mtn UltimaDork
Oct. 22, 2014 7:59 a.m.

If I'm spending that money, I can afford to maintain anything. So I'm going with the G55. X5 is just too... pedestrian? Not the right word, but an X5 is pretty common.

DaveEstey PowerDork
Oct. 22, 2014 8:46 a.m.

Neither. Blech

HiTempguy UberDork
Oct. 22, 2014 8:56 a.m.

G-wagon, because its a god damn g-wagon and that is how the ballers roll :p

Actually, neither as well for me. X6M, now you have my attention. Or porsche cayenne... Or toureg diesel.

mad_machine MegaDork
Oct. 22, 2014 9:10 a.m.

somebody around here has a factory supercharged Range Rover that is the absolutely tits.. but if I had to choose between those two.. I would take the BMW, but only because I have been in one and it was impressive. Never touched the AMG, so I do not know what to expect, but I imagine it is just as special

Duke UltimaDork
Oct. 22, 2014 9:11 a.m.

A G-wagen's sole purpose in life is to demonstrate that the owner is rich enough to be that stupid. Whether the vehicle has actual capability or not is irrelevant; it will never be used. An overpriced image vehicle of the most idiotic sort. It's the "country estate" version of the metrosexual Range Rover Evoq - an ostentatious fashion accessory for the tweed-and-dogs crowd instead of the pretentious urbanites. Or, with some horrific cosmetic surgery, for ballers. I admit to pretty much hating Mercedes, though.

Out of the two, I'd rather have the BMW. But that isn't saying much.

bgkast SuperDork
Oct. 22, 2014 9:14 a.m.

In reply to Duke:

Incorrect

Duke UltimaDork
Oct. 22, 2014 9:18 a.m.

In reply to bgkast:

No, correct. Please read original statement below.

Duke wrote: Whether the vehicle has actual capability or not is irrelevant; it will never be used.
Wally MegaDork
Oct. 22, 2014 9:33 a.m.

Another vote for the G-wagen.

HappyAndy UltraDork
Oct. 22, 2014 9:35 a.m.

If the question is Buck$-up Baller-style go-fast SUV that won't make your mechanic or parts supplier wealthy, The answer is Infinity FX45.

Edit: If you're actually planning to go 'wheeling then the G Wagon is an acceptable answer, just be prepared to cry when you find out how much it cost to fix it when it breaks.

Rusted_Busted_Spit UltraDork
Oct. 22, 2014 9:37 a.m.

G-wagon hands down. It would be stupid fun to take one wheelin.

Woody MegaDork
Oct. 22, 2014 10:07 a.m.

Having been on the Autobahn in a G-Wagen, I can say that it's capabilities are quite high. Even so, I would choose the BMW.

Cotton UltraDork
Oct. 22, 2014 10:11 a.m.
Duke wrote: In reply to bgkast: No, correct. Please read original statement below.
Duke wrote: Whether the vehicle has actual capability or not is irrelevant; it will never be used.

Pics of them being used https://www.google.com/search?q=g+wagon+expedition&safe=active&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=625&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=DclHVKWoIu-QsQS_r4A4&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

Powar SuperDork
Oct. 22, 2014 10:21 a.m.

I'll take the Geländewagen, please.

mad_machine MegaDork
Oct. 22, 2014 10:23 a.m.

Gwagons are good enough for the Canadian Military

Ian F UltimaDork
Oct. 22, 2014 10:29 a.m.

Having followed a couple of X5M's around the area during my commute, I'm voting for that. I'm a sucker for steamroller rear tires... and I like the more subdued "q-ship" appearance of the BMW.

Oddly enough, of the 3 "super SUV's" mentioned, the Land Rover is the one I see most around here, followed by the G-wagon (AMG versions mostly - I guess when you can afford one of those, you don't buy the "cheap" version) and then the BMW (of course, non-M versions are like ants around here - so I take notice when I see an M).

Klayfish UltraDork
Oct. 22, 2014 10:32 a.m.

You said price doesn't matter. Then get 'em both, 'cause one of them...possibly both...is going to be in the shop for repairs at any given time. You don't want to be left without a way to style-n-profile.

dyintorace UberDork
Oct. 22, 2014 11:14 a.m.

A buddy had an X5M that was seriously upgraded. Dyno'd at ~850 at the wheels. It was truly scary fast. Sounded insane too.

Duke UltimaDork
Oct. 22, 2014 11:24 a.m.
Cotton wrote:
Duke wrote: In reply to bgkast: No, correct. Please read original statement below.

Pics of them being used https://www.google.com/search?q=g+wagon+expedition&safe=active&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=625&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=DclHVKWoIu-QsQS_r4A4&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

Those users are absolutely no more typical than this kind:

Cotton UltraDork
Oct. 22, 2014 11:57 a.m.
Duke wrote:
Cotton wrote:

Those users are absolutely no more typical than this kind:

Oh I agree 100%. As a matter of fact I'd say the pictures I referenced are much less typical. I just don't agree with your statement of them "never being used".

Anyway, I'd go with the G-Wagon. Always liked the design.

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

You Need This: E39-Chassis BMW M5 for $6000?

12 hours ago in News

Buy one of our favorite Q-ships.

Grassroots Motorsports LIVE! on Wednesday, August 23: Building a Homemade Sim Rig

17 hours ago in News

We’re taking our sim-racing game to another level.

That's What i Like: What Attracts Us to Specific Cars?

18 hours ago in Articles

I just spent 10 days in one of my new favorite cars: the 2017 VW GTE.

Your Projects: Wide-Body, V8-Powered Porsche 944

1 day ago in News

Wing, flares, V8 swap and more!

You Need This: Eclipse!

1 day ago in News

Today's special.

Your Projects: Boosted and Flared E30 BMW

1 day ago in News

Another forum member put it best: “This build is absolutely mental. And I mean that in the best possible way.”

You Need This: 1990 Suzuki Carry 4WD Mini-Truck

1 day ago in News

It looks cool, matches our cargo shorts, and makes little sense.

Concours d’Lemons: Showcasing the Best of the Worst and the Worst of the Best

1 day ago in Articles

This year’s Concours d’Lemons celebrated two cars rarely associated with the glitz and glamor of Monterey.

You Need This: Gullwing Doors and Exotic Styling for Just $1500

1 day ago in News

Meet some brown ’70s awesomeness.

Acura Unveils New Prototype Race Car in Monterey

3 days ago in News

Acura yesterday unveiled the new Acura ARX-05 prototype race car.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
Vj8DVj45IuuiQzy4A87CjZh4vnK9Knu0