93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
2/3/12 1:07 p.m.

Ok so I am getting together money for a "utility" vehicle and I have noticed that full sized vans are cheaper then pickups. I am having a really hard time seeing myself driving a full sized van but I could total rock an A-team van replica. What could these vans tow? How hard is to find a V8? How hard is to work on the engine in these vehicles?

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
2/3/12 1:15 p.m.

Fit_Is_Slo, your services is needed. Fit_Is_Slo, please come to the front. Thank you.

Aeromoto
Aeromoto Reader
2/3/12 1:19 p.m.

The late 80s models have the really basic TBI systems, same as the same era pick ups, which is reliable, gets ok mileage, and is cheap to maintain. . They can basically tow the same as the pick ups as well. The removable doghouse is pretty big, so it isn't all that bad to work on. I'd find an '87 up, they had the factory roller cam 350. For towing, you'll get better mileage with the 350 than you would with the 305. Go with some tear drop porthole windows, side pipes, shag carpet, and a mural of dragon or some 70s era funny cars doing a burnout or something

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
2/3/12 1:21 p.m.

In reply to Aeromoto:

Can I swap the quad headlights and grille from a '83-'84 Van on to one of those late ones?

Aeromoto
Aeromoto Reader
2/3/12 1:22 p.m.

Yes sir, no problem.

Aeromoto
Aeromoto Reader
2/3/12 1:28 p.m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktgyl35LuNE&feature=related

failboat
failboat HalfDork
2/3/12 1:31 p.m.

I have that movie. on VHS. Theme song is Chevy Van and the van is a Dodge, haha.

Ive been told the 305 doesnt feel a whole lot more powerful than the later 4.3L vortec in the shorty vans, and has worse gas mileage.

Definately get the 350. You can sometimes find them in the short wheelbase vans but that combo isnt that common.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
2/3/12 1:32 p.m.

I am keeping the back stripped out to carry dirt bikes or race tires and I want it to like this.

cwh
cwh SuperDork
2/3/12 1:49 p.m.

Biggest advantage of a van is that everything is secure. Well, as long as you keep the doors locked. Mileage will be the same as a pick up. I have had a bunch of them over the years, and have preferred the Chevys. Sometimes you can find older conversion vans for real cheap, just look around. You NEED that fold out bed!

failboat
failboat HalfDork
2/3/12 2:10 p.m.

dont forget if you are going to rock a van, get some 15x8 wheels front with some 225/70/15 tires, 15x10 rear with some 275/60/15 tires. It just looks proper

Or, alternatively, 245/60 front and 295/50 rear. Kind of need some flares to pull these off though. Or fiberglass runningboards (conversion van). Wide and low.

That A team van looks like its got something like a 245/60 front, 275/60 rear.

this was mine with 255/60 front 275/60 rear, 8 and 10 inch rims.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy SuperDork
2/3/12 2:21 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: In reply to Aeromoto: Can I swap the quad headlights and grille from a '83-'84 Van on to one of those late ones?

Heck, you could swap the single 7" rounds and the steel grille from a 73 onto it I'll bet.

failboat
failboat HalfDork
2/3/12 2:34 p.m.

I never got to try it but I think the earlier taillights may swap over too. All the sidemarkers are a direct swap, and are shared with a lot of chevy pickup trucks.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/3/12 9:43 p.m.

Do it. WAY more interior room for the wheelbase, lockable, dry, plus way cooler.

I did...

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/4/12 8:43 a.m.

buy buy buy omg buy!

4 speed MANUAL 1983 chevy van

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/2809994434.html

LopRacer
LopRacer Reader
2/4/12 9:15 a.m.

Ladies and Gentlemen "Lamont" I tow with a 86 GMC 2500 but it's the light duty no 8 lug, still pulls my Honda on a dolly like it isn't even there and that is without trailer brakes. The bonuses have been listed secure place to keep everything and a dry safe place to sleep with plenty of space. We have camped at the track several times with a blow up mattress and been plenty comfy. I even slung up a backpacking hammock in the back when I was single and just slept in that. If you get a passenger or conversion model you can pull the seats when you need space and re-install if you need to carry friends along.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/4/12 9:19 a.m.

We had a short wheelbase 1980 with a 350. With a weight distributing hitch it towed a 28 ft camper with no problem, even my mother was comfortable driving it. Not the easiest thing to work on access wise but as simple as could be.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
2/4/12 10:44 a.m.

So basically I am looking for a '87-'96 Chevy or GMC. Is the A-Team van a short wheelbase one?

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade Dork
2/4/12 12:35 p.m.

I think it was an 83-84 G20. The spec I'm finding on the web aren't exact enough, as of yet.

failboat
failboat HalfDork
2/4/12 12:55 p.m.

A team van is a long wheelbase. I think customvan.com has the flare kit, maybe trucknvans.com has it too, of at least they used to.

That style wing is called a Norcal Wing, customvan should be able to get that, same with the visor.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/4/12 1:43 p.m.
patgizz wrote: buy buy buy omg buy! 4 speed MANUAL 1983 chevy van http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/2809994434.html

Is that a column or floor shift? Can't see clearly in the picture.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mzuzWDQ5DOt0ttZ1L80a339CLZldmfNfTZlvFTS7vm81RXXva5n524GppXyr8WU7