1 2 3 4
stroker
stroker UltraDork
7/30/18 8:02 a.m.

First preseason game is less than a week away and I realized I couldn't remember seeing any NFL threads.  

I'm feeling hopeful about Green Bay.  We may actually have a running game this year.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/30/18 8:18 a.m.

You think your team is promising? The Bears are so promising that their first round draft pick still hasn't signed. This guy is gonna be good.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
7/30/18 8:42 a.m.

Is this to trash rival teams or to trash the NFL in general?

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/30/18 8:54 a.m.

NFL - a bunch of tax subsidized billionaires providing bread and circuses to the hoi polloi.   

Employs a bunch of mostly under educated athletes who mostly don't realize they are in the entertainment business, not the sports business, and don't realize they are as expendable as gladiators. 

I'd rather work on my truck than watch a game.     

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/30/18 8:55 a.m.
jharry3 said:

NFL - a bunch of tax subsidized billionaires providing bread and circuses to the hoi polloi.   

Employs a bunch of mostly under educated athletes who mostly don't realize they are in the entertainment business, not the sports business, and don't realize they are as expendable as gladiators. 

I'd rather work on my truck than watch a game.     

All of this is true. 

I still love it.

68TR250
68TR250 Reader
7/30/18 9:03 a.m.

This is going to be the third season I haven't watched NFL.  Don't miss it a bit.  I'd rather go Geocaching or drive around in the fire truck.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
7/30/18 9:09 a.m.

Seahawks.  So many questions. 

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
7/30/18 9:11 a.m.

I did not watch a single game last year until the playoffs.  I can’t see it being any different this year.  

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/30/18 9:23 a.m.

Isn't it fun when friends are at a picnic having a bullE36 M3 sesh about whether their audi, BMW, or porsche is the best club racer and then some other people decide to wander over and pontificate about how all German cars are garbage?

Good talk guys.

My prediction: Pats lose the AFC championship and Brady misses 3 games midseason to an injury, but we still go 1-2 in that span with the janitor subbing in at QB.

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/30/18 9:28 a.m.

This is the years the Browns turn it around.  Right?  Please tell me this is the year they win a game!?  Im tired of people feeling pity for me...

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
7/30/18 9:37 a.m.

I haven’t watched football in several seasons. Old Lady McCaskey doesn’t need to own the Bears anymore, she allows them to make poor decisions every year and the team just sucks worse every year. What sucks is even Old Lady McCaskey dies, the team goes to the kids, who are equally bad at making decisions.  

That’s my my trash talk for the year. 

stroker
stroker UltraDork
7/30/18 9:39 a.m.

In reply to logdog :

Y'know, the Browns have sucked for so long I think there are WAY more people nation-wide who would rather see the Browns do well than the Cowboys....  I keep threatening to do a Las Vegas bet for $10 on the Browns and the Lions in the Superbowl but it won't be this year...

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/30/18 9:51 a.m.

I give this thread less than 15 posts from now before some soccer wienie says how much better/tougher soccer is or refers to football as "hand-egg." 

While you're at it, be sure to  call hockey "stick-disc."

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/30/18 9:58 a.m.

Hard to believe training camps are open already. The offseason goes by really quickly when you're winning games in February laugh

This year maybe we'll let the starting QB win one devil

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/30/18 10:01 a.m.

I would like to see the Browns knock the Patriots out of the playoffs.  Not sure that is even possible, but it would be great. Yes, I am a never-Parioter'.

Not really a big football fan, but I will watch the playoffs and any Green Bay game that is aired (wife is a fan).  We might try and go to the Chargers / Green Bay game at that tiny stadium the Chargers play in (tickets might be pretty hard to get though).

The NFL, in general, does need a huge slap to the head though.... which of course will not cause permanent brain damage... at least that I will admit... 

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
7/30/18 11:20 a.m.

Don't really care about all the NFL jump-on-the-bandwagon haters, I still love it.

As for trash talking...the Eagles are the champs until someone knocks them off.  /thread.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
7/30/18 11:29 a.m.

Things I would like to see this year in the NFL:

The Packers lose every game--- Rogers has his fragile ego hurt and quits

Patriots get busted for cheating......again

The Browns win.....at least 3 games.  (best season in years!) 

The Bears play tough defense and are competitive....maybe even win a few

Goodell gets thrown in jail for something or other and never returns.    

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/30/18 11:45 a.m.

The Browns have had so many high draft picks in the past few years, they can't help but improve, right? They're on Hard Knocks this year, so it'll be interesting to get that behind-the-scenes look at a team that's won one game in the past two seasons and how they can turn it around.

As for my Lions, well, we'll see. On paper they should be better, the o-line has had a lot of resources thrown at it, hopefully that pays off on the field. Stafford is solid, the receivers are decent, and if Golladay can stay healthy and build on the flashes he showed last year, they could be very good. Running game can only improve with Blount and yet another draft pick. I think the biggest problem is going to be D-line depth. They'll end up somewhere between 8-8 and 10-6, I think.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/30/18 12:40 p.m.
logdog said:

This is the years the Browns turn it around.  Right?  Please tell me this is the year they win a game!?  Im tired of people feeling pity for me...

I guarantee you we win more than last year.

NoMini
NoMini PowerDork
7/30/18 12:50 p.m.
Appleseed said:

... how much better/tougher soccer is .. 

Yeah, soccer is so much tougher .. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
7/30/18 1:03 p.m.

I'll half-heartedly root for the Seahawks like I have since they were robbed in 2005. I pretty much gave up on the NFL last season and only watched a couple games plus the superbowl. It takes too much time away from real life to sit on the couch all day Sunday anyway.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/30/18 1:07 p.m.
bluej said:

Isn't it fun when friends are at a picnic having a bullE36 M3 sesh about whether their audi, BMW, or porsche is the best club racer and then some other people decide to wander over and pontificate about how all German cars are garbage?

either way, the VW is clearly not the better racer.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
7/30/18 1:16 p.m.

Soccer?  Is that the game where they spend 90 minutes running around after the ball and finish with a super exciting 1-0 score?  Yeah, I don't watch that.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/30/18 1:17 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

Which, the overpriced Golf/Passat or the overpriced Beetle? devil

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
7/30/18 2:25 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

Soccer?  Is that the game where they spend 90 minutes running around after the ball and finish with a super exciting 1-0 score?  Yeah, I don't watch that.

You forgot about how they fall down and pretend to be dying anytime another player touches them or comes close to them.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Scv8F5IRA76m3Sg6IKwURvIRwSWLlRSWCXx5Hv5rx2GXmOakAfkMJF4DTOLKYckF