1 ... 14 15 16 17
GSmith
GSmith HalfDork
1/6/17 4:11 p.m.

Waynesboro PA here. I did receive the box and we got pix. So... here they are:

The box! USPS made sure to point out that it was heavy. And, no, I didn't drop it on my foot or anywhere else. I was thinking "brake rotor?" but that was not to be the case. The reinforced corner should have been a clue.

Nope, NOT a brake rotor. But heavy enough. No room to pad this, but the box corners were heavily reinforced.

And, not Tony Stark's initial Iron Man powerplant. It's a Magical Spinning Triangle!

But that's not all! We have a pair of NGK spark plugs and 4 coil packs. Are they RX7 parts? I don't know! I think the spark plugs are at least.

What better to do with no remaining space in the box, but add stickers! (I think if they were on the outside, the box would have gone faster, but then they'd be used up). Unfortunately, one of the seals arrived in pieces. Fortunately, I don't expect it to ever be under pressure again.

Somehow, crammed into the space was this magnetic thingie for your wrist to hold tools or fasteners. It might help my circulation too. My mechanic son has found these to be quite handy.

And everything together, along with the included instructions.

I think my 3rd son, who may be joining GRM soon to start hunting for his first car, may end up assembling this as a project for Scouts!

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/6/17 4:39 p.m.

"instant rotary display", I love it!!!

daeman
daeman HalfDork
1/6/17 5:56 p.m.

Woo hoo! Looks like it's finally cleared customs, it's showing up as attempted delivery. I take back all the mean things I was thinking about customs.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/6/17 11:25 p.m.

Glad you like it! I was quite concerned about the boxes' structural integrity during transport. The black paper that I used as padding is gasket material, if you didn't know that already. Always good to have on hand. The coils are actually from an Rx-8, but I wanted them off the work bench.

The two spark plugs are rotary ones, the one marked with the "T" goes in the top (it stands for Trailing), the "L" goes in the lower (it stands for leading). That's the direction the rotor would be rotating as it compresses near the spark plugs. Rotaries fire one the leading plug, then, about 15° or so later (depending on RPM) it will fire the trailing plug for better combustion. I left the oil injector on the housing too (that's the little "bulb" sticking out of the top. And just so you know that's a 13bt rotor/housing out of an 88 Turbo II Rx-7.

I put the stationary gear in there so that the rotor will rotate correctly if your son makes the display out of it :) Enjoy!

GSmith
GSmith HalfDork
1/7/17 12:08 a.m.

In reply to WonkoTheSane:

Dang, now I'm going to have to see if he can motorize the crankshaft. Cleaning out the garage = handing more work to others?

Seriously though, I really like it. And it will find a home in the garage as a display for sure.

I did have a '86 RX7 that was going to be a Challenge donor. No cooling, so I only test ran it for a minute or two a couple times. It was a blast! Long gone now.

daeman
daeman HalfDork
1/8/17 12:34 p.m.

Looks like my parcel has finally found its way to the intended recipient. Hopefully the contents survived the journey ok.

Edit: to the recipient, remember, vegimite is savory and less is more. Please don't slather it on thick like peanut butter..... It'll be disgusting . Fresh toasted white bread with tons of butter with next to no vegimite is the best way for beginners.

Mezzanine
Mezzanine HalfDork
1/8/17 1:16 p.m.

IT'S HERE!

Contents include:

• NSW license plate (this will likely be displayed in our kitchen)

• Victoria Bitter “soda", according to the customs form

• Vegemite (lifetime supply!)

• A very vintage and well loved Castlemaine cozy

• Natrad cozy

• Danger tape

• PPE: two pair safety glasses, one set ear plugs

• Porsche 934 Turbo RSR

• Popular Mechanics from 1966, featuring some Mopar action (same year as my D200 truck!)

• Current Street Machine magazine – great insight to car culture in Oz

• NOS wire snubber assy, master chain link, misc. wire bundle

• Tools: Sidchrome AF (as berkeley?) and HM spanner, valve wrench (?), razor knife, mini pliers (that work beautifully on a tig torch collet btw!), and Marten’s Victorinox knife

• A small bit of garlic skin (how did THAT clear customs?)

• A set of Mopar keys. I’m willing to bet they work in my Dodge.

• Stickers: local radio station, local clothing manufacturer, and a local forklift supplier (?)

• Cat

Mmm, I was really hoping you'd send me some Vegemite. I tried some on buttered toast already, and it is quite good! (in small doses, as Daeman suggests)

I'll be cracking this open shortly...

The whole collection:

Finally, this happened the moment I had the box emptied...to be honest I can't really be sure the cat wasn't part of the delivery.

Daeman, thanks so much for putting this package together for me and sending it all the way across the world...I only hope mine delivers soon! I really love the things you've packed.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
1/8/17 2:24 p.m.

Still rockin' my NSW plate from last year!

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/8/17 5:03 p.m.

I received a package from Henderson NV, but I'm not sleuthy enough to figure out who sent it. It was jam-packed with goodies:
. Including:
3-piece set of small funnels, storage rail for 3/8" drive sockets, map light (GPS light?), hand cleaner, rubberized work gloves, magnesium fire starter (yeah!), wire wheel for drill, ratcheting screwdriver (berkeley yeah!), a fuel pressure tester (another berkeley yeah!), some detail brushes, a microfiber towel, and a sweet hat, some nuts and bolts, a K&N sticker, and a tool I can't identify (standing up in front of the brushes).

Thanks, unknown GRM Secret Santa from Henderson NV!

daeman
daeman HalfDork
1/8/17 5:19 p.m.

In reply to Mezzanine:

Mate, I'm so stoked that all traveled so well and made it through customs unscathed. That can of "soda" had me a little worried that they'd hold onto it.

Glad you like the stuff, I know I had fun piling it all together.

As for the items,

The porshce, a regift from last year's Santa, so its very well traveled, thanks EastCoastMojo.

Popular mechanics, the year was just a fluke, its one of several that came out of a box of books and magazines from my late grandfather.

Martin's knife has been laying around my house and garage for years, it came out of a car I bought, absolutely no idea who Martin was.

NSW number plate was on a mk2 Suzuki Swift I owned a few years ago.

The mystery tool is a mystery to me, it was cool old and rusty and I figured the brains trust of grm may well know what it is.

Enjoy the VB, preferably ice cold.

I wasn't going to send such a large jar of Vegemite, but I believe you like to bake bread. I figured maybe you'd be keen on making some cheese and vegimite scrolls.

Thanks for pairing up with me mate, this has been awesome fun.

And thanks to you bill for running the game again.

daeman
daeman HalfDork
1/8/17 5:20 p.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote: Still rockin' my NSW plate from last year!

Love it! We've even almost got the same truck.

daeman
daeman Dork
1/9/17 4:01 a.m.

As luck would have it a parcel arrived about half an hour after I got home from work today.

Contents included,

A Washington state number plate. It's already been attached to the bulkhead for my workbench light.

A Washington state silhouette magnet, not pictured, I stuck it to my fridge while I was unpacking and forgot to grab it when I was taking photos

A GRM tshirt. It fits pretty well, though now I have to decide if it's for keeping nice or for garage time.

Some orange and cinnamon tea, I'll give it a go, though it may end up being hijacked by my Mrs, she's a major tea fancier.

Postcards, from Washington naturally. Also a very cool book of historic postcards from Tacoma's centenary celebrations.

Some Saab badges, 900 and turbo.

A bottle opener from LaRue tactical, I've already tested it. yeah, works great.

Sports car market magazine from March 2005

A fluke multimeter spring clamp attachment, that'll get a home amongst my auto elec gear.

A digital tyre pressure gauge, with working battery, bonus.

An ARP lanyard

A referees whistle

A Sasquatch night rider sticker

A piece of carbon fibre that has a sticker on it depicting it as some kind of blade? Its got me stumped.

Mezzanine, I love your work, thanks heaps. I really enjoyed what you sent, thanks heaps for being up for doing the whole international thing.

daeman
daeman HalfDork
1/9/17 4:05 a.m.

Also, the lady of the house says if you don't recall having a cat prior to unpacking my parcel you're more than welcome to box it up and send it to her.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/10/17 1:03 p.m.

It's second Christmas!!!!

This time it was the eldest that helped with the unwrapping, and boy is he quick.

See that? He's already taken one of my favorite toys

To begin with we have two baseball caps, a belt that google tells me goes to an early 80's Ford L8000 dump truck , and a mix CD.

I'm about halfway through that mix CD (I have a short commute) and haven't hit the skip button once. I cant say I know a single band or song but it's great tunes and the tracks flow together extremely well!

Honestly, can you ever have too many of these? The Mazda LeMans is my favorite

I told you that kid was quick! These were out for two seconds and he's already stealing stickers for his tool box

I'm saving that picture, I get the feeling it's going to be foretelling

A taste of the opposite corner of the states

GRM is by far the longest I've ever continually held a subscription (say... about 6 years? ) All of these predate my first issue MMMMMM GRM history

This is the business right here. I love love love automotive related literature. I have a work trip coming down the pipe and it involves some looooong flight times. These may just get me through it.

IIRC the v6 used in that generation of Camaro is somehow related to the Alfa Romeo JTS V6... hmmmmmmmm

Last and certainly not least. A BMW pin

Thanks guys! Thank you very much

EvanR
EvanR SuperDork
1/11/17 3:23 a.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: I received a package from Henderson NV, ... and a tool I can't identify (standing up in front of the brushes).

It's-a me!

And the tool you can't identify is a steering wheel lock plate compressor, for pre-airbag GM. It's useful to change a turn signal switch or ignition lock cylinder.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/11/17 6:32 a.m.

In reply to EvanR:

Outstanding! Now I can steal a G-body without wrecking the column! ;-)

Mezzanine
Mezzanine HalfDork
1/11/17 11:55 a.m.

In reply to daeman:

The Washington license plate came on my 1985 SAAB 900s. Still have the car, two or three plate sets later.

The vegemite is great – I made jalapeno cheddar sourdough, which complemented the stuff nicely. I’m somewhere past the beginner volume – you can actually see it spread on the toast. Vegemite not pictured here.

Market Spice tea is a local thing – made in Seattle. It is decent tea as long as you take it straight. Don’t put a bunch of stuff in it.

I felt it is in keeping with the theme of GRM gift-giving to include something random and obscure. The carbon fiber is some scrap from the end of a 20’ doctor blade from a paper machine. Doctor blades scrape along the rolls of a paper machine to keep them clean and smooth. I gathered a few blades when I worked at a paper mill – they’re useful for various projects. I made a racing dinghy trailer with doctor blade carbon fiber and some aluminum once. The scrap I gave you is useful as a scraper and not much else. Example:

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/11/17 2:07 p.m.

Glad you're enjoying the mix tape. That was intern Katie's idea, and I had fun putting it together. Those are all bands that deserve more attention than they get. I should see if there's a way to share it with the group.

Thanks again for hosting this.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/11/17 3:27 p.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote: Still rockin' my NSW plate from last year!

Quoted, because this truck is awesome and deserves to be seen again.

daeman
daeman Dork
1/12/17 3:15 a.m.

In reply to Mezzanine:

Did the Saab badges come from the same model? I may have to find another turbo badge, because reasons.

Glad you're enjoying the vegimite. That sourdough looks delicious, looks like you have a really healthy and active starter. My last sour dough starter was ok, nice flavour, but nowhere near as much aeration as yours.

I'll definitely be trying the tea, but I need coffee of a morning and the evenings have been far to hot for anything other than water or beer. Speaking of how did the VB go?

Thankyou! I searched and couldnt figure it out. Looks like it might actually make a good decal applicator.

By the way, the beverage entry tool is awesome, its going to become my go to bottle opener.

LopRacer
LopRacer Dork
1/12/17 9:06 a.m.

I got a lovely surprise when I got home late last night, a package from Waynesboro PA. There is so much awesomeness I don't know where to start. I will try to get pictures up later this week or weekend. Thanks GRM Secret Santa.

Ashyukun
Ashyukun GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/12/17 9:22 a.m.

I noticed while checking Woot this morning that they still have the multitool & tactical spork combo available in case anyone wanted it:

Columbia River Knife and Tool 9070-2 Guppie and Eat'N Tool Combo Pack

LopRacer
LopRacer Dork
1/13/17 10:59 a.m.

Finally a photo of the haul, sooo awesome list to include but by no means complete. Hot wheels cars- always awesome

several cords for charging,

listening to ipod,

plugging into ether-net,

50 am circuit breaker

spark plug x 4 that I have not looked up the application just yet, but will

multi-tool size pocket with sony promotional branding

USB charger for car

Wire/cable running clips

heat sink and fan for cpu

chain mail key chain

Map of the great state of Pennsylvania

Microsoft T shirt and patch

Multiple stickers including GRM

Personalized Christmas photo card

Wallet multi tool

Casters x 4

Hose connector garden type

Gauge cluster

Epoxy stick

Atomic fireball

and finally Radar detector vintage

and Kershaw knife for daily carry.

Am speechless with appreciation.

edited for more awesome as I forgot to mention the awesome Princess Leia Pez dispenser.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 SuperDork
1/13/17 2:15 p.m.

Ooh- that looks like a GFCI breaker!

And those anchors are the real deal. Cool!

GSmith
GSmith HalfDork
1/13/17 7:42 p.m.
LopRacer wrote: Finally a photo of the haul, sooo awesome list to include but by no means complete. Hot wheels cars- always awesome several cords for charging, listening to ipod, plugging into ether-net, 50 am circuit breaker spark plug x 4 that I have not looked up the application just yet, but will multi-tool size pocket with sony promotional branding USB charger for car Wire/cable running clips heat sink and fan for cpu chain mail key chain Map of the great state of Pennsylvania Microsoft T shirt and patch Multiple stickers including GRM Personalized Christmas photo card Wallet multi tool Casters x 4 Hose connector garden type Gauge cluster Epoxy stick Atomic fireball and finally Radar detector vintage and Kershaw knife for daily carry. Am speechless with appreciation. edited for more awesome as I forgot to mention the awesome Princess Leia Pez dispenser.

I'm pretty sure the spark plugs are for a Triumph TR7. But not positive.

1 ... 14 15 16 17

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qETvuQY2nzJW0Xk0VgBCVuQe7XCbXnMi9UQPpltfQIXqZbMtI3fOMTTZv309Aem7