1 2
Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
8/24/18 10:11 p.m.

Really?  I’m reading an old magazine and the 370Z starts at $29,930 in 2009 and the 2019 starts at $29,990?

Is this the bargain of the year?   I sort of want to buy a base model.  

I contacted Bombaritto Nissan in St. Louis and they took $500 off sticker and added $200 for an internet service charge but they’re strapped for cash I believe since they are sponsoring the Indy car race this weekend. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/24/18 10:25 p.m.

Because its a brand new 10 year old car.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
8/24/18 11:59 p.m.

I am not sure why I have never had any interest in those cars.  Something about it being to big for a small light car and to small for a big powerful car.

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
8/25/18 7:12 a.m.

One approached me at an intersection the other day and it was the first time in recent memory that I've actually noticed one. It was almost shocking. Like "Whoa, what is that thing!?....Oh yeah, Nissan makes a 370Z."

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/25/18 7:49 a.m.
Appleseed said:

What he said.

Prices did go up over the 10 years & went back down a few years ago due to poor sales numbers.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man UltraDork
8/25/18 8:38 a.m.

The best part is that they're also $29,990 in Canada, or exactly the same as a Toyota 86 for a more comfortable car with a better engine. The best deal is the Sport trim which adds forged wheels, Akebono brakes, Bose stereo, vLSD and a few other sundries for only a few grand more than base.

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/25/18 9:02 a.m.

G body man beat me to it, they're an even better deal in Canada. Translates to $23,003.67 USD base msrp.

Not sure of then logistics of registering a new car from Canada to the states, but around 2008-2009 people were bringing in tons of American cars into Canada because the dollar was basically at par.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/25/18 2:38 p.m.

We spent last week with a 2019 370Z convertible, and the review will be posted soon. But as others have said, yeah, it's basically a new, 10-year-old car. 

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man UltraDork
8/25/18 6:38 p.m.

Also keep in mind that there are downsides and upsides to it being a 10-year-old car. It feels a bit dated but the aftermarket is huge, it's pretty low on gadgets but the radio doesn't require a PhD to operate, and it doesn't have the latest powertrain and chassis tech but it has hydraulic power steering with decent feel and a high-revving big-cube NA V6.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
8/25/18 10:21 p.m.
Appleseed said:

hat is actually about 19-22% cheaper then in 2009 based on inflation over the last 10 years.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
8/25/18 10:49 p.m.

A loaded up Sentra Nismo is $3-4000 cheaper than a base Z?   

But I’m dreaming - easy talk over here from the big guy.  I’ve got a 16 year old that I’ve got to get through college.  Let’s see what I do in 3-4 years.  

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/26/18 3:00 p.m.

I rented one a few month ago to get from Phoenix to Burbank when American Airlines left me stranded.

As compared to my RX-8, it felt much heavier and less connected but it was an automatic and it was probably fitted with cheap-o hard compound tires. Basically, it was comfortable, refreshingly lacking in pointless techno junk, and represented a nice expression of what a GT car is supposed to be.

I think the RX-8 is a better sports car despite having two additional seats and compares similarly as a GT car but they’re out of production, had significant engine problems, and got bad mileage so it’s no stretch for me to understand why someone would buy a modern Z car.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
8/26/18 4:06 p.m.

Wish I could afford it for sure.  But then I'd cross shop it with any left over NISMO Jukes.  But not the Sentra.  They'll be like under $2k in 10yrs.  I can wait for those.  laugh

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/27/18 9:44 a.m.

I really wish Nissan would release a new Z car soon, but I'm not hopeful. 

I know the 370Z is up on power and down on weight compared to the 350Z, but I was so underwhelmed with my '06 350Z 3 months later I traded it in on a new '10 Speed 3. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
8/27/18 9:59 a.m.
aircooled said:

I am not sure why I have never had any interest in those cars.  Something about it being to big for a small light car and to small for a big powerful car.

This started for me with the first 300ZX back in the 80's. Just never been interested in them much. I did test drive a 350Z when they first came out. I liked the looks, but did not like driving it all that much.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
2/17/19 2:53 p.m.

The CND to USD now makes this entry level Z car $22,646 USD plus shipping.   The odd thing is they list shipping in Canada as $1,950 + $127 regional fees.  

I notice the USA GT-R starts at $99,990 and in Canada this same GT-R starts at $126,100.  They have no plans on losing money on this car.

In the end I am dreaming - I have a 16 year old to get through college.........

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/17/19 3:08 p.m.

Can an American buy one in a Canada Nissan dealership and drive home?

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
2/17/19 4:34 p.m.
OHSCrifle said:

Can an American buy one in a Canada Nissan dealership and drive home?

As I was on the website I chatted with a Nissan rep and they said to contact a dealer in Canada.  

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
2/17/19 5:42 p.m.

You have to be sure that it meets us standards. Tpms may be a hangup. All work would have to be done by a dealership or a registered importer. Then there's paying customs...  

Serious chance all savings would be washed out.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/importing-vehicle

Nitroracer
Nitroracer UltraDork
2/17/19 7:18 p.m.

This sounds like the same story as the Frontier.  No design changes in the last 10 years.  Leads to a pretty reliable vehicle, but not terribly up to date.

Gary
Gary SuperDork
2/17/19 10:32 p.m.

Annie and I are here in Palm Springs, CA, on extended holiday, and I saw a really fine 370Z parked. Sunday morning ... I'm sure the owners are at a nice brunch here somewhere in town. That's what everybody does.  The 370Z's are sort of in my "way-back" memory. This thread, and seeing a very nice example here has re-ignited my lust. However, a 370Z here in SoCal (or South Florida) is so much more practical than one in SoNE where we live in real life. Winter there in the "old-country," as we call it, sucks royally. 

BTW, we'll be here for the Keith McCormick Classic Car Auction next weekend. I'm registered. This is my third experience with the McCormick auction, so who knows what might transpire. Great cars on the block! Stay tuned.

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
2/18/19 2:59 p.m.

I do really like them despite them never be on a personal must have list.  I hear they are pretty track day friendly for the price.

NickD
NickD UberDork
2/18/19 3:45 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

We spent last week with a 2019 370Z convertible, and the review will be posted soon. But as others have said, yeah, it's basically a new, 10-year-old car. 

As I recall, this review ended up being pretty not-positive.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man UltraDork
2/19/19 2:07 p.m.
NickD said:
David S. Wallens said:

As I recall, this review ended up being pretty not-positive.

No surprise there, the 370Z sucks as a convertible.

GarageGorilla
GarageGorilla New Reader
2/19/19 11:00 p.m.

My brother in law has an 05 350z auto. He brought it over recently for me to change a wheel bearing hub and I got to drive it a bit. It wasnt too bad at all - in fact, if it had been a manual I wouldve been quite taken by it.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DN5F2YYyNZcREKEoxp35mDJ9mxHtwl9zZlmoIAKcgH3gGCv1lt09ncH65Z4bAZiE