Riley_88
Riley_88 New Reader
7/4/19 9:31 p.m.

I'm in the middle of buying an '07 Versys 650 and I think the first thing i'm going to do is replace the tires.  They have plenty of tread as the bike only has 9000kms on it (about 5600 miles) but the rubber is 12 years old...definitely time to replace them.  

So this bike will likely see 90% pavement and 10% dirt/gravel roads.  I care about grip on the pavement when it's wet and I want it to last for at least a few years.  Confidence when leaning it over is important too but realistically I'm not going to be dragging my knees.  Oh ya. it needs to be affordable as well!

So, with all that said...any suggestions for what tire I should be looking for?

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
7/4/19 9:36 p.m.

Michelin Pilot Road 5 or Road 4 would be a good choice. Both are long lasting tires and great in the wet.

Shinko does make very affordable tires that are pretty good. Should be able to find out what other Versys owners chose from them.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
7/5/19 7:54 a.m.

The current rear tire on my bike is an Avon Cobra.  I am happy with it.  It is wearing well and has plenty of grip.  Note that my bike is probably 2 of your bike.  Anyway, I think I'll put on on the Sportster too. 

Riley_88
Riley_88 New Reader
7/6/19 1:14 p.m.

Thanks for the feedback.  Any experience with Metzeler Road Tec 01's and Z6's?

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
7/6/19 1:22 p.m.

I've run Metzeler tires for decades  There's two on the Sportster right now, Lasertecs, and the touring tire on the front of my dresser.  I would be comfortable with anything Metzeler sold.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BwzRePubZs5TgD8LssyW6XW1E8tesdDZ8Kg5Vihh49JoPbXvgvKhfRHzx1ZuI7oZ