doc_speeder
doc_speeder HalfDork
7/22/19 9:22 p.m.

Ever buy a vehicle with a preconceived idea of what it will be like to own, drive, etc? 

I've been disappointed in the past, buying a car or two that totally didn't measure up to my imagination. For example, my 2000 Grand Prix GTP "Daytona Pace Car edition".  Not a bad car, but totally not what it could have been if GM cared even a little bit.

My VFR isn't like that.

It's a 2008 with ABS, in a very "mature" dark grey metallic.  It's my 2nd street bike.  When I was shopping for bikes I knew I wanted something sportier than the current luxo-barge sport touring bikes, more comfortable than a "Gixxer" (ugh, I can't even type that without cringing), and somewhat scarce.  Also, reliable, and throw in a sweet exhaust note too please.

So my list was pretty short. 

Bandit 1250

VFR 800

I ended up finding a one owner low-ish km VFR locally, right across the street from my parents place actually.  I bought it in December, so obviously I couldn't even ride it right away.  Now that I've had a chance to put some seat time in, I'm totally sold.  Yeah, the VTEC is a bit weird, but the Two Bros pipe and PC5 smooth out the transition quite a bit.  I commute on it, I cruise on it, I took it on a 3 day trip through the mountains last weekend.  Basically, if the weather doesn't stink, I'm on it.

Honestly, it's all I hoped it would be.  It does need a better seat, but it's not terrible.  It's got enough power.  Not stupid power, but really it will carry the front wheel through first gear...so it's enough.  It gets decent fuel economy, it sounds amazing, and I like to think it matches up to where I am in life right now.  Mid 40's, sportier than most guys my age, but sort of mature and level headed.  I'll put up some pics shortly. 

cdeforrest
cdeforrest Reader
7/22/19 9:43 p.m.

Preach!!  Hard bags?? Someone local was selling a RWB with factory bags I had to hold myself back on. My f4i works..it's just not quite what i want but it's what i have and it'd be a pain to go thru the whole buy/sell process so I make the CBR more comfy. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/22/19 9:56 p.m.

I found my unicorn in Green Bay. 2007 VFR in anniversary red white and blue with color matched bags. Hnnnnngh. I want it bad.

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/22/19 10:16 p.m.

Cool! I bought a white sixth-gen ABS earlier this year. Mine is whichever year was the first with the revised VTEC switchover point. I love the V-4 sound and I was intrigued by its competence on the highway and the mile-eating capability. As more of a flyweight supermoto/enduro type of guy, and as someone who spends most of his miles either in the urban jungle on surface streets or on remote, bumpy, tight, twisty backroads, I'm not completely sold on it. I am following with interest though....

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
7/22/19 10:35 p.m.

I had an '04 VFR and put about 56k miles on it.  Great bike.  Not perfect.  The riding position was just a bit tight, with a distance between the pegs and seat that was a bit small for my 6'4" height.  The cooling system was overly complex with about a dozen different formed hoses and the stupid dual radiator/single fan that fights airflow when the bike is moving forward.  Two stators due to a contrived oiling system that worked great on the 5th gens but got screwed up when that version of VTEC got added.

They're great bikes.  Nice torque, sounds like a million bucks, smoooth engine.  I replaced mine with a Z900rs which fixed most of the issues I had with the Interceptor.  But there's days when I wish I had gone looking for a 5th gen VFR instead.

Justjim75
Justjim75 HalfDork
7/22/19 10:56 p.m.

You guys are killing me.  I want to at least RIDE one.

cdeforrest
cdeforrest Reader
7/22/19 11:17 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

You have my approval. :D

There's a reason they just keep making those bikes. 

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/22/19 11:22 p.m.
jfryjfry
jfryjfry Dork
7/23/19 2:27 a.m.

The gear-driven cammed v4’s of the 86-89 vfr 700/750’s sound incredible. 

doc_speeder
doc_speeder HalfDork
7/23/19 8:15 a.m.
cdeforrest said:

Preach!!  Hard bags?? Someone local was selling a RWB with factory bags I had to hold myself back on. My f4i works..it's just not quite what i want but it's what i have and it'd be a pain to go thru the whole buy/sell process so I make the CBR more comfy. 

Sadly, no bags.  Original owner didn't buy them.  I'm looking for OEM racks/bags but not having any luck

EuniceOlin
EuniceOlin New Spammer
7/24/19 12:29 p.m.

This post has received too many downvotes to be displayed.

Nugi
Nugi Reader
8/26/19 1:36 p.m.

Oh god. I have one of these in boxes in my garage. 800cc of glorious gear driven cam whine. The vtec got some power, but lost the gear driven cams of the 98-01 vfr800fi. 

If anyone needs parts, or a basketcase, let me know. It ran fine when I tore it down. I might just buy another. It is still my favorite bike to cover ground on. 

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
8/28/19 6:49 p.m.

$3k for this on CL in Va.

Yes I save stuff I can't afford. cheeky

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
8/28/19 7:11 p.m.

I love my 5th gen to death. It is ratty as berk and needs some work, but when I start it up . . . Hnnnnnnnnnnggggg

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
8/28/19 7:35 p.m.

Crossed paths with a 5th gen VFR today in traffic.  Had some kind of non-stock exhaust.  Sounded the business.

I'm having wind issues that are making my Z900rs not so fun on the highway.  I don't want to change bikes without trying to find solutions to that, but if I decide it isn't for me, I'm probably looking for a clean 5th gen VFR.  

rwdsport
rwdsport Reader
10/11/19 1:38 p.m.

In reply to ae86andkp61 :

Have you tried a Duke 690? Riot of a bike: 350lb wet and torquey. Great in the city, untouchable in low/medium speed twisties, not too fun on the highway with a comfy/upright position and little protection from wind.

DavidHide
DavidHide New Spammer
12/24/19 11:59 p.m.
EuniceOlin said:

I REALLY IN LOVE WITH THESE BIKES!! I recommend you to do market research or order it here  [replacement canoe] because it's safe. You’re doing yourself a great disservice if you pursue an occupation that irritates you or causes you undue stress.  Make sure to leave room in your budget for essentials, like a helmet, lights, and a lock. 

I absolutely think in the same way, an amazing bike, I just love it!  [we should canoe together again!]

Denis123
Denis123 New Spammer
12/31/19 8:08 a.m.

I feel like getting one but I think there are too expensive. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oSrbGRpdMMdMlwYx9w0uhErxGF9mVk8U790UghP6sZSfN2u7JjEcsqC8BTXubcmi