patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/24/15 7:07 p.m.

anyone have experience with the equinox or same platform gm small suv? my wife is considering one with the end of year deals on '15 models, and letting me do as i please with the 9-7x(ls2 build anyone?).

we're just kicking it around right now, but it would be nice for her to have something brand new with warranty that i don't have to fix issues associated with higher mile vehicles.

the sacrifice i would make is one of my toys, but i've been debating that anyway.

The_Jed
The_Jed UberDork
11/24/15 7:10 p.m.

The inlaws have one, the interior is E36 M3.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
11/24/15 7:27 p.m.

My Chevrolet, American Airlines mechanic buddy considered it and hated the CVT tranny. He bought the Ford Edge.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/25/15 10:04 a.m.

i've seen cvt's and 6 speed autos. would not cvt. interior quality is relative, i've been driving gm all my life

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
11/25/15 10:57 a.m.

We have a VUE that is the same platform. What makes it ok is it was cheap. If it were new or expensive, I would run.

If it uses a BCM like the VUE, I'd run.

Beware the stock springs/shocks might feel like you are driving a wet noodle. Not "This doesn't feel sporty." More like "This makes me feel unsafe and/or ill."

Its entirely possible that the '15 is a completely different experience on this platform... but I've got a bad taste in my mouth already.

92dxman
92dxman Dork
11/25/15 4:05 p.m.

I've rode in one before. It seems like an okay appliance. Looks roomy and the seats are comfortable. What about a GMC Terrain?

Sonic
Sonic SuperDork
11/25/15 5:17 p.m.

Trans issues to be wary of. Relative had one go very badly just out of warranty.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/25/15 5:47 p.m.

They are basically just an updated Vue. I'd run away like my E36 M3 was on fire...

TLNXTYM
TLNXTYM New Reader
11/26/15 9:53 a.m.

We had an 08 Pontiac Torrent V6 that we liked except for the front pillar blindspots that you could lose a semi in...trailer and all. We drove a base 4cyl Equinox recently. Hated it. Noisy. Felt bigger but much less cargo area than the 08. And even more blind spots. We bought a Jeep Patriot. Its like driving a greenhouse with its visibility.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
11/26/15 11:39 a.m.

The 2015 Autumn Equinox was September 23rd.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/27/15 10:10 a.m.

My mother has a 2012, should be the same car, and hasn't had any issues. Its a V6 6spd LTZ AWD. It's got 60k on it now. The Terrain may have better rear visibility.

Lesley
Lesley PowerDork
11/27/15 2:12 p.m.

I'm driving one right now. See - my job ain't all berkeleying p-cars and roses.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter PowerDork
7/27/16 2:30 p.m.

Resurrecting the thread just to say I've got an Equinox turdbucket as a rental, and it's a damn disgrace. There is literally nothing this thing does competently, let alone well. If this is the "new GM", we should have let them go under. Actually, if this thing is any indication, they're completely bankrupt in every sense of the word. They just may not know it yet.

No sir, I don't like it.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/27/16 2:37 p.m.

I drove one from Eau Claire Wisconsin to Chicago. 4 cylinder. Decent stereo. Appliance all the way through. Held 90 fairly well. Engine was working way too hard to pass though.

NickD
NickD Dork
7/27/16 3:54 p.m.

I'm a GM technician and these things are the biggest piles of junk. The 2.4L has engine issues like you wouldn't believe.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/27/16 5:58 p.m.

Mom's 2012 V6 6speed AWD is pushing 70k, no issues outside of maintaince and a set of tires.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/27/16 7:53 p.m.
Tim Baxter wrote: Resurrecting the thread just to say I've got an Equinox turdbucket as a rental, and it's a damn disgrace. There is literally nothing this thing does competently, let alone well. If this is the "new GM", we should have let them go under. Actually, if this thing is any indication, they're completely bankrupt in every sense of the word. They just may not know it yet. No sir, I don't like it.

Ended up putting a low mile engine inthe 9-7x instead of taking another car payment. Wife is happy, the snaab was 47k new, has all the toys, 300hp, and no rust.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/28/16 10:52 a.m.

I thought that this was going to be about the Mount Equinox Hillclimb. I also forgot that it is now 2016.

Kramer
Kramer Dork
7/28/16 2:34 p.m.

Our 2012 LTZ has over 105,000 mostly trouble free miles. Decent V6, leather seats. Not too much room, thought. Kinda wish we got a Traverse, but this was cheaper. Okay mom car. Not a sports car, not an SUV, not a truck. Just a reliable, decent car.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/28/16 2:45 p.m.

Went to lunch in my coworker's Equinox today and didn't find it to be terribly offensive.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2ZTOT9bteP6Wr3vTzw4CeNS6k18MfNyLfGlJMTa9EvKcvaNTTnUvPTL53NBCNGlq