Fit_Is_Slo
Fit_Is_Slo Reader
1/13/12 5:58 p.m.

If six is good twelve must be twice as great! I vote jag v12

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
1/13/12 6:19 p.m.
JoeyM wrote:
racerdave600 wrote: And definitely stick with fuel injection.
What's the best painless and (cheap way!!!) to do that? Asking because I need to get an L24(e) running again soon in my car. The complicating factor is that I fear wires, and DIYAutotune doesn't offer a PNP

The FI in those cars is chimp simple. You need the stock ECM, a wiring diagram and a ECM pinout diagram. The pinout shows what wire does what in the connector. Wiring looks intimidating at first, but is really not difficult once you get the hang of it. Teh Googles is your friend when it comes to running down diagrams. Here's one page that may have what you need: http://www.xenons30.com/reference.html

corytate
corytate HalfDork
1/13/12 7:12 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: Has anyone ever put a BMW slant-6 in a Z? Cory - do you have a power goal in mind? Is 300hp sufficient? Do you want 400? 800? Do you want flexibility for more power down the road? I personally think the RB is the way to go, but it also depends on how reliable your parts supply is, considering that they never came stateside. Along those lines, you could look at 2JZ, I've seen a very cleanly done 2J280Z, and the parts supply should be a little bit better stateside than it would be for the Nissan 6.

I'm thinking 300 to 350 as a goal, which I think is pretty reasonable, and will definitely make the car fly.
The parts supply is the only thing that worries me about the rb, but it'd be so cool to have it in there that it might be worth it.
I don't need this to be a DD, so if the car goes down for a little bit, I'll survive. Can anyone speak for general reliability of the rb25 or 26? with some modifications to bump it up to about 400whp?=]
with an l series, 300hp is the goal, but if I went with an rb or anything Forced, probably 400 would be better. lol
I love the 2j, and have thought about both the 2j and the 7m as possibilities, but I'd like to keep it nissan/datsun for sure.
I'm just weird like that I guess. Plus I can still have some sort of classing like that lol

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
1/13/12 7:20 p.m.
Curmudgeon wrote:
JoeyM wrote:
racerdave600 wrote: And definitely stick with fuel injection.
What's the best painless and (cheap way!!!) to do that? Asking because I need to get an L24(e) running again soon in my car. The complicating factor is that I fear wires, and DIYAutotune doesn't offer a PNP
The FI in those cars is chimp simple. You need the stock ECM, a wiring diagram and a ECM pinout diagram. The pinout shows what wire does what in the connector. Wiring looks intimidating at first, but is really not difficult once you get the hang of it. Teh Googles is your friend when it comes to running down diagrams. Here's one page that may have what you need: http://www.xenons30.com/reference.html

Thanks!!

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 New Reader
1/14/12 8:20 a.m.

I say stick with the L28! They are rock solid, simple, and sound oh so sweet! Or go L28ET if you want...the power is readily available!

corytate
corytate HalfDork
1/14/12 8:17 p.m.

time to gloat, I went and put 200 down on it today. Getting an l28 and a 4 speed with it for a little more=]

In love

corytate
corytate HalfDork
1/14/12 8:18 p.m.

We decided to go ahead and throw the engine in there lol.
only took about 20 minutes!

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
1/14/12 8:24 p.m.

Too cool! I'll be watching this build...

corytate
corytate HalfDork
1/14/12 9:17 p.m.

ok so apparently it is a l26, not an l28, unless the block/head combo makes it any different
it is a p30 block (2.6) with an e31 head (2.4 square port) with an e88 intake mani with the twin SU carbs, so I'm guessing that is the setup stock on the l24.
may be going for the zx block with flat top pistons, but the head is definitely exactly the one I wanted, and the engine with trans was only $250 extra.

corytate
corytate HalfDork
1/15/12 10:22 a.m.

actually may be a 2.4 even, didn't realize the 2.6 and 2.4 share casting codes. from the looks of it, it has the 2.4 head also, with the inlet mani from the 2.6 head (if the casting numbers from the mani match the casting from the head they came from, that is)
regardless, its got the entire top end that I want, so throwing a zx block with flat tops under it wil;l make it exactly what I was aiming for.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Reader
1/15/12 12:49 p.m.

it was great to meet you yesterday. i was so glad to see a guy so happy about this car. hell, i wanted it, but i didnt want the divorce that would accompany it.

and you even managed to make my duster loog good in that pic.

michael

corytate
corytate HalfDork
1/15/12 12:58 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: it was great to meet you yesterday. i was so glad to see a guy so happy about this car. hell, i wanted it, but i didnt want the divorce that would accompany it. and you even managed to make my duster loog good in that pic. michael

it'd be hard to make that car not look good. it is a seriously gorgeous car. his b truck is pretty damn cool too.
Wife was quite mad with me when I got home, but we went to eat Outback later on, so its all good now lol.

I'm very excited to pick the car up, maybe I'll get to run it at CMP someday soon with you guys!
I think I'll be sourcing a ZX block with flat tops to put under the head and all that is already on it, but I'll probably be running the 2.4/2.6 whatever it is now for a bit at least. Going to be exciting to drive it for sure
Thanks for posting it and everything else, it was quite nice to put an engine in a car I haven't even finished paying for yet with you guys lol

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Reader
1/15/12 1:04 p.m.
corytate wrote:
Dusterbd13 wrote: it was quite nice to put an engine in a car I haven't even finished paying for yet with you guys lol
and that is why this hobby, and the people on this forum, is great.
corytate
corytate HalfDork
1/15/12 2:04 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote:
corytate wrote:
Dusterbd13 wrote: it was quite nice to put an engine in a car I haven't even finished paying for yet with you guys lol
and that is why this hobby, and the people on this forum, is great.

+1.
first time meeting a fellow grm'er was definitely a good time.
maybe this car can even end up going to the challenge? I've stil got like $1400 of budget left lol

FlightService
FlightService Dork
1/15/12 2:36 p.m.

4.2 L LL8 I6

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy SuperDork
1/15/12 3:00 p.m.

IIRC, the bore is the only difference between the 2.4 and 2.6, and the 2.8 has a taller deck, with more stroke. I also think the internal dimensions pretty much replicate the 510's L16, 610's L18, and then 710's L20.

But I could be wrong.

I am absolutely not wrong about you being lucky to have the good carbs instead of the flat top Hitachis.

corytate
corytate HalfDork
1/15/12 3:08 p.m.
FlightService wrote: 4.2 L LL8 I6

interesting, but its gonna stay datsun for now at least
I worked on a saab 97x the other day with one of these.
In fact its still in my bay because I still have to fix some things lol

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
1/15/12 4:21 p.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: IIRC, the bore is the only difference between the 2.4 and 2.6, and the 2.8 has a taller deck, with more stroke. I also think the internal dimensions pretty much replicate the 510's L16, 610's L18, and then 710's L20. But I could be wrong. I am absolutely not wrong about you being lucky to have the good carbs instead of the flat top Hitachis.

When you think about it, it's pretty bad to have to hang a set of British SUs on one instead of the Japanese Hitachis because they are better carbs.

FlightService
FlightService Dork
1/15/12 4:27 p.m.
corytate wrote:
interesting, but its gonna stay datsun for now at least I worked on a saab 97x the other day with one of these. In fact its still in my bay because I still have to fix some things lol

I am not a General fan but there is something about this motor that just calls to me.

Staying OEM....How about a Q45 transplant?

corytate
corytate HalfDork
1/15/12 5:00 p.m.
FlightService wrote:
corytate wrote:
interesting, but its gonna stay datsun for now at least I worked on a saab 97x the other day with one of these. In fact its still in my bay because I still have to fix some things lol
I am not a General fan but there is something about this motor that just calls to me. Staying OEM....How about a Q45 transplant?

straight six for now, I think if I get the urge to go v8 or bigger it'll be an ls or something radical like a bmw 10 lol

FlightService
FlightService Dork
1/15/12 6:56 p.m.
corytate wrote: straight six for now, I think if I get the urge to go v8 or bigger it'll be an ls or something radical like a bmw 10 lol

I am watching this one!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fWr59h8sFvOPhLjONvy7hSlzUVzWdImBGCvm2glbgjnjX7lqy08JGhfZF1gpFkT0