1 2 3 4 5 6
Casual Six
Casual Six UltraDork
1/17/18 2:14 p.m.
Crxpilot said:
Robbie said:
Casual Six said:

You know what's more infuriating than ten over? Lack of proper lane discipline. Driving the Trans-Canada through Saskatchewan was amazing, literally everyone kept right except to pass.

You mean all 3 other cars?

Hey. No, you're right.

I think three was a little generous.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
1/17/18 2:16 p.m.

I take it the OP isn't a fan of getting your daily triple in, or the old favorite the triple triple?

I'm a fan of no specified out of town freeway speed limit, I'd rather have the old Montana 'Reasonable and Prudent'.  I did once do one hundred miles in one hour out there, trust me, that means a whole lot of time well over 100mph to average that for an hour.

Suprf1y
Suprf1y PowerDork
1/17/18 2:22 p.m.

In reply to Casual Six :

Not really.

The two others were on the other side of the province, but being Saskatchewan you could still see them

racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
1/17/18 2:23 p.m.

I tend to agree with the situational response.  I typically try to keep it no more than 10 over, but traffic and conditions play a huge roll in how fast I go.  As I've gotten older I speed less.  One problem I think exists is that cars today are so good, they are way too easy to drive silly fast.  Most people are in so far over their head in day to day driving, that if anything at all happens, there is no buffer before bad things happen.

As to Atlanta, it is the only place I've ever been where you can have a traffic jam going 90 mph.   It's either 90 or 0.  There doesn't seem to be much in between.  LA is a joy in comparison.   smiley

Casual Six
Casual Six UltraDork
1/17/18 2:24 p.m.
Suprf1y said:

Not really.

The two others were on the other side of the province, but being Saskatchewan you could still see them

Evidently, neither of them were police cars. How weird is it to drive across an entire province and not see one cruiser?

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
1/17/18 2:31 p.m.

Haven't read entire thread so forgive me if I'm repeating something.  Autobahn law that has done most to minimize accidents:  PASSING ON RIGHT SHOULD BE STRICTLY VERBOTEN!

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
1/17/18 2:42 p.m.

In reply to Ovid_and_Flem :

That only works if slower vehicles keep to the right.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/17/18 3:06 p.m.
AWSX1686 said:
Grtechguy said:

More so?   People need to turn on headlights when it's snowing/raining.   That is more of safety factor the speeding.

Please just everyone turn on your headlights ANY time you drive!! The visibility is worth WAY more than a headlight bulb!

NO!  Bad AWSX! <smack>

Daytime headlights in clear conditions are THE SUCK.  You're already driving a car.  People can see you without DRLs.  But if all the cars have their headlights all the time, THEY MASK PEDESTRIANS, BICYCLISTS, AND MOTORCYCLES.  DRLs just raise the visual background noise without contributing to safety.

AND the infernal things are responsible for the berking epidemic of morons driving around at night with 60% headlights and 0% taillights.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
1/17/18 3:19 p.m.
Ovid_and_Flem said:

Haven't read entire thread so forgive me if I'm repeating something.  Autobahn law that has done most to minimize accidents:  PASSING ON RIGHT SHOULD BE STRICTLY VERBOTEN!

Nope. Nope nopety nope, nope NOPE.

Everyone over here thinks that passing on the right (or undertaking as it's called in Europe) should be banned.  No effing way.  I grew up in the UK and learned to driver over there, I drove extensively on mainland Europe as well before moving here.  People over here seem to think that Europeans as a whole are better and more disciplined than people over here.  B.S.  They may understand roundabout, congestion and tight parallel parking spaces better, but it's only because we all grew up thinking those things were normal.  People over here would be just as competent as over there if they'd been born and learned to drive in a European city.  Lane discipline sucks just as much donkey ass as over there.  It was wonderful to move to a country where when you find yourself stuck because there are two lanes of numpties bumper to bumper doing the speed limit or below you can legally move to the right (would be Left int he UK) and pass them all.  Trust me, it makes life better.  Yes yes you can whine on about teaching better lane discipline, but that hasn't happened in the last century of driving so why think there's a magic pill out there to make it happen now?

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
1/17/18 3:49 p.m.
Duke said:

But if all the cars have their headlights all the time, THEY MASK PEDESTRIANS, BICYCLISTS, AND MOTORCYCLES

Studies on this have gone both ways...However, considerably more of the ones I have been able to find indicate your claim as more likely to be false than true.

Like this report from MN that details multiple major studies indicating either no additional risk or a reduced risk to pedestrians, bicyclists, and motorcycles: MN DRL Report

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/17/18 4:30 p.m.
Duke said:
AWSX1686 said:
Grtechguy said:

More so?   People need to turn on headlights when it's snowing/raining.   That is more of safety factor the speeding.

Please just everyone turn on your headlights ANY time you drive!! The visibility is worth WAY more than a headlight bulb!

NO!  Bad AWSX! <smack>

Daytime headlights in clear conditions are THE SUCK.  You're already driving a car.  People can see you without DRLs.  But if all the cars have their headlights all the time, THEY MASK PEDESTRIANS, BICYCLISTS, AND MOTORCYCLES.  DRLs just raise the visual background noise without contributing to safety.

AND the infernal things are responsible for the berking epidemic of morons driving around at night with 60% headlights and 0% taillights.

then you get states with laws that require you to use headlights when the speeds are 50mph or higher on a road without a divider between lanes. I am looking at you, maryland

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/17/18 4:48 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:
Knurled. said:
Suprf1y said:

People moving too slowly is a far bigger problem than people doing 80 in a 70.

And why does everyone park in the CENTER lane???

That's easy.  On a 3-lane stretch of interstate, the gray hairs (and other slowpokes) will drive in the middle lane, as they are out of the left lane where the fast cars belong, but don't have to be concerned with traffic merging into the right lane at every on-ramp.  If you are driving slowly in the right lane, you will occasionally have to brake to allow traffic to merge, which causes a most inconvenient dis-engagement of your cruise control, which was carefully set at 55.  Also, lane changes are harrowing for slow drivers who must contend with rapidly overtaking vehicles running 20 mph (or more) faster than they are.  Loafing along in the center lane fixes all that.

Here's what happens.

A line of 7-8 cars all tailgating in the center lane.

A line of 7-8 cars all tailgating in the left lane because the guy in front has his cruise control set 5mph faster than the people in the center lane.

NOBODY in the right lane, except for the people who are pulling out and passing the lines of zombies because they need to get to their exit and they can't do that when people are driving a car length away from each other in the center lane.

Sounds really "safe".

I have a rule of thumb, that when the cruise control is engaged, the brain is disengaged.

The Ohio state patrols DO ticket people for this stuff, at least.  If you get passed on the right, you are at fault.

Knurled.
1/17/18 4:54 p.m.
Driven5 said:
Duke said:

But if all the cars have their headlights all the time, THEY MASK PEDESTRIANS, BICYCLISTS, AND MOTORCYCLES

Studies on this have gone both ways...However, considerably more of the ones I have been able to find indicate your claim as more likely to be false than true.

Like this report from MN that details multiple major studies indicating either no additional risk or a reduced risk to pedestrians, bicyclists, and motorcycles: MN DRL Report

Were these tests done with old, sensible sealed beams, or modern HID type lights with horrible patterns, and they compensate by being incredibly bright?

People driving with their lights on during the day is why I keep all my mirrors pointed down.

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
1/17/18 5:03 p.m.

here in North Georgia we Have Truck Lanes To the Right on Longer Hills, and the Law States that slower traffic stay right. That doesn't mean the Haitians driving Garbage trucks understand what it's for , They like to Stay in the Left Lane. so people Pass On the Right which is also Illegal.

Toebra
Toebra HalfDork
1/17/18 5:52 p.m.

It is not so much the absolute speed, as the speed differential.

For most people, driving is like sex.  They believe they are doing it right, but the reality is that they have no clue.

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
1/17/18 5:57 p.m.

10 over needs to stop?  Lol yeah this thread isn’t for me.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/17/18 6:02 p.m.
Duke said:
AWSX1686 said:
Grtechguy said:

NO!  Bad AWSX! <smack>

I think it's funny you think just because it's daylight people "see" you. 

Thanks for the laugh, it was a long day at work.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/17/18 6:29 p.m.

The roads I commute on have a 55 mph limit.  On my way in stay in the right lane with the cruise set in 70 and get passed regularly.  Coming home most days once traffic gets out of the city most of the ride is between 70 and 80.  You really have to draw attention to yourself to be pulled over during commuting hours.

Knurled.
1/17/18 6:41 p.m.
Toebra said:

When Ohio raised the speed limit on the Turnpike from 65 to 70, what they found was that traffic generally still moved at 72-78mph, however the speed difference between the means and extremes got smaller.

A year or two later, non toll roads were allowed 70mph limits...

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/17/18 6:43 p.m.
Knurled. said:
Toebra said:

When Ohio raised the speed limit on the Turnpike from 65 to 70, what they found was that traffic generally still moved at 72-78mph, however the speed difference between the means and extremes got smaller.

A year or two later, non toll roads were allowed 70mph limits...

I'm really hoping PA follows along with that, but I know better than to hold my breath. 

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/17/18 9:08 p.m.

RE: daytime lighting is a good thing.  When it's bright you'll see the lights before you see the vehicle due to glare or harsh shadows. In winter when everything is gray and dull and cars are covered in salt,  sand,  and snow it really helps them to stand out from the background. 

RE: speed limits, if you read the actual laws in your states typically have four parts. One, allowing for localities to set speeds lower than the state max on everything other than interstates.  Two, that speed is dependant on the conditions. Three, minimum allowable speeds on certain roads (25 is the min in Vermont). And, four, what fines may be levied. 

Max limits are set using a variety of design metrics.  One being the safest distance you can reasonably see around line of sight obstructions. If the limit is 40 and you use one second for every ten miles per hour then you should be able to safely see up the road four seconds. 

That being said The Eisenhower Interstate System was developed to consistently handle about 70 mph at a time when cars were generally unsafe at those speeds for an extended period of time given tire technology  and so on.  I don't think it unreasonable to be able to do 80 or more on some stretches of Interstate in this day and age. 

I teach DE in Vermont.  I am astounded by many of my colleagues inability  to grasp the nature of vehicle dynamics at speed.  We don't teach it either.  Our model is based off a model leftover from the 60s. Not a good one either.  We are about 42 or 43 in the industrialized world for fewest motor vehicle fatalities.  At one time (the 80s) we were at or near the top.  Both England and Germany (two countries analagous to ours where driving is concerned) are now in the top 3. What changed? Their politicians decided to risk it and require true driver training.  We did nothing.  The manufacturers don't want to wait an additional year or two to sell cars,  parents are pushing to have kids driving as soon as possible to alleviate the parent taxi syndrome,  and legislators fear the backlash from strengthening the requirements and the testing because it might cost more. We, on a state by state basis,  severely curtailed or eliminated DE over the last thirty years. Only about 14 states have any semblance of a DE program that is mandatory. And some of the ones that do merely require passing an online class  with no seat time with an instructor.  

So what does all this mean to the OP? 80 in a 70 is not unreasonable under the right circumstances. But,  until we look in the mirror and blame ourselves for neutering driver education for fear of higher costs,  convenience,  or loss of sales the arguments will continue.  Better DE that has at its core more actual driving time with trained instructors, over a longer period of time,  and licensing at a later age will go a long way towards solving many of the issues the safety advocates and the enthusiasts have about driving in this country.

Want to know more?  Check out Andy Pilgrim's Traffic Safety Education Foundation. 

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
1/17/18 9:46 p.m.
Ovid_and_Flem said:

'cept when encountering the braindead in the left lane who have found it necessary to TEACH TRAFFIC A LESSON!!!!

PISS OFF    CYA!!!!   oh those accidents that's on y'all .......  

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/18/18 7:30 a.m.
z31maniac said:
Duke said:
AWSX1686 said:
Grtechguy said:

NO!  Bad AWSX! <smack>

I think it's funny you think just because it's daylight people "see" you. 

Thanks for the laugh, it was a long day at work.

Exactly, x31maniac, just because it is daylight does not mean people see you. 

Usually I drive an NA miata, and sometimes I ride a motorcycle. People don't see you. And this goes for bigger cars too. 

Why do you think that motorcycles don't have a headlight on/off switch? Any time the motorcycle is on, the headlight(s) and tail light(s) are on.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/18/18 7:33 a.m.
Duke said:
AWSX1686 said:
Grtechguy said:

THEY MASK PEDESTRIANS, BICYCLISTS, AND MOTORCYCLES

Motorcycles have their own lights that are always on.... Granted, older motorcycle lighting pretty much sucks, but still, they are always on. 

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
1/18/18 7:50 a.m.

Daytime = seen?

You obviously don't live in the snowbelt.     White/gray cars around here all but completely disappear on most roads between December and March.

I believe in DRLs

1 2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
36fZrj9ZmsauB0Fu551A3y5c31XJaSip6bD2oiQ3yDNfif0qJ3z6DoN7Ao97ltdG