1 2
Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/4/19 1:51 p.m.
alfadriver said:
Duke said:
Wxdude10 - Mike said:

As a MA resident, I'm of the mind that Brady should move on to his next challenge.

He should try to be in more stupid commercials that John Elway.

I think you mean Payton Manning.  Elway spends too much time running the Broncos to do anymore ads.

Yeah, but Peyton Manning doesn't take himself seriously.  You can't say the same about Elway.  Or Brady.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
2/4/19 2:42 p.m.

In reply to Wxdude10 - Mike :

Instead of making NE a worse team, a better strategy for fans would be to improve the play of all of the rest.  Or even one or two of the rest.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
2/4/19 2:46 p.m.
Duke said:
alfadriver said:
Duke said:
Wxdude10 - Mike said:

As a MA resident, I'm of the mind that Brady should move on to his next challenge.

He should try to be in more stupid commercials that John Elway.

I think you mean Payton Manning.  Elway spends too much time running the Broncos to do anymore ads.

Yeah, but Peyton Manning doesn't take himself seriously.  You can't say the same about Elway.  Or Brady.

Brady makes fun of himself plenty. But your salty tears won't let you see that. I get that fans are sick of Brady, and the Pats, but to say that Brady isn't a good guy(not what you said, but a lot of people do), or takes himself too seriously is just flat out wrong. He's weird I'll give you that. He's also very polished compared the player that came to the Pats as a back up from CA via MI,showing up earlier than everyone else in his yellow Jeep, and staying later. 

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

It was a long terrible time as a pre-Parcells/Belichick/Brady/Kraft Patriots fan when the home games weren't even on TV. Don't hate us for reveling in this awesome period of time that will end soon, and we'll probably go back to being and also-ran franchise. Not all Patriots/New England area fans are shiny happy people. Trust me, there are plenty, but not all of us. Most I know understand that this period of winning has lasted way longer than it should have, but we won't stop loving it because of some fans from other parts of the country don't like us. Call us cheats if you want (it's probably mostly accurate), but most other teams do sketchy stuff too, but no fanbase wants to admit to that. Say the league is rigged, and the Pats get all the calls(probably true), but they also tend to work harder as a franchise than most others so you can't fault them for being ready for most situations. For the record I thought they should have lost that snowbowl game against the Raiders. Also they had no business winning the SB's against the Seahawks, or Falcons either, but both opponents made some monumental boners in both games.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/4/19 3:00 p.m.

I just think the SB would have been a lot better had the refs not absolutely blown the pass intereference call and the Saints were playing instead of the Rams.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
2/4/19 3:06 p.m.

I thought Roger Goodell having to make nice with Robert Kraft and Brady after the game was part of the whole thing.  What a dick.      

RealMiniNoMore
RealMiniNoMore PowerDork
2/4/19 6:10 p.m.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/4/19 6:17 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

Ohh look a bragging patriots fan.   Fun fact. We don’t hate you because we’re not you. We hate you because you’re you. 

Two days a year they get to pretend they’re in a real city, let them have their fun.  

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/4/19 6:50 p.m.
Mazdax605 said:

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Beyond the Patriots hate, the issue is that a lot of people *are* starting to hate the game. The reasons are varied and manifold, but they're doing enough things "wrong" to lose fans.

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
2/4/19 6:51 p.m.

Reminder that 90% of the hate for the patriots is because of the fan base. Same as the Red Sox, Yankees and Penguins.

Stop being obnoxious shiny happy people all the time and people wont hate you so goddamn much.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
2/4/19 7:06 p.m.

In reply to Wally :

Billy club on rhe kneecap, well played! Bruins on the bus?

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
2/5/19 9:10 a.m.
Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
2/5/19 10:07 a.m.

The general public's perception of a Patriots fan is funny. Yes, there are A LOT of annoying fans, just like any other fanbase. I had to share the train this morning with thousands of them going to the parade! But for many of us (yes, I'm a diehard Pats fan, I do live in MA after all), the REAL fans are different. The real Boston Sports fans are self-deprecating and miserable watching this damn team and/or any of the others here. We have seen all of these teams suck in the worst possible way for decades. Winning anything is still a new thing that doesn't seem real to me. We are lucky, and we know it.

I didn't give the Pats a snowman's chance in hell to come even close to making the Super Bowl this year, let alone win the damn thing. Brady is old and tired. Gronk is a shell of himself. There's no one to catch the ball or run with it. The defense sucks and is suspect. They got rid of major pieces in the offseason with no one to replace them. I still believe all of that, yet here we are. That said, the game was a TERRIBLE product until the 4th quarter, and as much as I like a good ol' defensive battle throwback game, I would have much rather have seen a shootout.

And man, if the Saints made it instead, they would have brought it! The LA Rams have, like, 500 fans total. No one cared that they were in the Super Bowl. I have some friends who live in LA, and they all said there was ZERO buzz in the city related to the game. Some were out at bars during the game in the city, and it was just on in the background like some ESPN midday talk show with the volume off. If they won, it would have been a complete disaster for the NFL.

Oh, and one more thing: I don't want to hear it about the cheating, PED's, ETC. Every single team that plays the game does it. They have been since the beginning of sports; some worse than others. The stuff the Patriots did wasn't as bad as some of the things other teams have done! The deflated balls thing was the biggest sham in sports and had ZERO impact on the outcome of any game. Spygate was dumb, but again, every team did that, and it was only illegal because of where they were filming (the Jets did the same damn thing a year prior, and they filmed the Patriots!!!). Doesn't make it right, but every team does that kind of thing to get the upper hand. Disqualify the Patriots, and you'll have to disqualify pretty much every other team that won anything since the beginning of the Super Bowl era.

https://yourteamcheats.com/ wink

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/5/19 12:29 p.m.

I don't dislike the Patriots but I don't really care one way or another if they win or loose.  My life will go on.  I do however find it funny that people take it so seriously about hating them and or there fans.  Watching people have melt downs because the Patriots win is really funny.  What I find sad is when people start insulting and hating whole city's, regions and demographics of people because they hate the patriots and they assume that everyone that live in the north east USA and all other people around the country that happen to be fans of the team are some how mean nasty people that should be insulted and hated.  This is a sad reality of people today.  Sports use to be an escape for me now it is a bunch of ignorant idiots hating and insulting people that they don't even know.  This is the same type of stupidness that NASCAR haters have.  They are taking something that has absolute no importance in "real life" and turning it in to a polarizing divisive thing.  It really is sad.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
2/5/19 2:33 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

People do take sports too seriously. I mean, I love watching my teams win, but it's just a game. The people that you see up on social media after their team loses or trades a star player destroying the stuff they bought in support of the team is just plain dumb. I hate to imagine what they would do in a real, actual crisis. frown

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
2/5/19 2:37 p.m.
Tony Sestito said:

In reply to dean1484 :

People do take sports too seriously. I mean, I love watching my teams win, but it's just a game. The people that you see up on social media after their team loses or trades a star player destroying the stuff they bought in support of the team is just plain dumb. I hate to imagine what they would do in a real, actual crisis. frown

We all forget what all of New England did back 101 years ago when Halifax blew up.  That was some genuine help there.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
2/5/19 2:38 p.m.
dean1484 said:

I don't dislike the Patriots but I don't really care one way or another if they win or loose.  My life will go on.  I do however find it funny that people take it so seriously about hating them and or there fans.  Watching people have melt downs because the Patriots win is really funny.  What I find sad is when people start insulting and hating whole city's, regions and demographics of people because they hate the patriots and they assume that everyone that live in the north east USA and all other people around the country that happen to be fans of the team are some how mean nasty people that should be insulted and hated.  This is a sad reality of people today.  Sports use to be an escape for me now it is a bunch of ignorant idiots hating and insulting people that they don't even know.  This is the same type of stupidness that NASCAR haters have.  They are taking something that has absolute no importance in "real life" and turning it in to a polarizing divisive thing.  It really is sad.

Its really funny when you recall how bad they were when they started as the Boston Patriots. 

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/5/19 2:46 p.m.
Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/5/19 2:51 p.m.
alfadriver said:
Tony Sestito said:

In reply to dean1484 :

We all forget what all of New England did back 101 years ago when Halifax blew up.  That was some genuine help there.

People generally put silly nonsense aside during an actual crisis, even sports fans.  I had somehow never heard of Halifax getting leveled before today.      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halifax_Explosion

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
2/5/19 6:07 p.m.
Wally said:
alfadriver said:
Tony Sestito said:

In reply to dean1484 :

People generally put silly nonsense aside during an actual crisis, even sports fans.  I had somehow never heard of Halifax getting leveled before today.      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halifax_Explosion

There's a great book about it, written by John C Bacon- The Great Halifax Explosion

Good book.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
2/5/19 8:02 p.m.
Tony Sestito said:

In reply to dean1484 :

I'm with you on this. I love to see the Thunder having a great year, that PG 13 reupped and is now having a career year.

Sure, I was disappointed when KD left for the team he choked against, but in the end it's business. And it's funny to read how many people have genuine vitriol toward him.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/5/19 8:28 p.m.

Lucky me. I don't follow team sports.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VRRRQC48lDThAfgo4Cc21msXEl035UmYrbHmSHtiFocCr0DrNTqeY5Obaz14fISW