Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/24/14 7:32 p.m.

Though it pains me to type "learn me" I did so to make this more easily searchable for those in the know.

So I've seen some of these online and realize that they can make good rides for any sort of off-road duties I'm likely to throw at them for a fairly low entry cost. I currently have no intention of buying one (I have an Xterra project) but that could change.

Looking through some older threads, it seems that the 2002-2003 GV are the latest models with the manual case.

Is the same year Chevy Tracker the same car? Wikipedia seems to indicate that it is.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/24/14 7:37 p.m.

I'm not very knoledgable about the Vitaras, but go here:

http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/

Then go to the IFS section. These guys pretty much know anything you need.

I was a title short of buying a 4dr tracker a couple of months ago for $500. Kind of pissed me off because I really wanted that thing.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
7/24/14 8:36 p.m.

Most trackers are 4cyl Vitaras with the narrower track. I do believe the V6 made it into them by 2003 but I could be wrong. They're a great chassis for a good off-roader or winter vehicle. I will say that ours is one of ghe few vehicles I wish I'd never let go.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/24/14 10:12 p.m.

I have a '99 2-door non-Grand Vitara. I've only owned it a few months & not yet had it off road, but I did a bunch of research when I first got mine and found out some things.

First, the front differential housing can wear out over time. There's a ~$300 kit to prevent it(and repair it if the damage isn't too far gone). Even then, it doesn't seem like drivetrain components handle severe & continuous off-road abuse, but general trail driving seems to be ok.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
7/25/14 7:39 a.m.

The rear diffs had issues because people can't read the owners manuals. the break in fluid was required to be changed at 15k miles. At 60k the stuff has done ate the bearings.we put over 90k on ours after it spent the first 9k as a rental.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/25/14 7:46 a.m.

I had a 4-Door Sidekick JX and I loved it. Wish I had kept it. Surprisingly capable off-road even stock.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
7/25/14 8:08 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: I had a 4-Door Sidekick JX and I loved it. Wish I had kept it. Surprisingly capable off-road even stock.

agreed. Great articulation and fantastic approach angles (and decent departure angles with the 1/4" plate covering the tank) made it easy to get into and out of places many couldn't/wouldn't.

Crappy pics... but you get the idea. Bone stock on Kumho 716 Solus tires and it would go anywhere in 4wd.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/8/15 3:43 p.m.

Bump from the past. Grand Vitaras seem to be holding their value fairly well, but the Chevy Trackers (which are mostly 4 bangers) cam be had for 1/3 the price.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
7/8/15 4:50 p.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: Bump from the past. Grand Vitaras seem to be holding their value fairly well, but the Chevy Trackers (which are mostly 4 bangers) cam be had for 1/3 the price.

Yeah, wife and I had been thinking about picking one up as a winter beater. Throw on some 225/70/15 mud tires and be done.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/8/15 9:33 p.m.

Picking up a very cheap but running 4x4 4 door Tracker to use as a fishing/beach vehicle has been really tempting me. I'm sure it will fade once my Xterra is operational.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
7/12/15 7:37 a.m.

I personally like the dimensions of the extended version, the XL-7.

They offered this version in a manual trans but I think that required 2wd only.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/12/15 9:19 a.m.

In reply to JohnRW1621:

I agree, but mileage seems to really take a hit with these vs. the smaller/lighter versions with the 4-cyl.

ShadowSix
ShadowSix Dork
7/12/15 10:19 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote:
Brett_Murphy wrote: Bump from the past. Grand Vitaras seem to be holding their value fairly well, but the Chevy Trackers (which are mostly 4 bangers) cam be had for 1/3 the price.
Yeah, wife and I had been thinking about picking one up as a winter beater. Throw on some 225/70/15 mud tires and be done.

Not to thread jack, but why mud tires if you're buying it for winter use? Why not winter tires?

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
7/13/15 4:00 p.m.
ShadowSix wrote:
Bobzilla wrote:
Not to thread jack, but why mud tires if you're buying it for winter use? Why not winter tires?

Because it wouldn't ONLY be a winter beater, if you know what I mean.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/13/15 7:31 p.m.

In reply to JohnRW1621:

iirc you could get a 5 speed 4x4 xl-7 with the 3rd row seating

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
w2kQF2xWbhZY69cdykn0uRct0gCZunGrkS7WzJhBrduLauWhanZkfGwEzMez5dWP