1 2
Appleseed
Appleseed Reader
2/26/09 12:59 a.m.

No not the game (though it does rule), I'm talking about taking a sport bike with bashed up plastic, shedding the Tupperware, bolting on some motocross bars and hooning about.

Anyone here rocking one? Every old sportbike I see these days gets hacked up in my mind. There kind of like choppers except they're not as silly.

Dig

And discus.

Example:

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
2/26/09 6:41 a.m.

Me!

23 year old bike... all the plastic cracked up by previous owners.

I like the naked look and prefer to sit up right.

But, Still want the sport bike acceleration and handling

Still need to do a little work and paint, but here she is

PHeller
PHeller Reader
2/26/09 6:59 a.m.

I think it's new street bikes trying to emulate either stunk bikes or cafe racers.

It's also away of making some of the older, really nasty looking 80/90's squared fairing bikes look half decent.

Appleseed
Appleseed Reader
2/26/09 2:42 p.m.

Is that a Ninjs 250 or 500? I've actually been lusting over this:

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
2/26/09 2:58 p.m.

same bike as you have pictured.... that one belonged to "chopper charles"

Same bike as mine, an EX500. that is the inspiration for what I'm doing to mine.

Appleseed
Appleseed Reader
2/26/09 9:35 p.m.

The only thing i would have changed on that pic would be to add a belly fairing. Like the stock ones you could get for the 500s. Very cool.

xci_ed6
xci_ed6 New Reader
2/27/09 6:31 a.m.

I have a 599, aka CB600F6/Hornet 600. Technically it is a standard, but it is similar to a fighter. I like it. The dirty bars a way wider, you get a ton of leverage, and it makes the bike more manouverable and easier to ride quick through twisties.

Photobucket

alex
alex Reader
3/3/09 12:25 a.m.

I gots one. No pics on this 'puter, though.

It's a '97 TL1000-S (the widowmaker year), with full Yosh and PC, high Renthals, chopped fender, no rear bodywork (took it off for paint, left it off), and dual Aztec8 headlights. Fortunately, it's even faster than it is ugly. An ornery beast, too. I still shake my head after a particularly hooliganish ride and wonder to myself that I haven't chucked it down the street yet...

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/3/09 12:48 a.m.

Ohh I've got one too.. Except it was manufactured that way. 2001 ZRX1200R. The best 80's bike EVER made. 85 ft-lbs at the wheel makes for a fun ride.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Reader
3/3/09 12:55 a.m.

This bike was done by one of our customers at work.

He built it while he was in Canada for a year or two. Not sure if he's back in Germany now.

http://www.streetfighter-warendorf.de/Member/index.php?V=bernd_bike&Member=Bernd

Shawn

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/3/09 11:29 a.m.

I'm not a motorcycle guy - as with karts, I keep my distance to minimize the risk of catching yet another gas-powered disease - but when the boss rolled this one into the shop I immediately wanted it. Torquey, small, low and made for just blasting around. Buell Lightning 12Scg.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
3/3/09 11:53 a.m.

Luv the Buell Lightnings. amazing ride! almost bought a XB9S

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/3/09 12:15 p.m.

The Buell dealer in Toledo was in love with my V8 Ranger and at one time offerred to trade his demo bike for it.

Long weekend thinking there.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Reader
3/6/09 11:48 p.m.

Buells look great until you see someone bigger than 5'7"/125 lbs on it. Then they look retarded, like the bike is super short.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/6/09 11:54 p.m.

I think that's what appealed to me. It looked very wieldy. Not a highway rocket, but a point-and-squirt toy.

suprf1y
suprf1y Reader
3/7/09 12:08 a.m.
93gsxturbo wrote: Buells look great until you see someone bigger than 5'7"/125 lbs on it. Then they look retarded, like the bike is super short.

Its true. I'm 5'7". They fit me just fine, and seem small compared to everything else. A nice change for me

benzbaron
benzbaron Reader
3/7/09 12:32 a.m.

The shorty wheel base makes turning very easy. Buell definitely created a different bike. A tuned up harley engine is totally bad so I wouldn't worry about the buell on the highway. My little blast will do 85mph, had it pegged yesterday.

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/7/09 12:26 p.m.
benzbaron wrote: T My little blast will do 85mph, had it pegged yesterday.

I've actually been thinking about one of those, don't know how well it will do with 200lbs of rider on it. Would be mainly used for back road commuting to work and hopefully school in the summer/fall.

Coarse out where I live, they're all back roads.

problemaddict
problemaddict Reader
3/9/09 3:05 a.m.

I'm rockin' a streetfighter as well. but i call it the JunkFighter:

Its a '95 Kawi ZX6e.

If you're into streetfighters, check out:

www.customfighters.com

Awesome forum for the North American 'fighter scene.

Also, be sure to get your ass to FIGHTER FEST. Its a streetfighter show at Carlisle Bike Fest in Carlisle, PA. July 17-19th. www.fighterfest.com

fastEddie
fastEddie Dork
3/9/09 10:50 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: No not the game (though it does rule), I'm talking about taking a sport bike with bashed up plastic, shedding the Tupperware, bolting on some motocross bars and hooning about. Anyone here rocking one? Every old sportbike I see these days gets hacked up in my mind. There kind of like choppers except they're not as silly.

I figured something like this would be more your taste.

OT - Yeah, I just watched both A and A:ExM this weekend. Too cool!

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt HalfDork
3/9/09 11:54 a.m.
Spinout007 wrote: I've actually been thinking about one of those, don't know how well it will do with 200lbs of rider on it. Would be mainly used for back road commuting to work and hopefully school in the summer/fall. Coarse out where I live, they're all back roads.

I weigh a little over 200, and this weekend I took a ride on a Blast out of curiosity. It didn't have any trouble keeping up with traffic with me on it, though it's not quite as fast as my GS500. More like a Ninja 250 but with a totally different powerband.

Sounds like your plan is pretty much exactly what the Blast was designed to do. The Blast really feels like a purpose built commuter bike. It gets astounding mileage, it's very easy to ride, but it's not quite as rev happy as other entry level sport bikes. The way it doesn't need valve adjustments or chain oiling is a definite plus, too.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
3/9/09 11:57 a.m.

85 mph is pegged out on the Buell?

wow....

Glad I bought the bike I did. also a 500cc, but I haven't found the top end on it yet. most likely won't

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 HalfDork
3/9/09 12:04 p.m.

Does this count?

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
3/9/09 12:12 p.m.

I was able to keep up with traffic on a Blast, and ATGATT I'm pushing 265 easy (at the time, I may have been heavier yet). My problem was the vibration at idle. A 650 enduro thumber isn't that bad. Smooths out nice as soon as you're underway though. It did feel a bit "toyish" under me, and I drive Miatae, so I'm used to daling with things are are designed for littler people. I'd ride one if the price was right. Not sure that I'd take it on the interstate though.

xci_ed6
xci_ed6 New Reader
3/9/09 5:49 p.m.
Grtechguy wrote: 85 mph is pegged out on the Buell? wow.... Glad I bought the bike I did. also a 500cc, but I haven't found the top end on it yet. most likely won't

With the fairing it was around 120mph, without probably 105-110. My 599 will do 130 easy, but I can hit 140 if I sit on the passenger seat, arch my back, tuck my elbows in, and have another 1/2 mile. (performed on a closed road). For comparison, the CBR600F3 will manage around 160mph.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ehzSbB9uOjopOHqBjBPLJiWKrT5qQRt5x2WsIJckhX38C3lg7ptydGZVL3ClsybZ