1 2 3
NickD
NickD UltraDork
1/1/18 7:34 a.m.

Put a blower on the 1.8L and install the whole setup in my Miata, best my previous 92hp dyno run by at least 70% and win my autocross class for the third year in a row.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
1/1/18 9:50 a.m.

-pay off the [emergency] credit card by April when interest starts

-start stretching/yoga

-go to the Doctor, Eye Doctor, and dentist

-Konmari our house and try to get the wife on board with it

-go to church more. 

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
1/1/18 9:56 a.m.

Pretty much the same as the 2017 goals, which I thought were fairly reasonable yet I managed to fail at:

• Get the TDI back on the road.
  • Replace the transmission in the GT6.
  • Build the basement bathroom.
  • New engine in the Spitfire (assuming the core can be rebuilt).
  • Either start on the E-350 RV conversion or sell it.
Brotus7
Brotus7 HalfDork
1/1/18 9:58 a.m.
  • Explore everything with my 1 year old daughter.  Let every day be an adventure.
  • Donuts in the Europa
  • Family outdoor time - bike trips, hiking, picnics.
  • Learn how to manage career stress.
dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/1/18 10:11 a.m.

Finally screw together  the 924S-SC with my son. He has expressed interest in both the paint scheme and with his ongoing obsession with computers I am going to see if it transfers over to tuning on a Megasquirt. I have the entire harness for the car set up and running on the bench with the MS. I have a new motor for it in the shed. I have all the parts finally acquired cataloged and in boxes and sorted by the system. I want this to be the year.  The only reason I have held off is my dream would be to get either a 951 or a 944s2 roller and make it out of that.  I like the sleeper that the 924s would be but the body style of the 951 is by far my preference. 

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
1/1/18 10:54 a.m.

To make it to '19.

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
1/1/18 11:05 a.m.

Actually attend some form of motorsport in the wagon this summer. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
1/1/18 12:08 p.m.

1. Cut out most sugar from my diet.

2. Go on some bike rides.

3. Get the Mini operable.

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
1/1/18 6:13 p.m.

Return to the world of the gainfully employed....all other circumstances are affected by this very simple ,but complicated(oil&gas engineering) fact of life.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
1/1/18 6:38 p.m.
Teh E36 M3 said:

Finish Airstream restoration, wood floor the house (1800 sqft), do new kitchen, do three new bathrooms, finish out garage, retire from the Coast Guard without drama, get airline job, camp camp camp a E36 M3 ton. Get a motorcycle and another Midget to put an F20 into. Motorcycle road trip, Braun Brothers Reunion music fest.

Should fit that into a lifetime.  

If I can make a suggestion regarding the flooring.  I've done 3/4" hardwood a few times and it's miserable work.  For the same or slightly less money per square foot the make true hardwood in 5/16" thickness that you install with a pneumatic stapler (I'll mail you mine if you pay shipping). It feels identical to the thick stuff, is prefinished with a bazillion coats of urethane, makes less of a negative impact on the tree world, and is easy to work with.  I've done several that way and it's awesome!

RossD
RossD MegaDork
1/1/18 6:39 p.m.

Get one of my work spaces in our new house put together so I can work on stuff.

Scott Hatfield
Scott Hatfield Dork
1/1/18 7:07 p.m.

Maintain the 40 lb weight loss from 2017. Get my eclipse on the road. 

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
1/1/18 7:40 p.m.

In 2018, I want to get the datsun replica street legal.   That means I'll need to get lots of electrical things functional

• turn signals
  • brake light
  • backup light
  • headlights
  • gauges
  • windshield wiper

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
1/1/18 7:43 p.m.

1. Finish the damn kitchen, several years in the making. 

2. Win overall in a Lemons race 

3. Have our wedding in September be successful.  

4. Kaizen at work. 

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/1/18 7:48 p.m.

One goal for 2018: Work Harder.  The diet, the exercise, staying in touch, house projects, car projects...whatever it is I want to look back at 2018 and say that I finally got my sh*t together!  

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
1/1/18 8:05 p.m.

Do okay at new job and don't get fired.  

Drink a bit less alcohol.

Fix VFR enough to be running right by year's end.  Stretch goal: Actually be using the thing properly by, say, June.

Be there for my family even if that means fighting with people so we as a team are doing the right things for everyone.

Keep doing the things I told myself I was going to do and stop doing the things I told myself I was going to stop doing, like looking back at parts of my life that I think should have gone differently.  

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
1/2/18 8:28 a.m.

Build garage, buy an XJ8/X300 XJ6, find a cardio activity I enjoy other then Ultimate Frisbee (going to try mountain biking), get the autocross car into better shape, start an IRA (to supplement my 401K).

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/3/18 10:48 a.m.

Learn to use all the tools I bought last year closer to how they're meant to be used; ie plasma cutter, welder, 3d printer. 

$500/month into savings. $100/month into daughter's savings. (According to year end balances)

Doesn't sound like much, but that's about half my monthly income. I've got about $250 in an emergency fund right now, that will keep the lights on for a month and not much else, so that needs fixed. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
1/3/18 10:51 a.m.
  • Bench 315, Front squat 255, deadlift 385
  • Write more (500 words/wk minimum)
  • Communicate better
  • Be more green
  • Cook from scratch more
NBraun
NBraun GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/3/18 11:07 a.m.

I normally have pretty big plans and then life gets in the way, but it's good to have goals I suppose.

For 2018 I hope to

- Finish up house repairs, clean up the shed and junk in the yard.

- Put a new floor in the shed.

- Finish building out my camper shell on the pickup and do more camping/hiking/exploring.

- Finish the bike and do more riding, as well as buy a Supermoto and make it to a track day.

-  Get a 10.xx in the 1/4 with the zephyr

Bobcougarzillameister
Bobcougarzillameister MegaDork
1/3/18 11:47 a.m.

Have more fun than last year. Pray that the engine makes it through a full season. destroy tires. Past that I'm pretty open. 

barefootskater
barefootskater Reader
1/3/18 11:54 a.m.

Figure out what I want to do with the Chevy. Take my wife to Disney. Drop 15lbs. Skate more. Pick up my guitar at lease 3 times/week. Spend more play time/less tv time with my boy.

Buy a welder.

Suprf1y
Suprf1y PowerDork
1/3/18 12:16 p.m.

Seeing this thread has made me realize that I have been putting off something that I don't want to think about.

I was going to retire in 2017. When that time arrived I couldn't walk away.  I couldn't walk away from the security of benefits and a paycheque every two weeks. But if I don't do it soon I'm afraid I'll regret not having the time or health to enjoy some of the things we want to do.  I don't want to just leave work and end up drinking too much and puttering around the shop doing meaningless work to fill my time - that's what work is for cheeky

So I told Mrs. f1y that we need to come up with a plan. All the things we want to do, when we want to do them, and how we're going to make it happen.

That's my goal for 2018.

johndej
johndej HalfDork
1/3/18 12:23 p.m.

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 HalfDork
1/3/18 4:03 p.m.

I'm going to drive my TR6 project this year.  It will probably never be done, but I'd like to get it usable as a car.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DYQ5etHKMj05LLZ6Eb7onS1SmJMAamLeiyNQY16I20o9I6PbkQ1ZPsRQGLYZDSo1