1 2
Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
10/18/13 8:23 p.m.

Hey guys. It's me again. The last time I was on here I was asking you guys to vote for my kids school. This time it is a vote for my wife. It does require a Facebook account.

My wife runs Deciphering Morgan. This is a blog about her point of view and experiences on raising our kids, but focusing primarily about our son Morgan, who is Autistic.

He his moderate functioning and is mainstreamed in school. Last year you all pitched in very generously for his Autism Speaks Walk Team. He had a great time and loved every minute. Thank you for all the support.

The reason for this post is to get my wife noticed by Babble for the Babble Top 100 bloggers. Although blogging is about as profitable as being a newspaper boy these days, the people used by babble do make some money with the recognition through ads and articles that Babble will pay you for.

So if you don't mind sharing my wife's vote on your Facebook page, just click here.

Thanks in advance.

nicksta43
nicksta43 SuperDork
10/18/13 11:25 p.m.

Done.

I only read a couple of them but I literally laughed out loud several times.

That is seriously very well written. Your wife has a great gift for expressing thoughts and emotion with the written word. Will be reading again.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon SuperDork
10/18/13 11:29 p.m.

shared

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
10/19/13 7:57 a.m.

Thanks guys. I think she is talented too, but like in all relationships, she thinks I am biased and my opinion rarely counts. LOL

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
10/19/13 9:02 a.m.

Shared with the wife, who is a MASSIVE autism advocate and actually works with autistic children on a daily basis. I imagine she will share it with some of her friends as well. Hopefully it helps.

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/19/13 11:13 a.m.

Done.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/19/13 1:49 p.m.

Done and done sir. My wife (before we moved here) worked at a group home for clients with "special needs" I'll tell her about the site when she wakes up .

(don't tell her, but I'm a little jealous of her job)

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
10/19/13 3:32 p.m.

Done sir.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
10/20/13 11:35 p.m.

bump for the Monday

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
10/21/13 11:04 a.m.

I thought if I gave a sample of her work there might be a few more people willing to help out. So here is one of her gems.

Ways I've Traumatized Children (Mostly Mine)

Here lately, I've been losing what little filter I have going on that whole brain to mouth thing. Granted, it wasn't a foolproof deal to begin with, but y'all, it's getting bad. We're talking bad. However, I thought I would put it into perspective for you. Also, I swear I'm not this mean to kids all the time. Swear.

Also, I'm not a bad person... I think.

When Morgan was in the first grade, I once lost my ever lovin' crap and told him and his brother that, when they pitch fits (not meltdowns, fits), they make Jesus cry. Oh, and Santa and the angels weep. That was a fun letter home from the teacher. The phone call was even better.

I accidentally (seriously, it just flew out) told Morgan, as a toddler, "Honey, don't eat out of the trashcan. Vagrants do that." I was on the phone with my cousin at the time. She won't let me live it down.

One year, Bay kept misbehaving- a lot- around Christmas. I mean, nonstop. So... Santa made a little midnight visit to his room... He trashed it with toilet paper, wrapping paper, and left a note, along with Santa's watchman (our version of Elf on the Shelf, much creepier), and a lump of real coal.

I told Bay that if he doesn't stop the nose picking and eating, his teeth will turn green like the Grinch's. Not so bad, right? Well, then I had my friend, Sherie, who works in the dental field, back me up by going into full detail what dentists do to grinchy teeth. She pretty much rocks in my book. This really didn't stop Morgan, however, from doing the same.

I've bacon shamed my child. He's never done it again and I put it on Facebook.

He wasn't that sad, promise. I told him to look sadder.

I publicly shame my children for the weird and bad crap they do on Facebook, especially when it's funny. Not so much anymore because now I can just snap my fingers and say, "I think this deserves a Facebook status." Then, I'll hear cries of "Nooooo! Please don't put this on Facebook!" See, they want y'all to think they're little angels and not hellions. They actually fall somewhere in between.

I told Morgan once that there were no more Handy Manny shows in existence ever. That was around the same time that I had him go to the window to watch for Dora so I could pee alone or just with one child watching. I didn't know he was autistic then, okay?

When my kids asked me where babies came from, I showed them a (cleanish) YouTube video of a woman giving birth. That might not have been well thought out. Morgan ran around yelling, "Turn that OFF! OFF! NOW! NOW! NOW!" Bay sat there, very quietly... then he asked, "But I thought I didn't come out of your vagina. Is there a video for that?" So I showed him a cesarean. That, apparently, is worse. He actually turned green when he figured out that he could have peed inside of my uterus. Whoops.

I once told someone's kid (who is a complete hell spawn) that the presents under the tree are probably from his parents pretending to be Santa, not the big guy himself because he's so damned nasty. This was after the kid had hit my kids over the head with God knows what, broken my stuff, and his mom did nothing. I can't imagine why that friendship didn't last.

This is how I make Bay have a public timeout, complete with me setting my timer to go off the the nuclear holocaust alarm when the time runs out:

Yes, I used sanitizer after this. Because, eww.

Last year, we had a bitch of a neighbor in one of the buildings in our complex. So, when trick-or-treating rolled around, I told my kids (jokingly) that there was an evil witch in that apartment building. Morgan, being Morgan, has never forgotten that. And he wound up being really curious as to which of our neighbors was the evil witch. “Is that the evil witch, Mommy?” he’d ask, despite me telling him that I’d lied.

At one point, we were entering our apartment and another neighbor was coming up the stairs… Morgan blurted out to her, “I don’t care what Mommy says, I don’t think you’re an evil witch at all! I think you’re nice, you’re sweet, and you’re kind.” Well, hell. That’s another neighbor who wouldn’t talk to me after that.

Also, last night (I can blame the pain killers my doc has me on for this), I told a kid who was climbing on the outside of a stair well, second story, "You shouldn't do that. If you fall, you'll crack open your head. You'll probably die. And your mom is sitting right there, not watching you, so I'm not dialing 9-1-1."

Yep, filter is gone. It's a good thing I don't get out much.

mrwillie
mrwillie HalfDork
10/21/13 2:28 p.m.

Done. This one touches close to home.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
10/21/13 4:28 p.m.

Done. . .

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
10/21/13 5:53 p.m.

So I'm not the only one that does mean crap to my kid sometimes. Good to know.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
10/22/13 9:13 a.m.
mndsm wrote: So I'm not the only one that does mean crap to my kid sometimes. Good to know.

We have to get creative with the ginger.

Normal disciplinary steps don't work. LOL takes after his Dad

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
10/24/13 7:10 a.m.

she is up to 241!

our goal is 300

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
10/25/13 8:32 a.m.

255 and climbing!

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
10/25/13 8:45 a.m.
Flight Service wrote:
mndsm wrote: So I'm not the only one that does mean crap to my kid sometimes. Good to know.
We have to get creative with the ginger. Normal disciplinary steps don't work. LOL takes after his Dad

Mine either. Granted he's two- but he's as smart as I am, as manipulative as his mother, and well.... he's two. I've literally dragged him through Target before to clean up his mess in the toy aisle. I get strange looks for that one.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
10/25/13 9:52 a.m.
mndsm wrote:
Flight Service wrote:
We have to get creative with the ginger. Normal disciplinary steps don't work. LOL takes after his Dad
Mine either. Granted he's two- but he's as smart as I am, as manipulative as his mother, and well.... he's two. I've literally dragged him through Target before to clean up his mess in the toy aisle. I get strange looks for that one.

That is winning at parenting right there

mthomson22
mthomson22 SuperDork
10/25/13 12:25 p.m.

Done, good luck!!!

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
10/25/13 12:40 p.m.
Flight Service wrote:
mndsm wrote:
Flight Service wrote:

I'm glad someone thinks so. A lot of it comes from my years of working retail in an affluent community where I could tell you exactly which kids would demolish what displays for how long and what it would take to clean it up. I refuse to be that guy. Manners are something that seem to have been pre-empted by entitlement and coddling, no one knows how to hold a door or say thank you or look someone in the eye or shake hands or sir or maam or clean up after themselves anymore, and I refuse to let my child fall to that. But that's me.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
10/25/13 12:59 p.m.
mndsm wrote:
Flight Service wrote:
mndsm wrote:
Flight Service wrote:
I'm glad someone thinks so. A lot of it comes from my years of working retail in an affluent community where I could tell you exactly which kids would demolish what displays for how long and what it would take to clean it up. I refuse to be that guy. Manners are something that seem to have been pre-empted by entitlement and coddling, no one knows how to hold a door or say thank you or look someone in the eye or shake hands or sir or maam or clean up after themselves anymore, and I refuse to let my child fall to that. But that's me.

My manners came from my grandparents. Wouldn't tolerate rudeness. I firmly believe entitlement and coddling have nothing to do with it.

I was spoiled rotten but I knew that manners were required or Granny's shoe would bring the wrath.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/25/13 1:16 p.m.

This thread renews my faith in parents and parenting.

mthomson22
mthomson22 SuperDork
10/25/13 2:12 p.m.

I've been reading the blog...great writing!! great parenting!!, and heart wrenching.

You guys are good eggs.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Dork
10/25/13 8:40 p.m.

Your wife is funny as E36 M3. I like it when people confess to the E36 M3 they do to their kids. My cousin's son was being a little E36 M3 on a family campout and wouldn't go to sleep. My dad was passed out E36 M3housed snoring like, well, like a bear. She said the bear was going to eat him if he didn't go to sleep. My mom got all upset, but I laughed my ass off.

I should start a new thread about how we have berkeleyed up our children. My son has a "my dad stabbed me and I needed 5 stitches" story. I have to actively prepare myself around "new" people so he doesn't whip that one out.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
10/27/13 12:06 p.m.

she is working on getting a writing job. I hope that someone else sees her talent as well.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dNF1LraHWws9kZXj8yYokDR7khivpv76BGdNODzsCsMaD55cdOcrtIVWPKrxs52D