turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/20/11 2:37 p.m.

http://wilsonville.katu.com/news/crime/wrong-way-driver-wilsonville-racks-multiple-charges/441966

WILSONVILLE, Ore. -- Oregon State Police troopers are continuing their investigation into Tuesday night's wrong-way crash on Interstate 5 that led to numerous charges for the car's driver.

According to Trooper Paul Geark, the OSP Northern Command Center dispatch received a report of a single-vehicle traffic crash at 11:52 p.m. in the southbound lanes of Interstate 5 near milepost 283 north of Wilsonville Road. Prior to the crash, troopers were attempting to find a vehicle they heard from multiple people was driving fast northbound in the southbound lanes of Interstate 5.

According to police, the 1993 Geo four-door driven by Donald resident William G. Honda, 36, was northbound in the southbound lanes of Interstate 5 when it collided head-on into a barrier. Honda was trapped inside the car and was extricated by Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue personnel. He was taken by ambulance to Oregon Health Sciences University for treatment of non-life threatening injuries.

Honda was cited to appear in Clackamas County Circuit Court on the following charges:

Driving under the influence of intoxicants
Reckless driving
Recklessly endangering another person
Second-degree criminal mischief
Unlawful possession of less than an ounce of marijuana

Traffic was restricted to one lane for about an hour.

OSP troopers from the Tualatin work site are continuing the investigation. Wilsonville Police Department, Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue, and ODOT assisted at the scene.

Yep, Mr. Honda apparently got drunk and crashed his Geo after going the wrong way on I-5.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
7/20/11 2:39 p.m.

Well, you know that damned Mr. Honda, always up to no good (??????????????)

triumph5
triumph5 SuperDork
7/20/11 2:45 p.m.

At least he didn't take out anyone but himself

RossD
RossD SuperDork
7/20/11 2:49 p.m.
Pupl Fiction said: Fabienne: Where's my Honda? Butch: Sorry, baby, but I had to crash that Honda.
pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/20/11 3:25 p.m.

My brother-in-law did that a LONG time ago when he was a very different person. Made it several miles down I-79 the wrong way without hitting anything or anyone before getting caught.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/21/11 12:23 a.m.

Gramma's last trip by herself...

Be careful Martha, some idiot is going the wrong way on the freeway.

It's not just one George, it's all of them.

Enggboy
Enggboy New Reader
7/21/11 7:20 a.m.

In reply to RossD:

Who is Zed?

Zed's dead Baby...

Duke
Duke SuperDork
7/21/11 7:44 a.m.

I remember driving home from a party in the middle of the night one night (stone cold sober, but a bit tired) on a divided highway through the countryside. As usual I was in the right lane since there was no traffic to pass and no upcoming turnoffs.

Headlights ahead, car passes going the other way, no big deal. It wasn't until about a mile later I remembered it was a divided highway and the idiot was heading northbound on the southbound side (and yes, I'm sure I was on the proper side). Gave me the shakes for a minute.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Dork
7/21/11 9:09 a.m.

I've driven in Oregon a few times, I don't find this all that surprising.

I -am- surprised that it was a Geo and not a rusty blue Volvo.

Shawn

jeffmx5
jeffmx5 Reader
7/21/11 11:40 a.m.

A friends mom was just in a head-on with a wrong-way driver. I'm not sure of the speeds, but the pictures of the scene it looked like a divided highway - state highway or interstate.

Broke both her legs below the knees. That it. Amazing engineering by Toyota (Camry, I think). Makes you think twice about running around in an older car, especially with kids.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mfZWuGx8QrHf0YH6kAqEZIct45KKaYjVDlEeQXRdmheSueVZv7cIzmKJs2QfBhBC