No Time
No Time Dork
6/11/19 3:47 p.m.

I can across what seems to be the motorcycle equivalent of Turo for cars. 

Cool for the renter, but I don’t know if I would rent out a bike to a stranger. 

Rent privately owned motorcycles

Not intended as Two wheeled paddle sports, just thought it might be of interest and maybe lead to some interesting discussion as people look at what’s available in their area. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
6/11/19 4:15 p.m.

I see myself wiping out and some biker guy beating me up.  All for under $100.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/11/19 4:16 p.m.

"Drop" off. Uh oh.

Yeah, I'd say that has "expensive problems" written all over it.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
6/11/19 4:29 p.m.

OH GOD NO

No Time
No Time Dork
6/11/19 7:19 p.m.

Seems to be a wide range of prices:

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
6/11/19 9:53 p.m.

I thought it was odd I could rent a Civic Type R on Turo.  The owner was all low key about the previous rental guy curbing one of the rims.  It would make me nuts to rent out my car to hooligans like me.  

gunner
gunner GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/12/19 8:05 p.m.

Interesting. I thought you were going to bring up twistedroad.com. I listened to a podcast on NOCO MOTO where they interviewed someone from there and it actually sounded like a great idea. You are vetted when you turn in your request to join and you must have a motorcycle license and they want you to have experience with the type of bike you are renting, like you won't get approved for a sport bike if all your experience is on a cruiser type of thing. Also that the renter can refuse to rent to you right up to the point of departure. I didn't realize there was more bike rental options out there.

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/29/21 6:29 p.m.

Bumping this old thread but it sounds like nobody has actually tried to do this on here. I tried to book an old GS500 on a trip to Denver for a long weekend a couple of years ago. $50 a day or whatever it was. Then you go to actually rent it and the insurance and fees nearly quadrupled the actual cost of the rental. If I wanted to spend $700 to ride an old Suzuki for 4 days, I'd just buy an old Suzuki and try to sell it when I leave.

Has anybody tried this in the last year or so if it has gotten any cheaper? 

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/29/21 7:51 p.m.

In reply to crankwalk (Forum Supporter) :

I tired, price doubled by the time I got all the fees and insurance. 

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/29/21 10:49 p.m.
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) said:

I tired, price doubled by the time I got all the fees and insurance. 

Yeah I don't get why they aren't transparent with it. If they were I might have still considered it maybe ...but just on principal slipping in that the cost is 2-3-4 times what is advertised is ridiculous. 

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/30/21 3:45 a.m.

Depending on the car turo is also bad about that. I have tried twisted road also and same story. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0Laus6OeTyUz2rSL9eahHD1EQCNhigOtGCsRYQOlod24ckkB1ZEecMdyhSkgquPo