stroker
stroker UltraDork
9/26/18 9:10 p.m.

so I just watched a 3D printer video on YouTube.   Is there yet a way to convert a 2d image to a 3d printer program  to calculate compound curves?  Or do you have to program the shape in its entirety using data points?  I guess I'm thinking how you'd convert something like a wargaming miniature character figure to get your printer to be able to make duplicates?

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/26/18 9:42 p.m.

To duplicate a 3D thing, you need 3D information.

I'm not sure what you mean about calculating compound curves from 2D info... A 2D picture of a figurine would suggest shapes to a human, but I don't think software would get there automatically.

There are, I believe, 3D scanners which will help you develop that 3D data. I think they mostly also need human data cleanup.

I am not anything resembling expert, and do not even own a 3D printer yet.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant UltraDork
9/27/18 7:37 a.m.

Any object can be scanned, and there is software to build the 3D model from photos.  Better have a pretty powerful computer and/or a lot of time for it to process, if you're doing much detail.  I'm sure someone offers the service.

You could take a stab at building it yourself in Sketchup.  There is a learning curve.

Another option is to check Thingiverse, Yeggi, etc. to see if pieces you like have already been made into printable files.  Some are free, some you pay for.

Another, non-printing option would be to make reusable silicon molds and pour resin casts.

Edit:  One of my goals is to print a Hotwheels-size model of MY car.  It's going to take a while.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/27/18 7:45 a.m.

I bought the stuff to make a scanner and just haven't tried it out yet. It would be perfect for doing miniatures with. An Xbox 360 kinect, some free software from Microsoft, and an old turn table should in theory combine to make a half decent scanner. The trick is to keep the camera the same distance from the object as one of them rotates. There used to be good mobile software for it, but not anymore. 

MOST, to my knowledge, miniatures and rpg objects are already up on thingiverse. At least, I've seen buttloads of them, so it would be worth searching to see if they're up already. Maybe check on a gaming specific forum?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Dm9jX5iQ70AiAMcpc8Mg24uzRTfFyQgiQ5dVqDlzSq1GQ0tEot3zf1bMoZp6PM8k