No Time
No Time Dork
9/11/18 8:04 p.m.
Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
9/12/18 5:48 a.m.

In reply to No Time :

It took me until the end of the vid to actually understand how they work. I wonder what the fenders are made of? Hopefully something slick. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
9/12/18 8:05 a.m.

Looks like the undersides of the "fenders" are blocks of teflon, which I would think is the best choice. It would be a good idea to have a tire spray system to help clear grit from the "fenders."

Edit: I'd think a more efficient if more complicated mechanism would be to have each wheel chain-drive a crank & rod mechanism that moves the suspension up and down.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
9/12/18 8:12 a.m.

“The triangular wheels are the equivalent of riding a normal bike up a 12% grade”

Insert Ian Malcolm gif here

D2W
D2W HalfDork
9/12/18 9:18 a.m.

As an engineer I'm scratching my head as to why? It slow, inefficient, and in no way an improvement on any existing idea. The only positive I can add is it's different than anything I've seen. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
9/12/18 9:55 a.m.

Interesting proof of concept, but...

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
9/12/18 10:05 a.m.

In reply to D2W :

It might be easier to rid up curbs, if you It it with the wheel in the correct position? 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
9/12/18 10:06 a.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

That’s exactly what I was expecting & I kept replaying the first part of the vid looking for one. 

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
9/12/18 10:09 a.m.

The man should work for BMW. He is obviously a master at complication for the sake of complication. 

Not better. Just more parts. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
9/12/18 10:16 a.m.
D2W said:

As an engineer I'm scratching my head as to why? It slow, inefficient, and in no way an improvement on any existing idea. The only positive I can add is it's different than anything I've seen. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

For the lulz, that's why laugh

No Time
No Time Dork
9/12/18 10:48 a.m.
GameboyRMH said:
D2W said:

As an engineer I'm scratching my head as to why? It slow, inefficient, and in no way an improvement on any existing idea. The only positive I can add is it's different than anything I've seen. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

For the lulz, that's why laugh

I believe he made it to take to burning man, so practicality or clear purpose is not necessarily a requirement. 

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
9/12/18 12:36 p.m.

makes me think of the square skateboard wheels that i see pop up from time to time.

 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
9/12/18 12:47 p.m.

What. The. berkeley.

Why?!?!?!?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
9/12/18 1:09 p.m.
edizzle89 said:

makes me think of the square skateboard wheels that i see pop up from time to time.

 

It's actually just an optical illusion that makes these look square, if you measure their diameter you'll find that it's as constant at any angle as any regular skateboard wheel.

These wheels actually have a practical use - they skitter left and right over pavement irregularities, instead of getting caught on them.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
9/12/18 1:56 p.m.
Toyman01 said:

The man should work for BMW. He is obviously a master at complication for the sake of complication. 

Not better. Just more parts. 

This generally applies to most of the contraptions ridden/driven around at Burning Man... complication for the sake of "art"...

Our Preferred Partners
RYxKsAqyAI2MLZqc8wW2vBVcbfMMwJorYaC48o2aBnmp9c2cAztz1YMf33KwqiKj