aircooled SuperDork
5/17/11 1:29 p.m.

Why me not like? - Because stupid

Why because joke make funny cuz bad grammar - Because not funny at start

Write like idiot make funny - No, make stupid you look

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
5/17/11 1:37 p.m.

This thread makes me feel very old. I have no idea of what a meme is, and after reading this I don't really need to.

getting off crotchety old soapbox

RossD
RossD SuperDork
5/17/11 1:44 p.m.

from wiki:

"A "Meme" ( /ˈmiːm/[1]) is an idea, behavior or style that spreads from person to person within a culture.[2] While genes transmit biological information, memes are said to transmit ideas and belief information. The term meme was coined by Richard Dawkins in his book, The Selfish Gene."

It's a term thats been around before the internet but it's a new word to me.

Jay
Jay SuperDork
5/17/11 1:44 p.m.

I couldn't love GRM the magazine or the website more, and believe me, I don't like to be the P.C police or anything or the guy who has a problem with everything thing, but I do have a problem with this...

I find it a bit offensive that you use terms like "meme," "because," and "racecar" etc etc... for your little image macros or whatever in the forums. I myself do not have a racecar, nor am I a happycat or cheezburger owner, but I feel sensitivity for people who are those things as I am a postwhore on the internet, and my Girlfriend is pursuing her masters in the field.

These terms although I'm pretty sure are not even real words, are obviously meant to resemble the words used to describe people with pictures of cats, and it appears that they are used on these boards in a joking sense which, as I view it, makes light of people who are afflicted with internet culture.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
5/17/11 1:47 p.m.

^^ Jay wins.

T.J.
T.J. SuperDork
5/17/11 1:58 p.m.
Jay wrote: I couldn't love GRM the magazine or the website more, and believe me, I don't like to be the P.C police or anything or the guy who has a problem with everything thing, but I do have a problem with this... I find it a bit offensive that you use terms like "meme," "because," and "racecar" etc etc... for your little image macros or whatever in the forums. I myself do not have a racecar, nor am I a happycat or cheezburger owner, but I feel sensitivity for people who are those things as I am a postwhore on the internet, and my Girlfriend is pursuing her masters in the field. These terms although I'm pretty sure are not even real words, are obviously meant to resemble the words used to describe people with pictures of cats, and it appears that they are used on these boards in a joking sense which, as I view it, makes light of people who are afflicted with internet culture.

Yes, now that is a true GRM meme. Where did you find it Jay? Atlanta Craigslist?

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
5/17/11 2:01 p.m.

jay can haz winnar???

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
5/17/11 2:49 p.m.
nnnick wrote: Sidebar: I've been a member of NASA for two years now doing HPDE sessions, I also race in 24 Hours of LeMons in an 82 Audi Coupe. Big respect for the GRM community. Here is a pic of the LeMon:

Keep up the good work on that. Friends and I were watching the first day of Sears Pointless. We loved that you guys were able to limp that car around until the end of the day. We were standing at the top of turn 2 and cheering you on each time that car managed to get to the top of the hill.

nnnick
nnnick New Reader
5/17/11 2:49 p.m.
Derick Freese wrote: Build it to the point where it's something cheezburger wants and sell it.

That has crossed my mind

nnnick
nnnick New Reader
5/17/11 2:51 p.m.
Salanis wrote: Keep up the good work on that. Friends and I were watching the first day of Sears Pointless. We loved that you guys were able to limp that car around until the end of the day. We were standing at the top of turn 2 and cheering you on each time that car managed to get to the top of the hill.

haha, thanks! I was actually the driver when it completely died and didn't make it up the hill that one time. Got to enjoy a nice push-off by AAA

gamby
gamby SuperDork
5/17/11 3:13 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: This thread makes me feel very old. I have no idea of what a meme is, and after reading this I don't really need to. getting off crotchety old soapbox

I'm likely older than you (39) and I find memes to be a riot.

Because Race Car is pretty damn funny to me.

As for memes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_meme

http://knowyourmeme.com/

nderwater
nderwater Dork
5/17/11 3:19 p.m.

Because race car?

I think eyesore just broke the intarnets

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
5/17/11 3:24 p.m.

no no no... because race car!

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
5/17/11 3:27 p.m.

I think the cadillac one appeals to the nerd in all of us.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
5/17/11 4:00 p.m.
gamby wrote:
Joe Gearin wrote: This thread makes me feel very old. I have no idea of what a meme is, and after reading this I don't really need to. getting off crotchety old soapbox
I'm likely older than you (39) and I find memes to be a riot. Because Race Car is pretty damn funny to me. As for memes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_meme http://knowyourmeme.com/

Nah, you are just a Spring chicken, I'm 41. Carry on and have fun with the memes. They don't do it for me, but that's ok. Different strokes.......

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
5/17/11 4:04 p.m.

I'm so confused. Meme' is what my MIL is called, French Canadian for Grandma.

Where do the cars go?

madmallard
madmallard Reader
5/17/11 5:19 p.m.

In reply to RossD:

yeah, but the root word is 'memetic.' Its likely a term coined by a homonym mimetic, which is mimicry. The idea of memetics does include mimicry to some extent, so its easy to make the connection.

But people not knowing the meaning of this origin have reduced the defenition to 'internet joke.' :/

SilverFleet
SilverFleet HalfDork
5/17/11 8:57 p.m.

I like it. But then again, I'm a young whippersnapper and I like this kind of thing (just shy of 30).

novaderrik
novaderrik HalfDork
5/17/11 9:01 p.m.

that site is stupid.. it just wasted about 1/2 hour of my employer's time.. and now i want to buy a "BECAUSE RACE CAR" windshield banner for each of my cars and my 3/4 ton GMC pickup. but all they have is t shirts..

why no "BECAUSE RACE CAR" banners?

oh, yeah- i figured it out.. the answer is "because race car"..

gamby
gamby SuperDork
5/17/11 9:05 p.m.

Seriously, it's a perfect bumper sticker--at least for this summer.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/17/11 10:15 p.m.

I think Wally wrote that PC Police GRM meme

White_and_Nerdy
White_and_Nerdy Reader
5/17/11 10:37 p.m.

I'm surprised nobody's posted this one.

GRM sticker FTW!!!

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
5/17/11 10:43 p.m.
nnnick wrote: Sidebar: I've been a member of NASA for two years now doing HPDE sessions, I also race in 24 Hours of LeMons in an 82 Audi Coupe. Big respect for the GRM community. Here is a pic of the LeMon:

Dude, you're a NASA member, and doing LeMons? Jeez, you belong here. Welcome, and good luck with the website!

I'm tempted to ask where you found a Audi Coupe for $500, but I really don't need that temptation..

EDIT: I actually think I'll go over to my FB account, and put a "like" on it. Maybe that will get you a little more traffic.

Joshua
Joshua Reader
5/18/11 12:52 a.m.
HiTempguy wrote: http://becauseracecar.org/

Are the jets of flame coming out of the exhaust because it doesn't have a Cat? Or is there a lot more to it than that?

novaderrik
novaderrik HalfDork
5/18/11 1:54 a.m.
Joshua wrote:
HiTempguy wrote: http://becauseracecar.org/
Are the jets of flame coming out of the exhaust because it doesn't have a Cat? Or is there a lot more to it than that?

BECAUSE RACE CAR.. jeez..

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PQPG3VgvuNKdpxva9A6Xnsk80jojhspkY0jwf6sbrRI2LWUaqxVQRxX1jT6UYTvF