1 2
LoneWolf
LoneWolf New Reader
2/8/13 2:16 a.m.

Hi,

A local dealer here in New Zealand has two identically priced vehicles on offer: '85 Dodge Ram http://www.craiggilbertmotors.co.nz/vehicle-detail-6602.html

or a '89 Nissan Skyline GT-R http://www.craiggilbertmotors.co.nz/vehicle-detail-6609.html

There is a market for older American vehicles here, and this dealer regularly buys vehicles from the US. His main business is selling imported JDM mainstream vehicles.

I thought there was a world of difference between the two vehicles, one a tidy truck (nothing special), the other a neo-classic supercar, both for the same asking price.

Discuss.

Grizz
Grizz SuperDork
2/8/13 2:22 a.m.

That is seriously the nicest Ram I have ever seen. Still wondering if they meant 318 or 360 with the 5400 cc thing.

Between the two of them though? Ram all the way. It'll last longer, be more useful, more reliable. The shape it's in now means you'd probably get 30 years out of the thing easily.

Appleseed
Appleseed PowerDork
2/8/13 2:37 a.m.

Skyline, simply because we never got them in the States. But, things may be different in New Zealand.

What are your driving plans? What about parts? These things would sway my choice.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
2/8/13 6:37 a.m.

Well, I can get an 84 Ram with 40,000 miles much cheaper. the R32 would be my choice

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/8/13 6:57 a.m.

truck seems over priced by US standards. Skyline is cool, can't comment on price as we can't get those cars here. Guess it depends on your needs. That truck may be too nice to use as a 'truck' if you need a serious work horse.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
2/8/13 6:58 a.m.

85, auto, gas engined Ram or a 4x4 GTR Supercar

Seriously, unless this is a work vehicle, the GTR all the way, every day

Cole_Trickle
Cole_Trickle HalfDork
2/8/13 7:30 a.m.

Wow that truck is clean. I would enjoy the Nissan more, but if you are in to older American trucks then go for the Dodge. I am trying to picture the looks on my friends faces over here, if I came home with an 80's pick-up compared to a Skyline GTR.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
2/8/13 7:43 a.m.

Godzirra

RossD
RossD UberDork
2/8/13 7:52 a.m.

For US dollars they are closer to $15k. Skyline all the way for that cash.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar SuperDork
2/8/13 8:15 a.m.

That's a nice Ram, but not a $15K Ram. If there aren't that many in NZ then it might make for an interesting collectible to take to cruise nights. But you would really have to love an '80's Ram to spend that.

Matt B
Matt B Dork
2/8/13 8:49 a.m.

Well, this is a comparison I never thought I'd see.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/8/13 8:59 a.m.
aussiesmg wrote: 85, auto, gas engined Ram or a 4x4 GTR Supercar Seriously, unless this is a work vehicle, the GTR all the way, every day

THIS

If you weren't looking for a work vehicle, this was a dumb question. Get that R32 NOW.

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
2/8/13 11:54 a.m.
Grizz wrote: That is seriously the nicest Ram I have ever seen. Still wondering if they meant 318 or 360 with the 5400 cc thing. Between the two of them though? Ram all the way. It'll last longer, be more useful, more reliable. The shape it's in now means you'd probably get 30 years out of the thing easily.

318 is the closest to that.......so I'll guess that. However, I would be amazed if that truck here in the states in that shape would pull more than $5k US. AFAIK, the J-series jeeps are more popular.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
2/8/13 12:00 p.m.

Hnnnnnnnggggggggggg R32 R32 R32 yussss please!!!!!!!!!

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
2/8/13 12:25 p.m.

That GTR will be 25 years old next year...

The truck? If it was a few years newer with a Cummins, sure... but as-is... no. But hey, them folks down under are a bit odd... spending all that time on their heads...

Grizz
Grizz SuperDork
2/8/13 12:31 p.m.
yamaha wrote: 318 is the closest to that.......so I'll guess that. However, I would be amazed if that truck here in the states in that shape would pull more than $5k US. AFAIK, the J-series jeeps are more popular.

Imported vehicle is my guess. If it's rare the price jumps. But yeah, over here that'd be 4-5 grand.

And I guess I'm the odd one out for preferring the truck. I look at it as the price range for a used midsize pickup without all of the complicated E36 M3 to break and need expensive parts to fix. Bout the only Skyline I'd want to own is a GTS-t.

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
2/8/13 12:41 p.m.

Good lord, BUY THE SKYLINE!!!!

Then make a build thread!

Anti-stance
Anti-stance SuperDork
2/8/13 1:08 p.m.

Lol. Everyone is looking at this with American glasses on. Sure that truck is a $4-5k truck here but it was imported there and probably as rare as a R32 GTR here. You guys know that skylines were not exclusively available in Japan right?

Grizz
Grizz SuperDork
2/8/13 1:30 p.m.

Everyone I have ever talked to who went to Japan and bought a skyline got rid of it almost immediately.

Buy neither, waste your money on something better.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance SuperDork
2/8/13 2:14 p.m.

Skylines of various trim levels were all over Okinawa when I was there. I was quite a bit more interested in the micro cars though.

At any rate, I don't really see the cost of either of the OP's links being outrageous.

aircooled
aircooled PowerDork
2/8/13 2:17 p.m.

That's a bit of an earlier Skyline anyway. Might not rise to the level of "Supercar'

Grizz
Grizz SuperDork
2/8/13 2:33 p.m.

In reply to Anti-stance:

I pine for kei cars but I don't think I'd fit in them.

Then again... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfSQk32IK-Q

fidelity101
fidelity101 HalfDork
2/8/13 2:53 p.m.
Ian F wrote: That GTR will be 25 years old next year... The truck? If it was a few years newer with a Cummins, sure... but as-is... no. But hey, them folks down under are a bit odd... spending all that time on their heads...

I know I got that itch too for a 90 mazda cosmo 20b...

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/8/13 3:06 p.m.
Ian F wrote: That GTR will be 25 years old next year...

i'm counting down time and trying to count up cash for that special time for when i can have an r32 GTR imported to me legally without having to jump through the federalization hoops.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
2/8/13 8:26 p.m.

I have a special love for the 72-93 D-Series/Ram.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lFM227xI6k8sEWdpIvvi2NwRB6tgJDXaB3KtHTiyYHsAtRjeIKsYJP5HJzzPRAB8