JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
2/12/11 2:58 p.m.

OK, everybody knows that you guys are the world's biggest bunch of enablers. You and I both understand that, "talk me out of it" is code for "Why should I do this?" With that in mind....

I've been working on my Datsun replica for a few years. It was originally supposed to be a challenge vehicle, but there's no way I could finish it the way I want and be on budget.

Recently, though, I've been toying with the idea of entering it in an unfinished form, and then redoing it later in the manner I really want. (i.e. sort of like the Misfit Toys Wartburg.) My car would be in the 'specials' category, anyway, and that means I don't need functional lights, horn, turn signals, etc. Specials don't need windshields, either. They usually have gutted interiors, too. All those things save money, and might make it possible to finish under budget.

OK, if the budget is not an issue, then time becomes one: If I did try to enter, the car would be there in a rough and rather ugly form. There's no way I could fabricate the rest of the body, get the engine running, and prep and paint it.

Should I register for the $2011 challenge, knowing in advance that my ability to finish a car in that time is questionable? "Talk me out of it"

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
2/12/11 3:09 p.m.

See you in Gainesville

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
2/12/11 3:29 p.m.

I'm confused by the question.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
2/12/11 3:42 p.m.

You're in Orlando and you're expecting US to talk you out of it? I'm confused.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
2/12/11 3:45 p.m.
SVreX wrote: You're in Orlando and you're expecting US to talk you out of it? I'm confused.

I drove 1200 miles just to blow it up in the parking lot, still I would do it again.

So what's your question?

oldtin
oldtin Dork
2/12/11 3:54 p.m.

You already have an engine mounted on a chassis with suspension. What's left - a few wires, a seat, exhaust and a steering wheel. See ya there.

Wally
Wally SuperDork
2/12/11 4:01 p.m.

Datsun Speedster conversion? It was good enough for countless T's

http://mysite.verizon.net/oldfords/redpet.html

wheels777
wheels777 Dork
2/12/11 4:05 p.m.

I had my appendix out days before...open cut! Had the stitches removed in the morning and jumped in the truck and drove 1000 miles to get there and you are looking for me to say don't go.....ahh.....yaaa....okayyyyy....you don't like to have fun do you?

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
2/12/11 4:40 p.m.
There's no way I could fabricate the rest of the body, get the engine running, and prep and paint it.

NOT WITH THAT ATTITUDE!!! "If you will it, it is no dream, dude."

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
2/12/11 4:42 p.m.
SVreX wrote: You're in Orlando and you're expecting US to talk you out of it?

South of Orlando.....almost as close to Sebring. That's not the important part, obviously.

My doubts about this are because I'm not sure I'll be able to get it completed in time. Basically, you guys have skills. You know how to do stuff. I'm a former IT nerd who's masquerading as a car guy....my automotive background is non-existent, and whatever I need to do needs to be learned from scratch.

wheels777 wrote: I had my appendix out days before...open cut! Had the stitches removed in the morning and jumped in the truck and drove 1000 miles to get there

Yeah, I forgot about that. (You mentioned that when I talked to you earlier about datsun engine parts....I was worried about saying/buying the wrong thing, which is why I didn't call back. )

I can tell, though, that the basic feeling here is, "This is do-able. Stop whining and get out to the garage." I suppose that's where I'm headed now.

You guys are a bad influence.

oldtin
oldtin Dork
2/12/11 4:53 p.m.

The fast way to learn it is to do it. Look at the speedster photo - everything behind the firewall is mounted on a plank bolted to the frame. For that matter, the firewall looks like plywood. How hard could it be?

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
2/12/11 6:37 p.m.
oldtin wrote: How hard could it be?

Yeah, that phrase - and the history behind it - is what I'm afraid of.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese Dork
2/12/11 7:55 p.m.

I'm in no position to talk you out of a Challenge build. I'm doing one this year, trying to build a $1000 car. Looking to add boost, and I don't have any knowledge of turbo at all. I'm getting in so far over my head, but that's how I learn.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette Dork
2/12/11 8:02 p.m.
wheels777 wrote: I had my appendix out days before...open cut! Had the stitches removed in the morning and jumped in the truck and drove 1000 miles to get there and you are looking for me to say don't go.....ahh.....yaaa....okayyyyy....you don't like to have fun do you?

And he brought an extra set of seat belts when my OE failed !

and then went to celebrate this basketball game !

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/Idaho-State-player-s-foul-shot-gets-stuck-on-fro?urn=ncaab-299889

watch vid

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Reader
2/12/11 8:27 p.m.

You could also put out a call for help, see if some GRMers in the area would be willing to assist?

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
2/12/11 8:29 p.m.

Not a bad idea....there are plenty of knowledgeable people in the area, both GRM and MSCC....

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard SonDork
2/12/11 9:42 p.m.
aussiesmg wrote: See you in Gainesville
JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
2/12/11 10:24 p.m.

The best motivator to get the project moving forward and get the work done is a hard deadline. Sign up and kiss your nights and weekends goodbye ;)

fornetti14
fornetti14 HalfDork
2/13/11 8:09 a.m.

There are always competitors with half finished projects the night before the event.
If I lived near Florida I'd buy $500 beaters and show up every year.

You can do it.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard SonDork
2/13/11 5:41 p.m.

We started project Mo'-Spit today. See you in October...

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
2/20/11 9:36 a.m.

OK, what's up with the registration page? I tried registering twice last weekend, and once this weekend. All times have given me a 404 (i.e. "Just hit it with a hammer...") Are you guys registering via snail mail with this form? If so, where do you get the "Challenge Vehicle Information Sheet" referenced at the bottom of the form?

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
2/23/11 10:40 a.m.

In reply to JoeyM:

Email sent; there is no online entry for the Challenge.

The vehicle information form is being updated, but will be available on the event page long before the registration deadline of September 1st.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
2/23/11 7:32 p.m.

Thanks. Sorry for the confusion.

Our Preferred Partners
Rtr917jmf3WlstS1XGAJhH5qh6ZBPksPRm5Jxrlaf8XUhdQFB2rBY2Hp1KIfw5Fv