1 ... 4 5 6 7
Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie Dork
3/19/20 4:49 p.m.
Gunchsta said:

Ahh, what a soothing break from the other things I've been reading on the internet lately. 

Always love the threads sir. I'm not into these from an aesthetic standpoint but boy I bet it will be a great unit for your October trip. Keep up the good work! 

They're legendary for their smoothness and robustness. They just gobble up the miles and pull like a freight train. I'm hoping it lives up to the hype. I've never had a motorcycle before that is made to consume large quantities of highway. 

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie Dork
3/19/20 6:48 p.m.

I forgot to mention, I got a new supply of essentials.

The silicone grease is Honda Shin Etsu for rubber parts like seals and orings. None better. The dielectric is just a normal electrical consumable.

759NRNG
759NRNG UltraDork
3/20/20 5:51 p.m.

Once again an epic rebuild from the King in DFW.......me thinks I know the answer...but where did you score the M/C rebuild kit (amazing!!!)????. Hey, I understand the 'sound system' elimination , but the air shock system also???? would one be able to adjust fore/aft PSI's on the fly(if left intact)?...oh and big ups on the valve covers...wink

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie Dork
3/20/20 6:08 p.m.
759NRNG said:

Once again an epic rebuild from the King in DFW.......me thinks I know the answer...but where did you score the M/C rebuild kit (amazing!!!)????. Hey, I understand the 'sound system' elimination , but the air shock system also???? would one be able to adjust fore/aft PSI's on the fly(if left intact)?...oh and big ups on the valve covers...wink

I've been buying all my brake parts recently from Brake Crafters. They may be a wee bit more pricey, but their kits are 100 percent out of the box, right down to the last detail.

As far as the air suspension, it's still fully adjustable, just not on the fly as it was originally. The mid spec bikes (Goldwing Interstate) had a more simplified set it and forget it arrangement. I chose the tradeoff due to the extreme complexity of the original system. There was quite the myriad of hoses and components that went everywhere on the bike. Now it's super simple and I gained a nice tool compartment in the main trunk (fake fuel tank in front of the seat). 

Thank you for the kind words.

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie Dork
3/26/20 6:39 p.m.

I worked on the CovidCycle a bit today. It's a job I've been putting off, new fork seals.

I used my custom made 39mm fork seal installation tool.

Onward and upward...

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie Dork
3/29/20 6:01 p.m.

I finally got my hone so I could finish the front master cylinder rebuild.

The previous owner had swapped a 15 dollar Chinesium master cylinder on the bike. 

Now all brakes are complete and seem to work nicely.

New helmet ordered.

Insurance purchased.

I'm running out of excuses to ride this thing .

759NRNG
759NRNG UltraDork
3/30/20 6:04 p.m.

uh the cv19 is waiting for you just outside your grosh(insert smarta$$ response)????

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie Dork
3/30/20 8:39 p.m.

No real worries. I work EMS and have kind of come to terms with the situation.

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie Dork
3/31/20 2:22 p.m.

Today I finished the fork rebuild project. 

I had found some sort of price low point on the Progressive Suspension kit on Amazon. I use CamelCamelCamel to track all my Amazon cart price trends.  For whatever reason these went cheap for a day so I grabbed them. I also grabbed a pair of used Harley Davidson Sportster fork caps from eBay. The Sportster uses Showa forks as does the Honda so it's an easy way to source slick top fork caps. Note that Progressive has you do away with the Honda factory air setup. Rather than plugging the air line holes in the old fork caps, I chose to use the HD ones for a more slick appearance.

They're not that nice, but they were cheap and look tons better than ghetto plugging the holes in the original caps.

Replacement orings for the fork caps.

I have a crush washer fetish. I always replace them so I buy them in bulk as needed from Amazon to keep a ready supply.

Fork leg drain bolts.

All buttoned up with the Harley fork caps, Progressive springs, all new seals, orings, and crush washers. Properly filled with ATF as specified in the manual.

So now I'm done. I can't think up anything to do to it but to ride it. I have a new helmet coming via UPS tomorrow.

I'm kind of nervous. I haven't ridden in about 5 years and I have never ridden a bike this massive. What could possibly go worng ?

Now I need to figure out what to put here...

Off to Facebook marketplace to try and find something else fun to work on. Maybe a dual-sport of some sort. Or a BMW Airhead. I have been kind of wanting to build a Honda Passport for trolling my neighborhood on. Who knows.

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie Dork
3/31/20 4:57 p.m.

Should be a short little running video if I did it correctly.

EDIT>>> you have to click on the picture.

wawazat
wawazat HalfDork
3/31/20 5:08 p.m.

She looks great!  

zilla916
zilla916 New Reader
3/31/20 7:17 p.m.

Looks great! You will be surprised at how it feels to ride. Doesn't ride as big as it actually is.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/31/20 9:09 p.m.

In reply to Cousin_Eddie :

Wow, that looks incredible. If I didn't know better I'd have no idea that bike is 38-years old!

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
4/1/20 7:38 a.m.

Looks great, Eddie. 

Put the rest of the Sportster on that lift.

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie Dork
4/1/20 9:21 p.m.
zilla916 said:

Looks great! You will be surprised at how it feels to ride. Doesn't ride as big as it actually is.

You're right. I put 100 miles on it today. It's pretty confidence inspiring. It's also the first bike I've ever owned that will quickly run right up through any speed limit. 

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie Dork
4/1/20 9:21 p.m.
Pete Gossett said:

Wow, that looks incredible. If I didn't know better I'd have no idea that bike is 38-years old!

Thank you.

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie Dork
4/1/20 9:22 p.m.
Dr. Hess said:

Looks great, Eddie. 

Put the rest of the Sportster on that lift.

I built a Sportster about 15 years ago. Not sure I want to ever do the Vtwin scene again. I'm kind of drawn toward old Asian bikes.

zilla916
zilla916 New Reader
4/1/20 9:36 p.m.

That's good to hear! My Dad picked up a 1100 years ago, and I rode that a few times. I would have told you that you were nuts if I would ever have one. But I picked up a 1200, and picked up a 1800 a couple years ago. They are fun to run thru the gears. As far as i'm concerned, the 1800 only needs two speeds. Low and high. 

Looks great! I vote for an old dual sport for the next project. A dual carb RFVC XR would be ideal for me to live vicariously through you....

759NRNG
759NRNG UltraDork
4/2/20 2:00 p.m.

Excellent job!!!! when are you gonna list it on CL?

minimac
minimac UltraDork
4/6/20 9:58 a.m.

Your attention to detail really shows. Your bike looks terrific. Nice job!

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/22/20 9:41 p.m.

You have made me go down the ultrasonic cleaner rabbit hole..... Just picked up a big one today.

Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter)
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/24/20 3:18 p.m.
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) said:

You have made me go down the ultrasonic cleaner rabbit hole..... Just picked up a big one today.

You're not kidding. Damn. Mine is 3.5 gallons. I'm guessing yours is what, 7 gallons ? 10 ?

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/24/20 4:31 p.m.

In reply to Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) :

7-8 roughly. Used it today, works like a champ. 

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/24/22 1:27 p.m.
Cousin_Eddie said:

This should improve my work quality from here forward. It seems pretty robust so far.

I was trying to figure out what ultrasonic you had bought and seems like all your pics and your IG is gone. 

Do you mind sharing what brand ultrasonic cleaner you had bought? 

Thanks

1 ... 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
x6Q58RNrCR0YEVckqfuNrEroExmGcmdFXXgaDiEkSpIJhSFDlhOJWXPrclHiQmjb