gordenbro1
gordenbro1
3/12/20 6:52 a.m.

With all of the (mostly unsolicited) advice we get from our families, friends, and co-workers about how dangerous motorcycles are, I'm wondering if bicyclists get the same level of scrutiny. Which had me thinking, which is really safer, by the numbers, bicycles or motorcycles? Thoughts? Are there any surveys or stats comparing the two?

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
3/12/20 7:08 a.m.

I'm not sure how you could make a valid comparison between the two, since they're used under such different circumstances.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/12/20 8:38 a.m.

In reply to gordenbro1 :

Not exactly apples-to-apples, but per the NHTSA there were 857 fatal bicycle wrecks with a motor vehicle in 2018, vs. 5,172 motorcyclists in 2017, also per the NHTSA. Of course I'd bet there were far more miles traveled on motorcycles vs. bicycles, so if you can find those stats it may reverse those numbers. 

I'm not sure you could find accurate numbers for off-road fatalities, but my hunch is that motorcycles would have the higher numbers due to their increased weight & speed vs. bicycles. 

Caprigrip
Caprigrip New Reader
3/13/20 9:23 a.m.

Bicycle is able to ride off the main road (sidewalks etc although I know some cities frown on that practice).  So for that fact alone, I say bicycle is safer.   

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/17/20 4:06 p.m.

I'm a road cyclist and have been for years. I just started riding a motorcycle last year. I'm sure it's really hard to compare the stats, because of the type of people who choose to ride motos vs bicycles. Young thrill-seekers vs folks focused on fitness, but that's just speculation.

I do know that a lot of the skills required to stay alive are shared by both. No one sees on either one. No one respects you on either one. You sit equally high on both. You feel equally exposed on both. The same strategies for anticipating risks apply equally to both. I was blown away by how similar they were.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
3/18/20 4:08 a.m.

Nicky Hayden, 2006 motogp world champion,  died riding a bicycle  in Europe.  Rather ironic.

swintyulna
swintyulna New Reader
3/24/20 12:26 p.m.

I am not really sure but I have heard more fatal stories with motorcyle. :(

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dWFTvwFOmxk5KDLQILlmwYtOxi4C7Khbs68BAntneIzqzba0Vg5qUlUfelGXbsEc