintained, has more (worthwhile) farkels already installed, or that is just a better price. I would take the one in the better color too.

Also, I'm pretty sure the Concours was always a shaft-drive motorcycle just like the ST.

Rodan
Rodan New Reader
6/21/16 12:37 p.m.

The best 2-up bike we've ever had is our NA Miata...

In all seriousness, between an ST1100 and an air-cooled Connie, I'd take the ST 7 days a week and twice on Sunday. I've owned 2 ST11s over the years ('91 and '97), and have ridden Connies. The Connie is basically an early 80's bike that was endlessly updated until Kawi just couldn't get away with selling an air-cooled touring bike anymore. They're a decent bike, and pretty reliable, but the attraction of the Connie was always that it was dirt cheap. There was a lot of progress in MC design in the 80's, and the ST11 is a child of the early 90's. It's an order of magnitude better than the Connie, in just about every way.

I've owned 30+ bikes in ~35 years of riding, and ST11 is honestly one of my favorite bikes. It's a great distance eater... comfy, great motor, huge tank, lots of luggage space. The biggest problem is they're getting pretty long in the tooth. The newest one you're going to find is going on 15 years old. The good news is that they're very reliable, and pretty easy to work on. I like that you can pull the cams to do a valve adjustment without removing the fairings... now that's good design!

Used ST13s are actually getting pretty affordable, and may be a better buy in the long run. It's also a fantastic bike, but I liked the ST11 better. The ST13 is about as engaging as a Honda Accord...

Gratuitous ST11 pics...

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
6/21/16 4:54 p.m.

Oh god, this is like an oil thread. I say Ducati ST or a BMW R.

singleslammer
singleslammer UberDork
6/21/16 7:19 p.m.

Yeah, I have looked at ST1300s recently and they are a lot of machine for the money. 4k seems likely to get you one. I am not sure that you will save that much on a decent concourse or st1100

akamcfly
akamcfly Dork
6/21/16 8:30 p.m.

I mull these two over also - as well as the fj1300 and Norge (oooooooh la laaaaa). I'll cut my teeth on the pc and go from there.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/21/16 10:18 p.m.

If you can find a good ST1100 (they're getting really hard to find), they're a hell of a touring bike. They're extremely well balanced once you're on the move (they feel top heavy at standstill), smooth with typical Honda reliability.

Certain maintenance items are a PITA like balancing the carbs, plus you have to keep in mind they have a timing belt that wants to be changed occasionally.

Rodan
Rodan New Reader
6/22/16 12:24 a.m.
markwemple wrote: Oh god, this is like an oil thread. I say Ducati ST or a BMW R.

Having had both (ST4S and R1100RSL), neither were as good as the ST11.

The ST4S should have been the perfect Sport-tourer, but it was one of the least satisfying bikes I've ever owned. The handling didn't live up to the expectations for the Ohlins suspension, it had numerous annoying problems, was expensive to maintain, and was the first bike in 20 years to leave me stranded on the roadside.

The R1100RSL was a great bike and ate miles almost as well as the ST11, but the transmission was pretty agricultural, parts were expensive, the rear tire is an odd size, and I never grew to like the front suspension. That said, the oilhead BMWs are great bikes, if you can put up with the BMW weirdness and pricey parts. They're easy to work on, and a good value if you can find one with lower miles.

minimac
minimac SuperDork
6/22/16 7:51 a.m.

You can't go wrong with either one. To me, it's a toss up. The ST1100 did get a reputation for its "death wobble", nothing you'd probably see, but should be aware of. The only Connies I see around here for sale are old ones. Both are as reliable as taxes. Whichever you get the best deal for yourself,would be my choice.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VMdnFaWABg2jRARB84vLBbCKa511k5FxScOSPwNh1RjaGeyh4xt9DCfyOhy4Mw0c