1 ... 13 14 15 16 17
golfduke
golfduke HalfDork
1/3/17 10:24 a.m.

"On vehicle for Delivery today"

Ashyukun
Ashyukun GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/3/17 3:10 p.m.

So, after having very little time to myself or to do anything I wanted to over the holidays and then being sick for the last few days, I actually have some time to post about my GRM Santa package... from work.

My box was waiting at the post office with the rest of the hold mail from when I had been gone over Christmas to the Great White North, otherwise known as SWMBO's family's place. I had to pretty much literally laugh out loud when I saw the return address as I recognized it immediately as being wae- one of the closest GRMers to me and one of the ones who probably knows me better than most after spending several Challenges together.

The box was packed pretty nice and full.

First out of the box:

-A vial with clay from a 2016 Grand Prix?

-A bottle of Black Again (will be useful when it's time to detail the DMC when I'm done with the work on it)

-A bundle of part tags- I'm pretty stoked about this one actually since they will hopefully make keeping track of parts on the DMC work easier

-A packet of gum (SWMBO will likely steal this...)

-A Bengals drink coozie (not a big surprise given wae's location)

-And a rear view mirror of indeterminate origin

Continuing on...

-Several stickers, including a GRM sticker, several Jeg's stickers, and a packet of Star Wars Episode 1 Jar Jar Binks stickers that will likely get burned the next time I got camping

-A HFT Multimeter (can't ever have enough of these)

-A HFT flashlight (had to grin at this one since IIRC I sent one in my box)

-What I'm assuming is a collapsible water bottle, but that several of SWMBO's friends who were visiting for New Years said should really be used for booze

-Several keychains, including a very cool functioning Etch-a-Sketch keychain

And finally-

-A tin of Muffler Weld that looks like it may be as old as I am

-A Western Ohio SCCA patch

-A Haynes manual for late-80's Acuras which will get added to my growing collection of random repair manuals (mostly of cars I've owned)

-And what is as best as I can tell a home-3D-printed DeLorean keychain/mirror hanger. This one is very, very cool and deserved a photo all its own:

Definitely some really cool and fun stuff- Thanks wae>/b>!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/3/17 3:28 p.m.

Bill, your box is on its way. Thanks again for hosting this.

Jumper K. Balls
Jumper K. Balls UberDork
1/3/17 9:41 p.m.

Alright! I came home from an after work happy hour pint and had a package waiting for me!

photo P_20170103_185954_zpsjrolo9k7.jpg

Lets crack this baby open and see what GRM bestoweth upon me.

hot dang! That's a lot of stuff.

photo P_20170103_191340_zpspc5jsgk6.jpg

A calendar, a PCA magazine, some zipties and heat shrink.

photo P_20170103_191358_zpsq0lwdynn.jpg

A Meguires clay bar and cleaner wax.

Some swabs and "delicate task wipes" I promise to not use the wipes on my delicate parts.

photo P_20170103_191420_zpsibt0xsne.jpg

Oooh! pointy.

photo P_20170103_191600_zpsqmbmkxku.jpg

Here is what is weird. This morning I stepped on my safety glasses rendering them a lot less safe and useful. Well this little bear shows up with a new pair!

photo P_20170103_191501_zpsupe7mix4.jpg

And last but not at all least this parker hydraulics fitting guide with super badass angle gauges to differentiate between JIC, pipe, metric and SAE fittings. I can guarantee this will be regularly used

photo P_20170103_191439_zpsqal2witj.jpg

Thanks Paul! this is awesome.

And thanks again Bill for being the driving force behind this

golfduke
golfduke HalfDork
1/4/17 8:53 a.m.

Glad you liked it! It's nice to put a name with... well, a screen name, haha. The Parker thread guide has saved my butt so many times at work that I've lost count. They sent me a new updated kit a few weeks ago, so I sent my trusty old one along.

The Kimwipes are great because they don't release dust or break down. I use them for delicate and anal-levels of cleaning, i.e. inside engines and such.

And the foam snowman, because it's a lot cheaper and safer to throw that thing across the garage in a blind fit of mechanic's rage than the tool in your hand at the time.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/4/17 10:07 a.m.

I actually am a day late posting. This arrived at my house yesterday:

Excellent start:

It says LS-1 right on top!!

The loot starts - a few mechanic rags, just about the longest piece of angle iron that would fit in the box, a v-belt, a wire brush, a 10mm box end, 4 gloves, and ear-plugs with a neat design and a better name:

Skull-screws:

More - two oil filters, some assorted car audio bits, an idler pulley, a pilot bearing, 2 saab door lock actuators (they don't feel like they are connected inside, but that might be normal), a nylon fluid quick disconnect fitting, 2 very high quality hose clamps, 3 cutoff wheels and 2 flapper wheels, 4 toyota COPs, 2 awesome aux lights, a toyota relay, an unknown electrical piece, and a REALLY COOL tactical flashlight.

I will use the aux lights on my challenge car, I have actually been trying to source something for the new headlight rule, so I can't tell you how perfect these are. I will very likely use the cutoff wheels, flapper wheels, hose clamps, quick-disconnect fitting, door lock actuators, angle iron, gloves, earplugs, and flashlight on my challenge build or during the build.

Closeup of the unknown electrical bit:

The flashlight is tiny and has an awesome company motto (the more the cheaper):

And what is the first thing you do with any flashlight? You test it of course. Here is my basement:

Here is my basement on tactical flashlight:

I have my guess as to who this is from (really working from just the state in the from address)...

All I have to say is - for those of you with kids who watch disney movies:

Brokeback
Brokeback Reader
1/4/17 10:16 a.m.

In reply to Robbie:

Glad you liked the loot! Some of it was regifted from last year - I was hoping someone else could use them since I couldn't. I love those hose clamps - expensive but they are a cool design and work so much better than typical hose clamps.

wae
wae Dork
1/4/17 11:31 a.m.

In reply to Ashyukun:

Glad you liked!

The vial is clag, not clay. Damn my terrible handwriting. I collected some of that from COTA after the 2016 USGP at the fan invasion for just such a purpose!

The mirror is from a Neon, of course!

The funny thing about that water bottle is that Fast Lane had a booth at NetApps conference and planned to give out those water bottles. Because NetApp was already giving out water bottles, however, none of the exhibitors were allowed to also give them out. So Fast Lane simply called them flasks. Which is exactly where your New Years guests went with it!

That muffler repair is probably as old as you are, but I used a different package of that on a friend's muffler last summer and amazingly enough, it worked!

I try to make an ornament of some sort each year and when I saw I drew your name, I started up SketchUp and drew up a Delorean! Thankfully, my 3D printer RMA returned just in the nick of time!

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/4/17 1:08 p.m.
DuctTape&Bondo wrote:
Hungary Bill wrote: Got my package today!!! Remember how I said I used my kids name when handing out assignments? Well, it took me a bit longer than I care to admit to figure out who this box really was for (good thing I have Mrs. Hungary with me)
I missed that part. I was hoping you had used an alias to throw me off and didn't have a relative who was also playing. Or if my luck was that bad and there was someone with the same last name in the same town. Gray shroud is running board end cap for 3rd gen 4runner limited. It was my parent's -they bought the wrong one and it's been kicking around my garage for years. Figured you'd buy one eventually or know someone who could use it. Tail light was from my dad's 1993 LS400. Button was from some local beer fest. Beads are from Las Vegas NYE or Laughlin River Regatta some years ago. License plate frame came from the local Toyota dealer when we bought my sister's Scion tC Kitchen related but not entirely sure what that hose came from either. Lanyards and wrench came from SEMA booths a couple years ago. Can you tell I got a vinyl plotter in the last year? The Rice Ave sticker is an actual exit for my city. Zzyzx Rd is also a real location we pass on the way to Vegas. I laughed when I was reminded that the Alfa logo depicts a serpent eating a man. Sorry I couldn't send actual In N Out food, it would have spoiled in transit. Glad you can use some of the stuff and thank you for putting on this game for us!

Ah! well, I almost got the tail light manufacturer right

Well done on the vinyl man Mrs. Hungary was going crazy "How much did he SPEND on stickers for you!?!"

"no no, he made these. I bet he has a vinyl cutter..."

That sent her through the roof (in a good way).

Thanks again

Hungary Bill
1/4/17 1:21 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Bill, your box is on its way. Thanks again for hosting this.

I'm excited and scared at the same time, I cant wait Thanks!

I tallied up what we have so far and it looks like we're at about the 80% mark. By the way things are looking (and at the risk of jinxing it) we're very well poised to see 100% participation this year (YAY!) I have a lot of the remaining packages marked "in transit" so if you haven't received yours yet, chances are it'll be arriving very soon.

I really just wanted to take a second to say "Thanks a ton!" to everyone for playing this year, and I'll eagerly be waiting a big finale as these last gifts start to arrive

Cheers!

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UltraDork
1/4/17 5:33 p.m.

That's an unused funnel thank you very much it might be dirty from hanging out in the garage for a long while though. I thought I may have gotten you but couldn't confirm that you actually moved to MN. And I was worried about the piston plumage not making it

Fueled by Caffeine wrote: Sorry this is late. We've been dealing with the ebolapoxplague here at chez FBC, and So what do we have here? A used funnel.. (actually needed one of these) A hobart Propane torch tip Some badges that made a Dakota Naked.. and a Bird made of some valves, a rod, some some springs etc.. It had some piston rings as plumage, but they didn't survive the trip. This bird will now live in my garage. Looking longingly over the empty bay in my garage. Thanks GRM santa
WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/4/17 8:34 p.m.
Hungary Bill wrote: I'm excited and scared at the same time, I cant wait Thanks! I tallied up what we have so far and it looks like we're at about the 80% mark. By the way things are looking (and at the risk of jinxing it) we're very well poised to see 100% participation this year (YAY!) I have a lot of the remaining packages marked "in transit" so if you haven't received yours yet, chances are it'll be arriving very soon. I really just wanted to take a second to say "Thanks a ton!" to everyone for playing this year, and I'll eagerly be waiting a big finale as these last gifts start to arrive Cheers!

No one from Waynesboro, PA posted about mine which was delivered on Dec 30th. I hope they liked it (and didn't drop it on their foot or something).

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/4/17 9:04 p.m.
moxnix wrote: Got mine right before Christmas just getting pics up now. I got the "Off Topic" box. Jegs catalog Some shop vac dry filters Tootsie roll bank Solo 2016 sticker DSL Modem Xfinity remote GRM stickers Hot wheels dust mask a bunch of something from Ikea a pipe cap a buy 5 get the 6th free card for some sushi place in MI something dirty that I have not figured out what it is yet.

Hmmm... your pic still isn't working. Try again so we can see your stuff and help identify your mystery item.

Brokeback
Brokeback Reader
1/4/17 9:14 p.m.

I was out of town and had my neighbor pick up packages for me - finally took possession of my present today!

What a lovely looking package (giggity)

First layer - towels!!

Below the towels, we get into the loot: First layer includes a sweet card of a 57 Tbird, wire holders (no longer have to use zip ties!), a book on exhaust and intake design, a stud remover (I had to look up what this was ), and a Fiat 600 badge.

Next up, 2 green towels are hiding a whole bunch more!

At first glance, I see motorcycle blinkers, some badass magnets, snap ring pliers, ear pluggers, a flap wheel, flare tool, and one of those steering wheel knob spinny thingies.

But wait, there's more below that! See the overall picture but other items include a metal "nut case" puzzle, a Cam-Dwell Indicator (had to google this one! ), A bolt circle template, more circlip pliers, a speedometer/odometer, door handles, window cranks, badges, and a wiper switch (all from either the Fiat or MG, I'm guessing?), a clamp-tite tool (awesome!!! I looked at getting one for awhile but never did pull the trigger), 2!!!!! 10mm sockets (major score), and a set of small wrenches by Oxwall. Oh, and a E36 M3-ton of stickers!

Thanks, Secret Santa!!! And thanks to Hungary Bill for organizing this again - its TONS of fun opening that thing up having no clue what sort of goodies you'll find, and trying to figure out what stuff is for is even more fun. I need to step up my game for next year!

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 SuperDork
1/4/17 9:56 p.m.

Is that a quadrifoglio badge? Those things are so cool!

I can't wait to see the rest of the packages. This was so much fun I already started picking things up for next year :-)

Thank you Hungary Bill for putting this together!

Jumper K. Balls
Jumper K. Balls UberDork
1/4/17 10:54 p.m.

In reply to Brokeback:

Those window cranks are from a 40's Buick. That reverse sweep vdo speedometer is a mystery. Too big to be isetta, not from a BMW motorcycle?

My toolbox junk drawer is lighter now

Brokeback
Brokeback Reader
1/4/17 11:12 p.m.
Jumper K. Balls wrote: In reply to Brokeback: Those window cranks are from a 40's Buick. That reverse sweep vdo speedometer is a mystery. Too big to be isetta, not from a BMW motorcycle? My toolbox junk drawer is lighter now

I like that they weigh about a pound each! Pretty sure I can find a way to use them. I was thinking drawer handles in the kitchen

Thanks again - all awesome stuff!

Hungary Bill
1/5/17 8:02 a.m.
WonkoTheSane wrote:
Hungary Bill wrote: I'm excited and scared at the same time, I cant wait Thanks! I tallied up what we have so far and it looks like we're at about the 80% mark. By the way things are looking (and at the risk of jinxing it) we're very well poised to see 100% participation this year (YAY!) I have a lot of the remaining packages marked "in transit" so if you haven't received yours yet, chances are it'll be arriving very soon. I really just wanted to take a second to say "Thanks a ton!" to everyone for playing this year, and I'll eagerly be waiting a big finale as these last gifts start to arrive Cheers!
No one from Waynesboro, PA posted about mine which was delivered on Dec 30th. I hope they liked it (and didn't drop it on their foot or something).

I have it on good authority that he's received the package and has photos, but has been unable to post them yet.

(I also haven't heard from that person since New Years Day and feel obligated to tell you that if your box killed your recipient then I couldn't in good conscience allow you to participate next year.)

daeman
daeman HalfDork
1/5/17 3:25 p.m.

Grrr, still showing up as San Francisco. Hopefully it's just due to Christmas backlog and the Gestapo haven't decided to detain it for some illogical reason.... (Jokes, I know customs are necessary and do an important job)

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
1/5/17 4:29 p.m.
minivan_racer wrote: That's an unused funnel thank you very much it might be dirty from hanging out in the garage for a long while though. I thought I may have gotten you but couldn't confirm that you actually moved to MN. And I was worried about the piston plumage not making it
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: Sorry this is late. We've been dealing with the ebolapoxplague here at chez FBC, and So what do we have here? A used funnel.. (actually needed one of these) A hobart Propane torch tip Some badges that made a Dakota Naked.. and a Bird made of some valves, a rod, some some springs etc.. It had some piston rings as plumage, but they didn't survive the trip. This bird will now live in my garage. Looking longingly over the empty bay in my garage. Thanks GRM santa

It's fantastic and one of the best gifts I've received in a long time. Thank you sir.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/5/17 4:31 p.m.

I received a box from Henderson NV, unpacked, and photographed the loot contained therein. I hope to post details tomorrow night.

Mezzanine
Mezzanine HalfDork
1/5/17 4:35 p.m.

USPS has no tracking mechanism of any value, so I'm unable to determine if my parcel has made it to the dark side of the moon and back yet...I hear intergalactic customs are tight.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is another week needed.

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UltraDork
1/5/17 7:56 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: It's fantastic and one of the best gifts I've received in a long time. Thank you sir.

I'm glad you liked it. Just so you know the rod is a 2.2 Chrysler rod that is left over from the free ones I got as a replacement for the daytona. The leg valves are 3.9 Chrysler exhaust valves that came out of one of my old Dakotas. The tail is a 2.2 or 2.0 Chrysler intake valve. The springs go over the bolts that hold the downpipe to the swingvalve on a 2.2 Chrysler, and the eyes are two m12 lug nuts I had laying around. The piston ring pieces are from the broken rings that came out of the Daytona when I found the broken ringland. I used two random nuts out of the drawer of random hardware to space the legs out. While I'm not known for my welding skill, the welds are mainly due to the usage of a 90 amp Horrid Fraught "mig" welder and were intentionally left boogered for "rustic" appeal.

Hungary Bill
1/5/17 9:26 p.m.
daeman wrote: Grrr, still showing up as San Francisco. Hopefully it's just due to Christmas backlog and the Gestapo haven't decided to detain it for some illogical reason.... (Jokes, I know customs are necessary and do an important job)

I laugh at the headscratching that must be going on in the US Customs office at the sight of a GRM New Years Game care package.

"I KNOW it's suspicious, but is it illegal? "

daeman
daeman HalfDork
1/5/17 10:31 p.m.
Hungary Bill wrote:
daeman wrote: Grrr, still showing up as San Francisco. Hopefully it's just due to Christmas backlog and the Gestapo haven't decided to detain it for some illogical reason.... (Jokes, I know customs are necessary and do an important job)
I laugh at the headscratching that must be going on in the US Customs office at the sight of a GRM New Years Game care package. "I KNOW it's suspicious, but is it illegal? "

Its probably made worse because the goods deceleration has nowhere near enough space for that amount of random crap. I didn't think they'd believe me if I just wrote "worthless junk"

The lady at the post office couldn't figure it out for the life of her. Then another lady who was at the post office from when I was there last year came out, it was weird enough for her that she remembered me straight away and knew exactly what I was doing.

1 ... 13 14 15 16 17

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EQOewiQHlAM1KyoIm70swLt4dRpO6QKsxFX3cHpMBwwREsX6mc5ABxrltKlJemTS