1 2
chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UltraDork
11/8/15 7:19 a.m.

For some reason the tailight wiring is different so I needed to run down and snag my old taillights off the old bed to work on the harness. Maybe this afternoon I will get on that. While in the other barn I saw this:  photo 08913662-EF3C-4471-8180-FF9D302699FF_zps0jx0lbcp.jpg My wife's family farm bought this new and my father inlaw restored it twenty years ago. It is incredible! My bed is on the gooseneck the left. I need to pull the trim off my old bed because it is slightly different, low model to high model I suppose. All this stuff is NLA from dodge.

tpwalsh
tpwalsh HalfDork
11/8/15 5:59 p.m.

crackbox?

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UltraDork
11/8/15 6:05 p.m.

Crackerbox, the other sounds a little shady lol.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UltraDork
11/10/15 5:11 p.m.

So, wiring is all taken care of. Drove it a bit. The "new" bumper that came with the bed had the hitch area torched out so I cut The rivets out of my old one and started cleaning it up, I will combine the two to make one complete and decent bumper. I also managed to break the plastic filler piece where the gas tank filler tube meets the fender, I visited two yards and neither had one in good shape. Mother Mopar has one for $166 ( that's right) so I will glue mine back together possibly haha.

On my test drive I had a decent vibration in the front end which wasn't there before so I'll have to start looking up there. Woot...

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UberDork
10/30/16 2:34 p.m.

A year ago I noted that I had a wicked vibration in the front end. I drove it that way til September (by drive we are talking 500 miles total probably). I found a broken disconnect axle; while it was apart it got everything new on the front end. Back on the road now.

photo BA73F46E-0C24-4D56-B673-92748DB5DCA2_zpsqkb0lwbd.jpg

And there was great rejoicing..... yay.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UberDork
11/19/16 7:17 a.m.

My brother called me on Monday and said "there is a free Highline VR6 in Cleveland, you want to Go get it?", so I pulled out the free tow dolly that I've never used and got it in shape (wheel bearings) and what not and made sure the straps worked then put my harbor freight magnetic lights on it. So, old beater truck, free tow dolly on our way 200 miles to get an unknown free car; nothing can go wrong here.

Actually nothing did; I found that I really need to put an exhaust on the truck and I should put lights on the dolly but otherwise all went well untill we picked Up the car that was a "highline" (once) and was on four flat tires sunk into the ground. No worries, we brought a compressor! Oh, the battery is dead. So we jerked it out of the ground and I backed the dolly under it then we drove twelve miles looking for a place to air it up.  photo F67A924D-810C-4233-B67F-85074F485582_zpssmongaxv.jpg Sorry, no pics of the whole rig since I really needed to use the restroom and so we loaded it and went. It's a complete rotbox but it was free and will sacrifice patch panels, interior and wiring harness.

No drama, oddly there were lots of thumbs up from people around us on the interstate as we came home at 75mph.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UberDork
11/22/16 7:04 a.m.

My brother decided since that golf was free he may as well use it so he found a "freshly rebuilt" VR6 and 6spd which he traded his Floval Flyer and $20 for. I put "freshly rebuilt" in quotation marks because; well, what engine found behind a shed under tarps isn't "freshly rebuilt". Last night we went and got that then he took the truck home, he lives 55 miles away from me. Cool thing is he left me his SRT8 300c while he has the truck....ooooo.

His shop is next to an exhaust shop so he is going to take it over and get a price on a cheapy pipe. That will be nice!

In other news I sold my Ramcharger, so after paying a stack or three on the house I have a bit left over to play with on the truck.

photo 822FCCCF-2B8A-4874-B1F9-EAEB239514D0_zpskapeenb1.jpg Bye!

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UberDork
12/1/16 6:17 p.m.

Crap.

photo 0FC23ECF-9FC3-4F01-A20D-C9E2E8F238D0_zpshtckuwsx.jpg

Came Out of work to a clean fresh afternoon; but, no fuel.

Fuel pump is not working, replaced last year. It has a lifetime warranty but of course I filled the tank this morning. So the bed will come back off, maybe I will undercoat it and fix the one rust spot while it is off.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Reader
12/2/16 10:37 a.m.

Wiring, relay, etc all okay??

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UberDork
12/2/16 10:56 a.m.

Power is good at the pump so yeah.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UberDork
12/5/16 12:07 p.m.

Thanks for the assist!

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
12/5/16 12:17 p.m.

In reply to chandlerGTi:

Happy to help. Cool truck!

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UberDork
12/8/16 6:07 p.m.

Freaking cold day but I had to blow some vacation days and today was one of them. Quickly disassembled the fasteners; 6 bolts, 2 plugs and four screws in the fuel neck filler panel. Threw together a 2x4 lifting rig and with a bit of help from my wife had the bed off onto sawhorses.

photo 6B7B95FA-6AB5-4656-87EF-63CF84221458_zpsizsk08gp.jpg

Installed the new pump and it cranked once then fired right up. Good deal! But; the gas gauge went from full to empty and no amount of putzing with the sender would get it to work. Another new pump coming tomorrow so I try again. Supposed to get over 30 tomorrow and no wind so I've got that going for me.

If you are wondering if this lifting rig works well it does, I had to put the right side on a jack stand with no tire to get the hoist under far enough. It needs a lot of ballast to even it out; I could use longer front to back beams but I used all cut offs and I did'nt have any long enough.

While it was off I also replaced all the rubber around the filler neck, I thought I did this last time but it was very deteriorated. The plastic neck filler panel was broken when I took it apart again, it was a bear to find last time so I think I'll glue it for now.

chandler
chandler PowerDork
11/23/19 9:58 a.m.

Wow, I never finished this thread. I  "finished" it to the point where I had no problem jumping in and going anywhere I wanted and just drove it as needed. Towed a lot of cars buuuttt; my company gave me a new company truck and it made this poor thing superfluous. I tried to sell it but really it has a pretty small target audience. There was a kid came looked at it a couple times but he didn't have the money I was looking for out of it. So I discussed giving it to him with my wife and she was cool with it so that's what I did. I expected to hear from him it never did so I don't know why happened to it. It's been gone well over a year now.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/23/19 10:17 a.m.

In reply to chandler :

Cool that you were in a position to just give it away, but kinda lame that the kid never kept you updated.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nA7IGL80TVmCqaD0rYHrXKEZUnUGwdtFI81H090roY6ZacPQRoA4hsVkgzw0vMmJ